What combination of these rubs would you recommend?

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

I have a bunch of rubs that I found in my cabinet and an 8lb pork butt looking to get smoked. I was wondering what combination of the following rubs you'd recommend for a tasty butt. Here's what I got:

3.5oz of Smoking Guns Hot
7oz Yardbird
5oz Spicy Apple
and about 3/4oz of Secret Weapon from Oakridge

I'm going to throw this sucker on my WSM very early tomorrow morning. Feel free to throw out any other suggestions for a killer butt.

Thanks!

I can only say that for sure I would use the spicy apple. maybe a combo of yardbird and spicy apple. Yardbird is pretty salty. Or the secret weapon and spicy apple, never tried the smokin guns hot, but I do have a new bottle that I will be trying soon.

My usual is cherry and spicy apple or either of those two and the pecan rub.

I may be the only one, but I don't like to mix rubs. I think that rubmakers go to great lengths to develop signature flavor profiles.

I think it was Paul Kirk who once described spices like painting with water colors as a kid: You mix yellow and blue to get green, or red an yellow to get orange, or blue and red to get purple, but if you mix them all you get a brownish-grey sludge.

JMHO - your mileage may vary.

David

I can only say that for sure I would use the spicy apple. maybe a combo of yardbird and spicy apple. Yardbird is pretty salty. Or the secret weapon and spicy apple, never tried the smokin guns hot, but I do have a new bottle that I will be trying soon.

My usual is cherry and spicy apple or either of those two and the pecan rub.

I love the Cherry, but I ran out. The hot is really nice. Randomly, I used that with Bovine Bold and it made for an outstanding beef rub. I think that's what got me started on mixing. I get the people that don't like it, but even some of the manufacturers like the Meat Church recommend combining their rubs and it's won them some competitions.

I used to rub the night before but honestly I couldn't tell the difference, so now I just rub before i start the smoker or after.

Kinda off topic but sorta similair....I did the same thing...I had 4 or 5 pork rubs I liked but was running out of room in the cuppard.. and though I could taste the difference between them out of the bottle, I couldn't taste much of a difference when doing pulled pork or ribs.....other than SM Spicy Apple. I can always taste that one. I think I mixed together BPS Money, Sweet Money, SM Genies Trinity and Killer Hogs BBQ Rub and put it in a big bottle. Tastes great and just about the same as if I used them seperately. I need to not buy so many and just stick with 1 or 2...lol

Kinda off topic but sorta similair....I did the same thing...I had 4 or 5 pork rubs I liked but was running out of room in the cuppard.. and though I could taste the difference between them out of the bottle, I couldn't taste much of a difference when doing pulled pork or ribs.....other than SM Spicy Apple. I can always taste that one. I think I mixed together BPS Money, Sweet Money, SM Genies Trinity and Killer Hogs BBQ Rub and put it in a big bottle. Tastes great and just about the same as if I used them seperately. I need to not buy so many and just stick with 1 or 2...lol

What fun is that! :laugh: I have so many rubs it's ridiculous! I can't help it though.

Yardbird and spicy apple. I've combined those on chicken with very nice results. Should work great on pork.

Back