THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
It's been a while since I've smoked some food, but I wanted to do something special for fathers day. I've got a few racks of St. Louis ribs, but I'd like to do them dry rub style without sauce because that's what my dad prefers. What are some secrets to getting tasty ribs without sauce? Should I do a mop? Do you still wrap them? Do you rub them before putting them on or just sprinkle after they're done?

I ordered a few different rubs: Yardbird, Oakridge Secret Weapon, and Smoking Guns Hot.

Any tips including cook time, temp, and methods would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rub them, start your coals and let the cooker settle at 250-300 deg. Put the ribs on, close the lid and wait around 3 1/2 hours. If a toothpick goes in and out easily, they're done. Otherwise, wait one beer and test again. The important thing is not to peek.

This is perfect, thank you! One question though, do you think that recipe for a mop will work with any rub?

It should work. I don’t mop at all though. I find it too messy unless you have an open pit. I spritz with apple juice/honey and then sprinkle more rub on top. My Memphis rub does not have salt.

Here’s mine I did last year. 5 hours at 275, no wrap. Bark was crunchy with the repeated spritz/rub layers.

abe87ae5d8832f25c23797148c1c850b.jpg

Rub before going on. If there is salt in the rub, don’t do it the night before.

On the smoker at 259-275 ish. No wrap, no mop, but I do baste them with oil or pork fat 1-3 times during the cook. I figure 4-6 hours depending on all the variables.

3-5 hrs depending on rib thickness,rubbed and not messed with for 2-3 hrs,might spritz when lid is open or may not,don't want crunchy bark so temps in the 225 range and not a thick rub either

Back