The KCBS Secret

Sounds like another positive step for the growth of KCBS and BBQ....I can't see how that's bad; reguardless of where you buy your product or how it was announced.

Good job outta KCBS/MMA IMHO.

Oh, and a couple other things (all my opinion)-
no way the board didn't know about this...

the release wierdness is called marketing (its what we pay MMA to do), look at the buzz it generated for several days, the splash will be bigger as a result once it is officially posted (our government, the NFL, NASCAR, and others do it all the time...its called warming up the system)...

I agree that it should have been announced on the KCBS site first - so they could link their facebook posts back to the site to create traffic to go there.

That said, I think facebook is a great way to get the word out. Over 3,300 people could possibly see that message instantaneously. We can't dismiss how fast social media gets the word out as it pushes the news rather than makes users come and find it.

BBQ on FB is expanding greatly
It is superior to some forums

agree

However us members know little about the partnership. Having the social media posts link to a press release on the KCBS website for us to read would answer a lot of questions.

Like Smoker Joe says above - I think this is great and I'm not bagging it a bit. I do know I wish I knew more about it though.

You will also be seeing some bigger prize money at comps too. It seems that BBQ Pitmasters has lured in a lot of big money sponsors. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Ford Pickup offered to a GC soon.

its pretty sad I work at Sams and this is how I found out.
But should be a good thing for both KCBS and Sams

Too bad they didn't partner with Restaurant Depot...that would have been a killer combo! :cool: Kudos to KCBS! :thumb:

Maybe the new prizes will be a briquette machine or a new Lump charcoal maker! Or even your own kiln to make your own BGE's! or maybe not as thats just me thinking again without my foil cap on

Cool! I hope I can get cheap steam pans, aluminum foil, nitrile gloves, cases of water and EZ Ups. Meat? LOL! Doubt Sam's is ever gonna carry Wagyu! :thumb:

So I wonder if I will be able to cancel my paid membership to Sams and get it free through KCBS.
I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Can they order case quantity for you? THere are enough of you going to the one in Ames you think for the summer they could stock up if you asked.
I get some pretty decent stuff from my local Sam's. And the case prices are always very good. I call, and 2 days later, pick it up. I am looking forward to this.:thumb:

So I wonder if I will be able to cancel my paid membership to Sams and get it free through KCBS.
I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:
Not according to the press release.... (http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=243)

Sam’s Club becomes Official Supplier of KCBS

May 12, 2010

What a way to kick off National Barbeque Month! On behalf of your Board of Directors, we are proud to announce that Sam’s Club, the nation’s largest warehouse club, is now the “Official Supplier of KCBS!”

“We are very excited to be working with Sam’s Club and integrating them like never before into the world of competition barbeque,” said Carolyn Wells, executive director of KCBS. “Sam’s Club has long been a preferred choice of barbeque teams throughout our network, but this new relationship will bring additional benefits to all of our members, from teams and event organizers to judges and backyard grillers.”

As part of the agreement, Sam’s Club will immediately become a presenting sponsor for several of our industry’s biggest events. The KCBS-sanctioned events that Sam’s selected for 2010 include: the Daytona BBQ Challenge in Daytona, Fla.; the Big Easy BBQ Challenge in New Orleans, La.; the American Royal Barbeque in Kansas City, Mo.; the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational BBQ in Lynchburg, Tenn; the Smoke on the Water BBQ Festival in Pine Bluff, Ark.; and the Alabama DegaQue Championship in Talladega, Ala.

Additionally, Sam’s Club will provide prizes at contests throughout the season, and for the first time in KCBS history, it will provide funding for a significant prize purse for the prestigious KCBS Team of the Year points chase!

“Sam’s Club is jumping into competitive barbeque in a major way,” said Mike McCloud, president and CEO of MMA Creative, the KCBS agency of record. “We are very excited to welcome them to our growing list of KCBS corporate partners. With their support and investment, along with companies like Kingsford and Rancher’s Reserve, we’re finally seeing the kind of recognition and rewards that our industry deserves.”

McCloud added that KCBS members will now receive a 25% discount on individual Sam’s Club memberships, and that Sam’s will provide members-only promotions to KCBS in the coming year.

Sam’s Club also agreed to support another major KCBS initiative for 2010: the development and presentation of the Louisiana Tailgate & BBQ Festival in New Orleans, featuring the Big Easy BBQ Challenge and the Great American Tailgate Expo. KCBS is playing a key role in developing the programs for the expo and conference, and Sam’s involvement will help make the event even more exciting for brands, vendors, members and competitors.

Expanding the expo concept even further, Sam’s is currently planning a new “Club Competition and Expo” series that will be featured at Sam’s Clubs throughout America. The goal for the expos is to support the KCBS mission, which is to promote and celebrate barbeque as a sport and culinary art form. Look for more information on this exciting development this summer.

Many other ideas and programs are being discussed by Sam’s Club and KCBS representatives, so stay tuned for exciting announcements as we build on this new partnership. In the meantime, we hope that all KCBS members will welcome and support our newest corporate partner in the sport of barbeque!

Yes I love Sam's club. I have a business account there and it's only a 20 minute drive from where I live.

A 25% discount on membership sounds good to me. It sure beats full price. It didn't say anything about any changes in store in regards to products in the stores however.

My membership re-newel is at the end of the month. Do we have to give them a special code for the discount?

I'm actually hoping they keep the relationship with Rest. Depot. I actually prefer them to Sam's for my meat and general items... I can't remember the last time I went to Sam's....

I'm actually hoping they keep the relationship with Rest. Depot. I actually prefer them to Sam's for my meat and general items... I can't remember the last time I went to Sam's....
I have a feeling Rest. Depot blew that one...just guessing.

This is a great addition of sponsorship for the teams that compete at these events throughout the year. Hopefully it will help with prize money.
I hope KCBS doesn't forget about the members that don't compete. The 25% off membership will be nice the next time my membership is due but like bigabyte says it would be nice to get some kind of in store discount as well. That way everyone can take advantage of being a KCBS and Sam's club member.
I guess we will see.

Back