THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

I have a bunch of rubs that I found in my cabinet and an 8lb pork butt looking to get smoked. I was wondering what combination of the following rubs you'd recommend for a tasty butt. Here's what I got:

3.5oz of Smoking Guns Hot
7oz Yardbird
5oz Spicy Apple
and about 3/4oz of Secret Weapon from Oakridge

I'm going to throw this sucker on my WSM very early tomorrow morning. Feel free to throw out any other suggestions for a killer butt.

Thanks!

I can only say that for sure I would use the spicy apple. maybe a combo of yardbird and spicy apple. Yardbird is pretty salty. Or the secret weapon and spicy apple, never tried the smokin guns hot, but I do have a new bottle that I will be trying soon.

My usual is cherry and spicy apple or either of those two and the pecan rub.

I may be the only one, but I don't like to mix rubs. I think that rubmakers go to great lengths to develop signature flavor profiles.

I think it was Paul Kirk who once described spices like painting with water colors as a kid: You mix yellow and blue to get green, or red an yellow to get orange, or blue and red to get purple, but if you mix them all you get a brownish-grey sludge.

JMHO - your mileage may vary.

David

I can only say that for sure I would use the spicy apple. maybe a combo of yardbird and spicy apple. Yardbird is pretty salty. Or the secret weapon and spicy apple, never tried the smokin guns hot, but I do have a new bottle that I will be trying soon.

My usual is cherry and spicy apple or either of those two and the pecan rub.

I love the Cherry, but I ran out. The hot is really nice. Randomly, I used that with Bovine Bold and it made for an outstanding beef rub. I think that's what got me started on mixing. I get the people that don't like it, but even some of the manufacturers like the Meat Church recommend combining their rubs and it's won them some competitions.

Kinda off topic but sorta similair....I did the same thing...I had 4 or 5 pork rubs I liked but was running out of room in the cuppard.. and though I could taste the difference between them out of the bottle, I couldn't taste much of a difference when doing pulled pork or ribs.....other than SM Spicy Apple. I can always taste that one. I think I mixed together BPS Money, Sweet Money, SM Genies Trinity and Killer Hogs BBQ Rub and put it in a big bottle. Tastes great and just about the same as if I used them seperately. I need to not buy so many and just stick with 1 or 2...lol

Kinda off topic but sorta similair....I did the same thing...I had 4 or 5 pork rubs I liked but was running out of room in the cuppard.. and though I could taste the difference between them out of the bottle, I couldn't taste much of a difference when doing pulled pork or ribs.....other than SM Spicy Apple. I can always taste that one. I think I mixed together BPS Money, Sweet Money, SM Genies Trinity and Killer Hogs BBQ Rub and put it in a big bottle. Tastes great and just about the same as if I used them seperately. I need to not buy so many and just stick with 1 or 2...lol

What fun is that! :laugh: I have so many rubs it's ridiculous! I can't help it though.

Yardbird and spicy apple. I've combined those on chicken with very nice results. Should work great on pork.

Back