Special BBQ Brethren "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown!

For tonights dinner I made some ABTs with cream cheese, cheddar cheese ans JD sausage as filling and wrapped on bacon and some with venison bacon.

I also had a venison loin steak rubbed with evoo and oak ridge bbq venison rub.

I cooked the steak to medium and it was fantastic! This was the best venison steak I have ever eaten.

IMG_20110807_143054.jpg

IMG_20110807_190306.jpg

IMG_20110807_191001.jpg

Please use this one below as my TD pic
IMG_20110807_191217.jpg

This is my first TD entry. This entire meal was done on the grill. All the vegetables came straight from our garden that my daughter and I grow together.

Zucchini was picked day before grilling and marinated in an Italian dressing.

Corn was picked day of grilling and soaked in water bath for 4 hours before hitting the grill.

Chicken breasts were marinated in a "Lemon-Pepper" rub my wife and I made.

Ribeye steaks were marinated in a rub overnight. Rub was purchased from The Spice House, it's called "Chicago Steak Seasoning" I cut slits into the steak and added some "Siberian" Garlic which was grown in our garden to my steak.

Unfortunately, my daughter's braces do not allow her to eat corn on the cob, so we had to take hers off the cob. My wife and I decided to do the same for her in a show of unity.

Veggies were grilled over "Cowboy" Lump charcoal.
Chicken was grilled over KF and a few small pieces of maple wood.

Steak was grilled over KF and some stray pieces of Hickory and a bit of lump charcoal. I like my steak well done, sorry. It was still juicy though. My wife and daughter had theirs medium.

Overall, the meal turned out well. Chicken was juicy. So much so, that the girls kept taking pieces of it while we were still outside. The steaks were very tender, almost able to be cut with a fork. The vegetables were quite a hit. I'm not a grilled zucchini fan but my wife loves it. I made that for her.

patio4071.jpg

Looks delicious. I really like the part about cutting the corn off of your cob to show unity with your daughter. That is really cool.

Ya know, looking back at this thread, there is all good stuff in here. I'd eat at anybody's house based on what I see. Good stuff all of you.

Smoked Duck Throwdown Entry

Ok, so here is my first throwdown entry and pron posting.

I have been experimenting for a while with doing duck in the smoker. If you do it just right you render out the fat and you get crispy brown skin, moist meat and a great smoke flavour.

This time I started out with two ducks. I rubbed them the day before with Magic Dust from Mike Mill's cookbook.

uncooked duck.jpg

I smoked them at 225 for 6 hours and I finished them with a quick sizzle on the grill for about 2 minutes at high heat.

cooked duck.jpg

duck detail.jpg

meat on plate.jpg

And I served it with some potato salad and baby squash. It was pretty farkin good, if I do say so myself. The meat was nice and juicy and the skin was crispy.

finished plate (2).jpg

Please use one of the plated photos for voting.

I think my next trick will be to glaze the skin before grilling.

Tomorrow, smoked duck tacos with the leftovers!

So, what do you think?

Ballen0351, could you add a description? What kind of rub, sauce, etc?

Thanks!

CD

Ballen0351, could you add a description? What kind of rub, sauce, etc?

Thanks!

CD

Sure I rubbed them with a mix of fresh ground black pepper, crushed red pepper, paprika, and brown sugar. Smoked them for a while with a mix of hickory and apple wood and then threw in more lump coal pushed all the heat to one side of the grill to do burgers on that side and coated the ribs in sweet baby rays bbq sauce and left them on the side without heat while I cooked the burgers.

Id love to have a dedicated smoker so I wouldnt need to do burgers, dogs, ect at same time. I may attempt a UDS soon.

DOOOOOOD!!!!

All these entries look farkin GREAT!!!!
This is gonna be INSANE! And it's only MONDAY!!!!:becky::thumb::clap2:

I've never had duck, but that quacker looks unbelievable!
And that ham....the top round....those ribs.....kabobs......grits.....WOW!:shock:

I have to confess, though.....I just CANNOT hear "grits" without thinking of:
‪My Cousin Vinny Part X wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Ummm... I think I'm gonna need more information on how to do that duck. It looks amazing.
Thanks! It is pretty simple really. I used a paprika based rub (magic dust). I rubbed it the day before and slung it into the cooker at 225 until it hit an IT in the breast of about 175. This took about 6 hours. The main thing I'm looking for is a bit of wiggle in the thigh joint and for most of the fat under the breast skin to melt. You can tell when the fat is gone since the skin stops feeling soft when you touch it.

Once out of the cooker I grilled the bird over high heat for one or two minutes on the breast side only. Watch it carefully or your bird will catch fire. You may wonder how I know that...

As I said in my post, I'm still working on this recipe. I think the skin needs a little sweetness so I'm thinking I'm going to try glazing it before grilling next.

Back