Weekend Chili Pron Fest - October 31 to November 2

I haven't had this much fun making Chili in a long time! :cool:
This was a blast, and Pop was very very happy. :biggrin:

Here is my family's "Texas Red" Chili :-D

It's always served with Cornbread, Dill Pickles, and Sharp Cheeder Cheese. :wink:

Today instead of using "chili ground" Chuck Roast (which is what we usually use), and the stove - i hauled out the Kettle Sr., grilled up the meat on Some Texas Post Oak and a little Texas Mesquite, then later left the pot in there to simmer for 3 hours, with a few small Texas Pecan chunks. I also added chopped roasted corn nibblets and chopped Japs to the cornbread. And the cheese was a Fine New York style extra-sharp aged cheeder. :biggrin:

For play-by-play see seperate thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51592

picture.php

Everything combined, ready to rock..
picture.php

After 3 hours of simmerin in the Kettle
picture.php

Ready to eat :-D
picture.php

picture.php

Pop was happy :biggrin:
picture.php

Never gave out this recipe to anyone before, and had plenty ask, so ifin ya make it, kudo's go to my dad, it's his. :cool:

*The following is for 1/2 recipe, and will make 6-7 bowls of chili, if you want a whole recipe, just double everything except, salt to taste

Sauté in butter/EVOO mixture, or Lard if you have it:
2 Yellow onions, diced
1 Green or Red pepper, diced (I used red, and lightly roasted this prior to chopping today)
4 garlic cloves, finely diced

Separately brown 2.5lbs Chuck Shoulder Roast, “Chili Ground” or "cubed" - medlarge. Today, I used the Ol’ Kettle Sr. and did all the cookin outside and cubed the meat in med. Large size… it was tender as butter when we ate. It was the best chili I ever ate. Cooking the chit outside over wood made all the difference in the world.. like duh!)/
ALWAYS save all meat juices. You may skim fat (if you have too :( the next day after it hardens on top in fridge)
Mix with veggies then

Add:
(1) – 28 oz. “Cento” Crushed Tomatoes
(1) – 10 oz. can Ro*tel Tomatoes (“original”)
3.5 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
2 Japs, chopped (I use fresh and lightly roasted them today prior to chopping)
2 cans of Beef Stock, or 1 can of stock and 1 bottle of dark or amber beer. (i added a good splash of red wine in there tonight for a little "love")

Simmer slowly for 2.5 hrs then

Add:
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp oregano

Simmer minimum of 30 min. more, or until beef chunks are tender
Enjoy!

Last edited:
This started out a MoFo Brisket Chili, but i realized when I went to cook that I forgot to take any brisket out of the freezer :rolleyes: Then, as i went along I found that I was modifying other things, so I'm going to call this...

Ronelle's IlFo Chili

Serves: About 10-12

Ingredients:
1 lb. diced Round Steak
1 lb diced Pork
4 strips cooked bacon (cut up)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 small onion (diced)
2 Poblano pepperd (chopped)
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs seasoning salt
3 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs dry mustard
1 tsp ground oregano
1 can Rotel
1 can diced tomatos
1 12 oz. can V8 Hot and Spicy
1 small can tomato paste
1 12 oz. bottle dark beer

Cooking Instructions:
1. Season the beef and pork with Plowboy;s Bovine Bold, brown in a skillet and place in bottom of a large crock pot
2. Chop garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference. Chop poblano peppers.
3. Fry bacon slices in large skillet until nearly crisp. Chop bacon and retain grease in skillet.
4. Put bacon back in skillet along with diced garlic, Poblanos and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent.
5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.
6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned.
7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your preferred heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full.
9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well.
10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows. Here's the process...

