It's is going to be chili at Juggyville today....

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
My friends have been donating all sorts of peppers and tomatoes from the gardens. I decided to make chili. I have a recipe written down that I try to follow, but I regard recipes as recommendations and not to be followed to the letter of the law; just like I regard speed limit signs.

I have blanched the tomatoes, skinned them and diced them into 1" cubes. The peppers have been washed and sliced and are ready to go. I have several cups of Vidalia and red onions diced as well. I will brown up three pounds of deer burger and add six cups of cubed brisket point too. I add spices to the mixture to taste and add my secret ingredient of Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout. It is a 16 ounce bottle of which 8 ounces goes into the chili pot and the other 8 ounces goes into the cook's pot belly. Oh I almost forgot the most important ingredient, red chili beans and black beans. This should make about two gallons of chili. Once cooked and cooled, I will fill several 7 cup containers and freeze them for future use. This way I won't be eating chili every day for the next month.

This chili cook today cost me the last of my burnt ends that I had planned on using for my BBQed bean recipe at the upcoming American Royal contest. I went to the store yesterday and bought the biggest and most expensive brisket I have ever purchased. The cost was 5 bucks a pound for 21 pound prime grade brisket! With tax that final cost was almost $115.00! That is more money than I spent on my first vehicle (and it was in running condition) and it cost more than my first entry at the AR contest back in '89.

Oh the things we do for chili..........

Back