the ultimate pot to cook chili!!

I would like to hear more about competition chili. What are the soem of the regulations typically used? Sounds good!!!

I think since it has beans, it can only technically be called "soup" in TEXAS...
And it would probably be called "gravy" in New Jersey.

Good thing I live in Florida. We don't have to abide by those "Texas" rules.

Seriously, just the same as there are various Q's from different parts of the country (and the world for that matter) there are also different types of Chili.

If you don't want beans ... don't use them. But ........... don't try and say what I make is NOT chili just because your concoction, lacking beans, is your idea of chili.

In reality, the pepper is the Chili - so, if it has chili's in it, it can be called chili - I guess.

That said, I have also had some of what people have called chili that I wouldn't go near with a spork, let alone a good chili eating spoon.

I would like to hear more about competition chili. What are the soem of the regulations typically used? Sounds good!!!

You asked.

The Rules and Regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:

1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
which are strictly forbidden
2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which
are strictly forbidden
."

"

We were in some kind of chili organization that notified us of the upcoming events but we didn't have the rules listed above.
one time the local preachers wife entered chili mac and all the local judges voted for the chili mac.

Tell me about it. My brother sends me Skyline at Christmas every year. Dog food in a can and the whole 5 ways from Sunday is odd.

Texas red for this Maine-iac ain't got no beans.

I went to a chili place in Cincinnati (I-75, exit 29, across the street from the truck stop. it wasn't skyline but same setup. "5 star chili?"). they had regular chili and "Texas`Chili". I asked what the difference was. she proudly told me "the Texas chili has beans!"

We were in some kind of chili organization that notified us of the upcoming events but we didn't have the rules listed above.
one time the local preachers wife entered chili mac and all the local judges voted for the chili mac.

Now, that's funny. Local rules are different everywhere. I've seen some of the strangest concoctions you could imagine presented in local chili cook-offs, and some of the weirdest ones win.

Chuck

Beans may not be everyone's way but thats how most Northerners have learned to make it, so in my attempt to ween myself from all those beans floating around which seems to draw so much attention as being a no no, I run them through a food processor until they are almost completely unreconizable(?) and blend them into my chili, it helps make for a nice thick sauce as well.

Brilliant ! :thumb:

Beans may not be everyone's way but thats how most Northerners have learned to make it, so in my attempt to ween myself from all those beans floating around which seems to draw so much attention as being a no no, I run them through a food processor until they are almost completely unreconizable(?) and blend them into my chili, it helps make for a nice thick sauce as well.

I also modifify my chili, only I omit the beans and replace them with more meat! :becky:

In all seriousness, I don't put beans in my chili because I don't like them.

I use beans in my chili because I do like them. :clap2:

I also use "ground beef" in mine (also called hamburger :-D)

I do NOT use sausage, usually no pork at all - not in the chili - I like the pork as Q or roast. (sometimes we use venison - but it is also ground)

Since I am not competing and am not worried about impressing anyone else ... I cook the chili the family likes. (Don't have to worry about no stinkin' rules)

It's great to cook for yourself and not have to worry what a judge will like - or dislike. :thumb:

Back