Velveeta $$____$$$________$$$$

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Wanted CFS so visited United for tenderized cutlets. The Bride remained in The Jeep on the phone gushing over a friend's new laso apso (sp). She requested Velveeta, Rotel And a sack of regular Fritos. Velveeta $8.49. When the heck did that happen?¿? Velveeta is poor man's fare. Same has happened to SPAM $$$. So The Bride looks at Sam's Club online and you can get two 2# bricks of Velveeta for $13.98. No expiration date but Best Buy date is 5-6 months.
Speaking of Velveeta is like fixing beans in chili. It has significant emotional responses.
Your House Your Rules but cheaper to buy two by several dollars.

Article as to why Velveeta is so expensive

https://missvickie.com/why-is-velveeta-so-expensive/

I hear ya! I have been playing around with Mac n Cheese cooks and holy sticker shock on it. Maybe it's me but, it seems softer than it used to.

Was waiting my turn at the Keurig this morning and a co-worker was geeked about making cheesesteaks on his Blackstone tomorrow. Kept raving about making his special Velveeta cheese sauce.

Kept my mouth shut. Didn't want to break into the conversation stating the obvious...provolone is the only cheese for a cheesesteak.

I read something a year or two ago that said the new generations don't like Velveeta and aren't buying it. I thought good, maybe the price will go down. Instead, the price went up and stayed up. Our Kroger has a sale this week, Velveeta $7.99, get 2 free cans of Rotel and a bag of Kroger tortilla chips. Check it out if you have one in your area.

Not that you asked, but but the trick that restaurants and commercial outfits use for creamy cheeses is sodium citrate (an emulsifier used for quesos, nacho cheeses, mac&cheese, whatever). It's readily available to purchase and make your own super smooth creamy cheeses from REAL, quality, healthy cheese and not have to buy the processed crap anymore. Search online for ratios and recipes.

Yes, it's maddening. I do a lot of my shopping at Aldi first, but their Velveeta version is grainy. I've tried the sodium citrate more times than I'm willing to admit, and toying with using Velveeta for a mac and cheese. It's the one dish I just can't friggin get, and I noticed the prices on it went insane-so thanks for the tip on Sams, I wouldn't have looked for it there.

Not that you asked, but but the trick that restaurants and commercial outfits use for creamy cheeses is sodium citrate (an emulsifier used for quesos, nacho cheeses, mac&cheese, whatever). It's readily available to purchase and make your own super smooth creamy cheeses from REAL, quality, healthy cheese and not have to buy the processed crap anymore. Search online for ratios and recipes.

I discovered this trick and use it to ensure my Alfredo and Mac n cheese sauces don’t separate. But using it does impart a somewhat processed flavor. In a pinch add a couple slices of American to your sauce. It has the sodium citrate in it.

Guess I thrive on controversy - I'm OK w/ Velveeta, beans in chili, SPAM. It's all good. I have noticed the price increase on Velveeta, prepared Mac&Cheese, and just about everything else that I buy. Even if you process your own beef, the price of that has gone way up and the wait times have really gone up. It's hard to win the price war.

I've always heard that the solution to high prices is high prices, but how long is this gonna take?

Even the generic store brand is pricey and not much cheaper than Velveeta. A nachos cheat I did recently was one cup of heavy cream and 4oz of Fiesta Blend cheese. Heat and stir till melted. It makes a very good cheese sauce.

I have done sodium citrate as well and agree it can leave some sort of chemically aftertaste. It really does are any cheese melt and smooth.

I have take to using velveta or a few American cheese slices rather than powered sodium citrate. They have more than enough to help smooth out a cheese sauce that would otherwise be a bit grainy.

I've noticed the price increase with their mac and cheese. I swear it's like $4 a box now. do you know how much mac and cheese a 3 year eats

Im glad nobody in our house likes Velveeta. That stuff is nasty. As soon as it it cools it turns to plastic. We make our own with real cheese, milk, and sodium citrate.

I have done sodium citrate as well and agree it can leave some sort of chemically aftertaste. It really does are any cheese melt and smooth.

Using milk instead of water really helps to mellow a sour aftertaste usually caused by adding too much sodium citrate.

Yup. We are big time chile con queso fans. Make it by the full crock pot. It's gotten pricey. AND, do not buy the store or the other off brands. Those suck. HOWEVER, I find these at the Dollar Store down the street. They sell em by the packet. Work great in a pinch for something like mac and cheese or for a small dose of queso dip, or broc or cauli or for adding to baked taters which is one way my kids will destroy a packet each.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Velveeta...-Sauce-Pouches-3-ct-Box-4-oz-Packets/24360273

Bob

Using milk instead of water really helps to mellow a sour aftertaste usually caused by adding too much sodium citrate.

I have found I can get away with little citrate. I add about 1 teaspoon to 4 cups cream/milk and the cheese. If it's not getting creamy enough I'll add a bit more. The flavor is always a tiny bit noticeable, but the one time I added too much it literally made my sauce taste like American cheese.

Not to diverge too much but wanted baby backs for tomorrow's smoke. $30 for a slab at Publix. Are they kidding? Ribeye is $9.99 lb. Bought the ribeye. I know its apples to oranges comparison (in a way) but no way for the ribs.

Regarding sodium citrate, check out this article.

https://www.seriouseats.com/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos

There's a note in the comments about sodium citrate, but the article focuses on testing different methods of making creamy cheeses without sodium citrate.

In their test, evaporated milk was the winner.

A combination of evap milk and a small amount of sodium citrate could be something worth exploring... to both reduce the amount of SC and evap milk needed, which the article notes imparts its own distinct flavor

I'm on the hunt for a good cheese sauce, I've had that bookmarked for a while

Back