THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you skool me on yer batter?
I'm thinkin that diced bird(dove) and rice stuffed poblanos battered and fried would be awesome.

Larry

Would you skool me on yer batter?
I'm thinkin that diced bird(dove) and rice stuffed poblanos battered and fried would be awesome.

Larry

Larry, that sounds awesome! Hope you give it a try and let me know how it goes!
The batter is easy.
I use fresh gathered eggs OR bring eggs to room temperature, they whip up faster than cold eggs.
I use one egg for each chile. This batch I used 8 eggs.
Separate the whites from the yolks.
Beat the whites til stiff peaks form.
Fold in 8 TBS of flour and a pinch or two of salt into the whites.

Beat the yolks together in a small bowl, using a fork.
Fold the beaten yolks into the whites, Folding keeps the batter fluffy.
Dip the chiles in and fry til golden. Drain on paper towels.
I fry mine in a large cast iron skillet.

I roll the stuffed chiles in flour before dipping in batter. It helps keep the batter in place.
Also, it can be a pain to dip the stuffed chiles. I usually stuff them too full.
You can spoon some batter into the hot oil, (like a pillow), place a stuffed chile on top, then spoon more batter on top of the chile, seal the edges.
Or you can dip the stuffed chile bottom in the batter, place into the hot oil, then spoon more batter on top.

Before turning the chile over, I like to spoon some of the hot oil over the top to set it a bit before flipping it over to fry on the second side. It just makes flipping the thing easier, less messy.

Not sure if I explained it well.. let me know if I didn't! lol
Good luck with it! :grin:

:clap2:Killer-B Jeanie! That relleno batter looks awesome... not thin, but thick and whipped to peaks. Looks like it cooks up with a great crust! Hats off!

Thanks so much Hawkeye! I made some "blank" batter rounds with some of the leftover batter. They were pretty tasty dipped into the sauce. :-D

Thanks, I am going to try your batter on some thick sliced tomatoes from my garden tomorrow for lunch.

Larry

p.s. Try adding a little corn starch to the flour if you want the batter to stick better, approx 1/4 cornstarch to 3/4 flour

Thanks, I am going to try your batter on some thick sliced tomatoes from my garden tomorrow for lunch.

Larry

p.s. Try adding a little corn starch to the flour if you want the batter to stick better, approx 1/4 cornstarch to 3/4 flour

Great! Good luck with it!
I'm not sure how cornstarch would change the texture of the rellenos batter. I usually just flour the chiles.
The batter is light. Really takes on sauce well. :grin:

Last edited:
Wow! That looks super good. If you have left overs, I could stop by and help you take care of them. My pickup is fast so I don’t need much notice....[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow! That looks super good. If you have left overs, I could stop by and help you take care of them. My pickup is fast so I don’t need much notice....[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:laugh: Thanks Kevin! These don't last long. I need to start making double batches! :becky:

Well those look crazy amazing, Jeanie! :shocked:

I love love love chile rellenos, but I wish they were easier to make - kinda labor intensive for a lazy farker like me! I make 'em probably once a year.

I think I could eat a million of those - they look fantastic - thanks for putting that up!

Well those look crazy amazing, Jeanie! :shocked:

I love love love chile rellenos, but I wish they were easier to make - kinda labor intensive for a lazy farker like me! I make 'em probably once a year.

I think I could eat a million of those - they look fantastic - thanks for putting that up!

Thanks... I bet the ones you make are outstanding Greg! :grin:
Hope the earthquakes have settled down. Stay safe!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Consider me blown away! Chile Rellanos are at the top of my favorite Hispanic foods list. Yours look unbelievably good. Thanks for intriguing us!!

Consider me blown away! Chile Rellanos are at the top of my favorite Hispanic foods list. Yours look unbelievably good. Thanks for intriguing us!!

Thanks Jeremy! It's a good way to use leftover smoked meats! :grin:

If you were an MLB player, you would have won the Home Run Derby!

lol Thanks John!
Hope you and family are keeping safe from the earthquakes.

Thank you Bill! :grin:
Isn't it nice to have extra smoked goodies on hand!
Hope you and family had a wonderful weekend.

Thanks Jeanie, just had the kids in for the last 10 days before they PCS to Hawaii for the next 3 years. Definitely going to miss my girls, they are growing up way too fast.

Attachments

• Girls Bucc ee's Truck.jpg
    Girls Bucc ee's Truck.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Girls El Charro.jpg
    Girls El Charro.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 27
Thanks Jeanie, just had the kids in for the last 10 days before they PCS to Hawaii for the next 3 years. Definitely going to miss my girls, they are growing up way too fast.

Bill, your girls are SO sweet!! I'm sure you are going to miss them. Hopefully you will be able to visit them often!

A plate and a couple hand cramping cold beers would be nice right now
Lol Wish I had a couple of them too Adams! :-D

Back