WalMart $10 for 30# Lump

I burned through 2 of the 13 bags I got. Man this stuff is the best charcoal around right now. I'm sitting on over 600lbs of this and RO lump so I'm not buying more. But it was damn hard not to grab more when I was there Sunday. If they drop the price to clear it out I will probably grab more.

Hail wind rain overnight. Not fond of wet roughs and bunkers. May cancel tee time and search other 2 WM’s. Two I went to showed it in stock via Brick and WM App. Nada—Associates couldn’t locate it.

Almost through my first bag, consistent size, a few big pieces. Burns real hot it seems, though I am not used to lump. Like it alot better than briquettes.

"I don’t think having 5 bags on hand is hoarding- specially not around here."
At one time I had over 400lbs of KBB in the garage. I have around 200lbs of charcoal right now including 4 bags of this Western. I haven't tried it yet.

I showed your post to my wife and said "See, I'm not the ONLY one" :pound::pound::pound:

I just started using mine this week, and I noticed a very dark and weird smelling smoke rolls off of it for the first 5-10 minutes after lighting the chimney. Really strange. It also has been taking a full 15-20 minutes to get fully lit for me, which is longer than RO takes. Once it does get fully lit it burns nice and actually lasts for several hours. But that initial odor and billowy black smoke......I'll have to get into bag #2 before I decide if I keep buying it or not.

Bought a few bags myself.Yet to try it.I miss the days of buying Ozark Oak by the pallet for three bucks a bag at the plant at Yellville. Got about 15 bags of OO left.Holding on to it like a family heirloom.I only use it for prime rib smokes for family.

I find this post both puzzling and humorous. I live about 100 miles from that plant. Here is my story. Had been using Ozark Oak since the late 80's. Started competing in 1996. Called the plant in 1997 and asked if I could buy a pallet or two. Owner said "nope don't sell to the public, but you can buy it in a lot of local stores", and hung up. A few years later, I see someone post on a BBQ related forum that they had just made their annual trek to Yellville and picked up a pallet. So I call the plant again. Talk to the owner. Ask to buy a pallet and he says nope, I don't sell to the public. I say, well, I saw a post on a bbq forum about a guy buying a pallet. He then says the guy was a long time customer yada yada but no he doesn't sell to the public. From that point on I would see several people post the same thing. So around 2012 I decide to try again because the posts about folks picking up pallets became more frequent. So I call and tell the guy that for the past 15 years I have seen the posts and I have tried to buy from you and is there anyway I could buy a couple of pallets. He goes off on a profanity laced tirade about how he could spend all of his time trying to appease every Tom, Dick and Harry who wanted to buy a pallet. Said he had so much demand from retail stores that he couldn't keep up. But if I wanted to buy a semi truckload, then we could talk. Otherwise, quit wasting my time. So I continued to buy the bags in the local store until they disappeared. Sure was good charcoal though. I miss it.

Picked up a bag of the Western, but haven't tried it yet.

Robert

Last edited:
Are you guys using lump in a kettle? I always use lump in my Kamado but I’m going camping this weekend with my new Jumbo Joe & instinctively grabbed my bag of KBB. Just saw this lump in my local Walmart & almost grabbed a bag but went blue & white to be safe.

Are you guys using lump in a kettle? I always use lump in my Kamado but I’m going camping this weekend with my new Jumbo Joe & instinctively grabbed my bag of KBB. Just saw this lump in my local Walmart & almost grabbed a bag but went blue & white to be safe.

I choose between lump and KBB based on cool temp and time. Lower and slower = briquettes. Hotter/faster = lump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I am. Using it in my 22 and my 18, and an aluminum Charbroil that's shaped like a PK grill too. You wouldn't have any trouble with the Western lump in them at all.

picture.php

Low ash residue
3+ hr burn time
1 lb of coconut charcoal equals 2 lbs of traditional charcoal.
Ashes can be used as fertilizer
4 pack contains (4) individually packed COCO-BBQ for (4) BBQ's

Anyone tried this? Saw this at Wallyworld......

picture.php

Low ash residue
3+ hr burn time
1 lb of coconut charcoal equals 2 lbs of traditional charcoal.
Ashes can be used as fertilizer
4 pack contains (4) individually packed COCO-BBQ for (4) BBQ's

Anyone tried this? Saw this at Wallyworld......

I have not, but I know Troy over at Weber Kettle Club is a big fan of the coconut shell briquettes.

Yep I use lump in my kettle. No issues at all, but I usually reverse sear everything.I use it in my jumbo joe as well while camping. I place the coals in a mini vortex.

Back