WalMart $10 for 30# Lump

Stopped at the local Wally World near the office and picked up 3 bags on the way home yesterday. Wife wanted do know why in the world I needed more charcoal... I think I have at least 5 of the KBB two packs in the garage already.

I've been using it more than 1 month in my Humphreys Battle Box (smoking) and my Green egg, cooking pizza's mostly. On my second bag now. I found no rocks in bag 1 and no under charcoaled pieces. Burns clean tho it seems to take longer to come up to temp and during 500 degree pizza cooks I seem to have more lump left then I do with RO lump. I like it and for $10 for 30lbs a great deal.

I just tried it last night and was very happy with it but had some large pieces but was easy to break it up .

I thought the bag was pure garbage. My lump pieces are mostly smaller than regular briquettes.

Weird. I'm into bag 4 and the size consistency is the best I've ever seen of any lump I've ever used in the last........however many years I've been doing this awful hobby :caked:. Do you have other bags? Pics?

Weird. I'm into bag 4 and the size consistency is the best I've ever seen of any lump I've ever used in the last........however many years I've been doing this awful hobby :caked:. Do you have other bags? Pics?

It was promising at first but most of the bag is like what I have in my hands. Over half of the bag is like this. Guess I’ll use it on my Roccbox.

225a094d2900688159dfed0ddd980701.jpg

289d509404e42aac95c185ac57dc8b61.jpg

I find this post both puzzling and humorous. I live about 100 miles from that plant. Here is my story. Had been using Ozark Oak since the late 80's.

Robert

I've used a Hasty-Bake since 1996 and always used the Hasty-Bake brand lump. It was rebranded from the Ozark Oak factory. It was very good, but I have to say Rockwood is even better! Problem is, Rockwood is pretty expensive, normally around $28 per bag. I don't like to spend more than $1 per pound and even that is gettin crazy. Just last weekend, I was able to get Rockwood at my local Ace Hardware for $20.24 per 20lb bag so i picked up 4 bags.

Opened a bag up yesterday, top chunks are very large, we shall see if the rest of the bag is the same.
Sparked like hell in the chimney though. Once lit it burned great though.

Used it for the 1st time this weekend. I liked it better than RO. Good sized pieces, almost no bad smoke on start up. Didn't seem to last long on the smoker, but I am used to briquettes.

I bailed. Three WM’s showed in stock, went in person- none to be found. Our United had a sale on Organic Nature All Natural Hardwood Lump. Bought three bags @11$
So I have 1.75 bags of Western, 3 of Organic Nature and three full bags Kingsford Hickory briquettes. I’m good for a few months. My search is over.

Finally tried the bag that I bought 3 or 4 weeks ago. I will say on initial light up it had more snap, crackle, pop than Rice Krispies. Reminded me of one of those sparkle fountains that you buy during the fourth of July. Might not want to use it if there is a burn ban issued. Once lit (1 1/2 chimneys)and dropped into the Vortex in the 26" kettle for cooking some burgers, it settled down and cooked well. No noticeable, off putting smells. Big and little pieces like a lot of lumps, but no slab wood or flooring material noticeable from the top of the bag. three hours later, the thermo on the kettle was at 300 degrees. I did not lift the lid to see how much was left. Vents were wide open on top an bottom.

According to Brickseek, the inventory is spotty. But I did see a big stack at the Wal-Mart that I frequent the most. I deem it good enough for the girls I go with or close enough for gubmint work.

At this price I think I'll pick up a few more bags.

YMMV

Robert

It was promising at first but most of the bag is like what I have in my hands. Over half of the bag is like this. Guess I’ll use it on my Roccbox.

225a094d2900688159dfed0ddd980701.jpg

289d509404e42aac95c185ac57dc8b61.jpg
Isn't charcoal supposed to look like that?

I have problems when charcoal is small enough to fall through my expanded iron grate at the bottom of my Weber.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Back