1 lb of beef and one lb of pork
IMG_4875.jpg

Seasoned with Bovine Bold and browned
IMG_4876.jpg

Onions, peppers and some of the other ingredients
IMG_4877.jpg

Four slices of bacon sizzling in the pan. Oops... I guess I cooked one to many. I'll have to eat it! :-D
IMG_4878.jpg

Veggies and bacon back in the pan
IMG_4879.jpg

The beer. New Glarus Brewing Company Coffee Stout
IMG_4880.jpg

The mixture with the tomatoes and tomato paste added
IMG_4881.jpg

and in the spirit of Big Mista, deglazing the chef :-D
IMG_4882.jpg

Added the beer and V8
IMG_4883.jpg

Everything into the crock pot
IMG_4884.jpg

I also made some Corn Bread with chopped Poblano Peppers
IMG_4885.jpg

Six hours later it was time to eat...
IMG_4891.jpg

I also borrowed a presentation idea from Bearcat. He used this at Lamb's Farm to win the People's Choice chili. Thanks for the idea, Bearcat!

A Chili Margarita
IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

HOT DAMN!!! You allwere some busy chili/e heads this weekend. I couldn't do the live fire and Dutch Oven thing, but I got both done on Saturday.
Here you go fellow Chile/i heads................
By the way, all the chili/e pron I saw was farkingtastic looking stuff!!!:eusa_clap
2997426569_4f7bdc6ee3_o.jpg

Boiling down the green maters.
2997426595_a16d4721db_o.jpg

A few ingredients. That smoked sausage is good chit. Sam's product. Course the Hatch stash and red chile concentrate.
2997426611_f2d84fdf3f_o.jpg

I'm making chile and look what Best Buy brings to me!! It even showed the official Brethren commercial!! It's a glorious 61 inches of viewing pleasure!!:-D
2997426619_65efb8363d_o.jpg

Green tom puree.
2997426625_0a86857b52_o.jpg

Slow sweating some bacon and onions in the CI pan.
2997426627_36654c34bf_o.jpg

Here's my secret weapon!!! This ain't vanilla ice cream........it's farm fresh lard!! I used a couple TBS's to brown all the meat!! PORK FAT RULZ!!!:twisted:
2998273378_7c9ffdb866_o.jpg

Sausage for the green chile.
2998273388_3ceb9447be_o.jpg

Beef for the red. Can you smell the lard?
2998273398_232df1455e_o.jpg

Pork frying in lard.............I almost stopped here and just made carnitas instead!!
2998273406_bcb7b4d29f_o.jpg

Taters in lard for the green!
2998273424_90fe18948b_o.jpg

Hatch Chile...........Bob Brisket B Q Brethren!!!
2998273436_53ba69f90c_o.jpg

Green chile concentrate. This was the first time using green maters as a base....................it was good chit. Color was bright, and so was flavor!
2997445167_6a864eebdd_o.jpg

Texas Red base.........Forgive me Brethren for I have sinned............The beaner in me had to add beans to the chile. I must confess!!! Sorry fellow Texans!!
2997445185_79d9bc96b0_o.jpg

Here's the spark plug.......a frozen Hab from the garden. This little bastidge took a swin the the chili and turned up the heat a few notches. I still got a baggie full of these from last year's garden.
2997445191_6b9112fda6_b.jpg

I had to have a bowl of each. GO RAYS............Maybe not! Sorry FLFO's. Some buttermilk bread to sop up the juices!
2997445273_0b5df61c8b_b.jpg

Red Centerfold!
2997445287_17285a0003_b.jpg

Green centerfold.

EnJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, that pulled chuckie looks awesome. What temp did you cook to? How long did you let it rest before pulling?

Yeah, I had a hard time turning it over to the Mrs. It was the first chuckie I've ever done. I rubbed it w/ Plowboy's Bovine Bold (Mmmmmmm...), put it on the egg (running at 230°), took it to 165°, foiled, and went to 205°. It was really good and I'll definitely be doing more.

The only thing I didn't like was the consistency of the pulled beef in the chili. Next time, I'm going to try and cube it.

