Special BBQ Brethren "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown!

I stated after my first post I don't care about winning my question was reguarding what people like to see and nothing more. Just looking for sugestions. Im doing a Tri-Tip Sunday already was just looking to step out of my comfort box and try somthing new for fun. Can't find anything but Brisket flats in my area or I might try one.

I wasn't aiming my comments at you, if that's what you thought. I'm just trying to get people to enter the throwdown competitions, and have a good time.

I know what you mean about what you can buy. Here in North Texas, tri-tip is actually hard to find. Out in California, it is all over the place. In Texas, briskets are in every grocery store -- although not all of them have good briskets.

My advice for this particular throwdown is to use the best that is available to you where you are, at this particular time. Have fun with it. Put it out there, and see what happens.

CD

I wasn't aiming my comments at you, if that's what you thought. I'm just trying to get people to enter the throwdown competitions, and have a good time.

I know what you mean about what you can buy. Here in North Texas, tri-tip is actually hard to find. Out in California, it is all over the place. In Texas, briskets are in every grocery store -- although not all of them have good briskets.

My advice for this particular throwdown is to use the best that is available to you where you are, at this particular time. Have fun with it. Put it out there, and see what happens.

CD

To be fair you got quoted because you where the caboose of the comments. A bunch had quoted me and you quoted them.

I love Tri-Tip and have ate if for a long long time. It takes considerably less skill to cook than somthing like Brisket imo. Too bad you Texans can't get it together and offer some for sale ;). Most in my area don't offer "full packers", due to cost and lack of return. I would bet Tri-Tips availability and the ease of difficulty to make awesome que with it has somthing to do with it.

I appreciate your encouragement.

I stated after my first post I don't care about winning my question was reguarding what people like to see and nothing more. Just looking for sugestions. Im doing a Tri-Tip Sunday already was just looking to step out of my comfort box and try somthing new for fun. Can't find anything but Brisket flats in my area or I might try one.

We know. We just talk to hear ourselves talk sometimes. :becky:

Still no opening salvo yet, huh? Sounds like Twinsfan is working as we speak so I better write up the list and head to the store... :thumb:

This should be fun!:becky:

On Tuesday night, I picked up a rump roast, hoping the piece would be similar to chuck roast for the other throw down. Turns out, it wasn't even close, so I set out to make a Spanish style beef roast. This is the apprentice's first throwdown. :)
-------------

pic1072v.jpg

Last night I rubbed the roast down with paprika, sea salt, ground black pepper, cumin, and some of my serrano sauce (six minced serrano peppers in a cup of vinegar) and a jalepeno.. let this marinade for 10-12 hours.

Early this morning I fired up the old Weber, with only a few briquettes since I had some already in there from a few days back. I threw in a mulberry log, which had been especially set outside for two weeks to be soaked naturally. :)

The briquettes took some time to get going, plus there were so few, so an hour and a half in over semi-direct I got to:

pic1079.jpg

NOTE: Added some onions and garlic.

Two hours later of low, semi-direct heat with the mullbery log still smoking a lot, I got this (vegetables removed after an hour or so)
VOTING PICTURE:
pic1094.jpg

NOTE: I basted the meat throughout with a mixture of orange juice, onion, brown sugar, water, and cumin/serrano vinegar/chili powder. Wouldn't ever serve the baste with the meat since it was so odd but it tasted good.

Ninety more minutes of smoke and a little stronger heat I got to 160 F on the beef, which I liked. All in all I probably smoked the beef for 4 1/2 hours, maybe a lil more.
pic1100.jpg

I sliced the beef up, it cut almost like butter. Because I never flipped the roast, on purpose, the bottom was well done and near the middle-top there was a tiny bit of pink, how my family likes it.

I placed two slices of the Spanish roast beef inside a half loaf of Italian bread, topped with plenty of pickled onions (delicious), two avacado slices, and some cilantro.

dsc03144b.jpg

On the outside you couldn't pick up any of the tangy orange juice or paprika, instead you tasted the deep flavored ground black pepper which crusted the outside.

And there's my first Throwdown!

Last edited:
Take this from a guy with four (should be 5) zeros. You did a nice job.

Now Caseydog said this

"This is online competition, and judging is done by sight and description, and there is no way to have a "fair" judging, based on sight and description."

You are so right. But it seems the voters don't look at the category. I entered the "Whole Fish" and a crab won it. Go figure. :crazy:

Thanks. First entry! :-D

I changed the voting photo to the whole roast BC the sandwich was blurry and didn't display the meat as well.

Meh, I may but if you add any kind of garnish to the sandwich it covers up the beef. I'll think about it but I like my entry as is.

Can I Enter this? I recently attended a
Revirginization Seminar and I
feel fresh and pure as the driven Snow.......:roll:

Am I still a Virgin :cool:
You?:laugh: Of course not!:tsk: You not even an FNG!:rolleyes:

But in case you were still a Rookie or an Amateur, I looked up your stats, and you're not even one of those. You've entered 5 times making you a well seasoned veteran.:thumb:

Can I Enter this? I recently attended a
Revirginization Seminar and I
feel fresh and pure as the driven Snow.......:roll:
It's gonna take a LOT more than one seminar to help you!:becky: You are among one of the top sluttiest members who Throwdown with 24 entries!:shock:

Maybe if you did a summer long counseling thing at a re-virginization camp, maybe then. But I have a feeling if you did that there would be no re-virginization for anyone at that camp that year!:becky:

I am surprised the answer wasn`t Spam :heh:

After re-reading your post, I think what you were asking is if a particular dish tends to get more votes. I honestly do not know the answer to that. I believe anything has the potential to win.

If you would like, here are all of the winning photos from all of the Throwdowns ever held. You can look through and see if any particular dish stands out as a common winner. Since you have to cook to the category though, I'm not sure if the case would be that the category comes up more often or the dish wins more often. You can judge for yourself though.

2011 Winners (so far) - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112737

2010 Winners - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98531

2008/2009 Winners - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74593

OK this is a stupid newbie question???? do we have to "enter" or just post our pix and description to this thread???? I feel like an idiot asking this.:icon_blush:

OK this is a stupid newbie question???? do we have to "enter" or just post our pix and description to this thread???? I feel like an idiot asking this.:icon_blush:
There are no stupid questions here. All you need to do is make a post in this thread with your pictures and descriptions, and that is how you enter. So I guess the answer is yes to both.

Back