THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Darren 'Clone' Warth told me early in my career some words of wisdom. He was only a badass then, now he is supreme being with Tuffy... :p But Clone said something that I will never forget. To be a champion, you have to learn to lose first.

And the quote that comforts me (I forget who said it but it's gold): "You ain't s**t until you been DQ'ed". Really happy I got that out of the way early on. And I even have a picture to document the violation.

Part of BBQ is hitting the table. You do have to have good food, but there is also a ton of luck involved. Anyone who says that they weren't lucky winning a GC or category can't say they were lucky. Dies it mean they had the best? No. They had the best for that table. It sucks, but I like it better than just using 9, 8, 7 in scoring .

The Great Darren 'Clone' Warth told me early in my career some words of wisdom. He was only a badass then, now he is supreme being with Tuffy... :p But Clone said something that I will never forget. To be a champion, you have to learn to lose first.
I've heard him say that more than once Scottie..actually he said these score sheets just give people more to bitch about..and he's right..again:)!

I do remember a time this year that I had a very tasty destined-to-be a 9-9-9 sample of chicken, but while munching on it, I almost choked on the cut up bone and gristle that was left behind. It totally went against the appearance and flavor profile of 9s by leaving these in there and maybe the cook was just not careful about this one particular sample. There were at least four cut up bony/gristly pieces in there. The problem is that I had no way of letting the team know about it to support my low score for texture. I’m sure it had the team wondering what was wrong with me. Everything was excellent except for the that, but that was a biggie to me.

Were there feedback cards for you to fill out?

No, it was a fairly recent contest, so no comment card. I would have certainly written a "mouthful"! :becky:

Back