Thanks,
Bret

Personally, I like beans, pintos in particular. I just don't like them in Chili. So, purest that I am, I made my chili without, but fixed them on the side. No receipe available, because I habitually use whatever is available. This mix has quartered tomatos, simmered in the crockpot for about 8 hours till the broke down to skin and juice. Chili powder added to darken the sauce, sweet red, yellow and orange peppers. Jalepenos and green chili peppers. Onion and garlic. About 8-9 lbs. of smoked pork butt, left over from the pulled pork butts from last week (yes, they had been frozen since then.)

I like my burritos "wet" sometimes, so I made one with both the chili and the beans, plus beans on the side, then a bowl of straight chili. I'll probably fart all night, but it was gooooood!

Attachments

• 399.jpg
    399.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 116
WOW! Great pics and recipes folksI I'll post my "Chile Verde" with "Smoked Pork Butt" pics and recipe when I get home this afternoon. We finished up a bit too late last night to post pics. :p

Last edited:
Now that I'm home...here is my "Chile Verde" with "Smoked Pork Butt"...

Ingredients...

3 T Bacon Fat, 1 C Chopped Onion, 2 LB Cubed Smoked Pork (1/2 inch), 2 T Flour, 1/2 t Ground Cumin, 2 Garlic Cloves (minced), 10 Anaheim Chilies (roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped), 3 C Chicken Stock.

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

Life is Good...:razz:

IMG_6081.jpg

Hey Mick...no beans! :lol::lol::lol:

I see, I see. You make that just about like I do. Some day try just putting in a can of Ranch Style Beans. It really adds to the flavor. I actual won a chile cook off back in the 90s with it.
ranch_style.jpg

Momma came home and said that the green chile was too hot and she needed some beans. So I made a pot of pintos for her to put the chile on. She's happy!

DSC01592.jpg

90508005-1.jpg

I love your Mama Mick, bless her heart, what a perfect bowl of pinto's you made for her!

Your chile verde was superb (i love HOT), but i also love pinto's. I could think of nothing better to add to that bowl of pintos than a good spoonful of your verde. :eusa_clap

Well done hombre :biggrin:

Okay! The weather is turning colder and it's Chili time. Several threads on Chili so far.

I propose a weekend Chili Pron Fest. Who is up for fixing chili this weekend and posting your pron here.

No winners or losers.

Just great chili pron.

Pictures and recipes...

Hey Larry my man, this Chili thing was a lot of fun :biggrin:, what-say we do some "BEANS"? Comfort style, any kind - any way, for another Winter Pron Fest before the end of the year?

... and don't forget the Turkey Pron Fest!

Beans are so cool, there are so many different varieties ... and so many different ways to cook them. :cool:

I love your Mama Mick, bless her heart, what a perfect bowl of pinto's you made for her!

Your chile verde was superb (i love HOT), but i also love pinto's. I could think of nothing better to add to that bowl of pintos than a good spoonful of your verde. :eusa_clap

Well done hombre :biggrin:

Gracias! I needed them quick so I pressure cooked them in 30 minutes from dry. They came out surprizingly well! I never want momma to wait.

late entry with some chili I did on Sunday.....Football food!....Bowl o' Texas Red from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania....For meat, I pulled out some vac sealed meat from the freezer.....chopped rib skirt, pulled beef (chuck roast), and cubed up some brisket.....meat mixed together, put in a foil pan and "double-smoked" on the drum at 200 for 2 hours....sweat some onion with chili powder, chipotle, smoked geen chili powder, paprika, garlic powder....added Yuengling lager, tomato sauce, and a can of Ro-Tel.....added meat...adjusted spices.....simmer for about 2 hours...added masa flour to thicken...then secret ingredient, a little chocolate to "smooth" out the flavors....served top with some sharp cheese, sour cream and green onion....Good stuff!
Meat on the smoker:
099.jpg

096.jpg

098.jpg

104.jpg

106.jpg

My "Bowl O' Red:
107.jpg

Man, this is a great thread. Its like an interactive recipe book with pics.

Back