THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What offset firebox would you choose or did you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think you are asking the wrong question here.......because the more I think about it if I ever had an "in hindsight" moment about my smoker it would be to have made it larger. I don't really need the extra room, but that would the thing to spend a little extra on :-D. Of course I got mine in a raffle so I love every square inch of it and seriously don't ever need the extra room (especially with being able to cook in the warming box), but just think a little more about what else you may "really need" :becky:.

I have been. Didn't you see my list of options I already have? I will be talking to Paul tomorrow to see if I can finally finalize my order:loco:

fnbish, Thoey & sylntghost...
I have an idea for the cabinet that I want to run by Paul. If it will work then I will have way more capacity that I will ever need.:biggrin1:

Ok. Spoke to Paul....
Nothing crazy or earth-shattering but I didn't know if the racks would space properly so I wanted to check with Paul before I blurted out something that couldn't be done. I will be adding the cabinet doors with 3 racks instead of 2. 3 racks on the 24x65 cabinet would give me 3,418 square inches of cook space in the main chamber. If I go with the 24x50 cabinet I would have 2,645 of space which is still almost 400 square inches more than the 24x65 with conventional doors and a shorter trailer. All that does not include the space in the warmer (another 1,200). I know this is overkill and I can probably guarantee you that I will never need that much space but if I ever need it I will have the space. Should be able to space the racks out from top to bottom 6" - 4" - 6". The middle rack will be for sausage, ribs, chickens and other thinner meats. I can take out the middle rack if I have something really tall to cook and that will give me plenty of height. Paul was very helpful and we talked forever. I don't know how he gets any work done.:-D

Also couldn't talk myself out of the insulated firebox even though Paul said that I did not really need it. Seems like a large percentage of his recent builds are going with the insulated firebox regardless of the climate. I hope these are the last changes I will make.:heh:

On a 110 degree day with an insulated firebox you'll need splits the size of a hammer handle only shorter....unless your a HnF guy. Just sayin' in the Texas summer we're half way there before the fire starts. :thumb:

On a 110 degree day with an insulated firebox you'll need splits the size of a hammer handle only shorter....unless your a HnF guy. Just sayin' in the Texas summer we're half way there before the fire starts. :thumb:

this is why i left texas and now live in the super mild climate of Georgia lol

Ok. Spoke to Paul....
Nothing crazy or earth-shattering but I didn't know if the racks would space properly so I wanted to check with Paul before I blurted out something that couldn't be done. I will be adding the cabinet doors with 3 racks instead of 2. 3 racks on the 24x65 cabinet would give me 3,418 square inches of cook space in the main chamber. If I go with the 24x50 cabinet I would have 2,645 of space which is still almost 400 square inches more than the 24x65 with conventional doors and a shorter trailer. All that does not include the space in the warmer (another 1,200). I know this is overkill and I can probably guarantee you that I will never need that much space but if I ever need it I will have the space. Should be able to space the racks out from top to bottom 6" - 4" - 6". The middle rack will be for sausage, ribs, chickens and other thinner meats. I can take out the middle rack if I have something really tall to cook and that will give me plenty of height. Paul was very helpful and we talked forever. I don't know how he gets any work done.:-D

Also couldn't talk myself out of the insulated firebox even though Paul said that I did not really need it. Seems like a large percentage of his recent builds are going with the insulated firebox regardless of the climate. I hope these are the last changes I will make.:heh:
My opinion, I would listen to Paul. You could get a bigger cook chamber with the savings from eliminating the insulated firebox.

My opinion, I would listen to Paul. You could get a bigger cook chamber with the savings from eliminating the insulated firebox.

I hear you guys and I really appreciate y'all looking out for me. I am trying to process this.:crazy: But I really like the looks of the insulated firebox vs the straight wall from the warmer to the firebox. That inch or so of width/offset just looks better to me. I may or may not recover the cost of the insulated firebox in unused wood but I really don't want a 90" main chamber either. Even the 65" is too much for me. It is probably going to come down to just having to have it regardless of what makes sense and not wanting to have any regrets. When I bought my last cooker I talked myself out of things that I really wanted because of the $$ and a year later it still bothers me a little.:tsk: If I was being logical I would just stick with the other 9 cookers I have (really hope the wife doesn't see this part). I already have every option except the ss shelf/table and the hip roof on the warmer. I really want this to be the last cooker I buy and hope to get some money back when I thin out the herd in the back yard.

I know I am not a very good listener because my wife mentioned that before or something similar...really cannot remember because the game was on.:shocked:

I know this is overkill and I can probably guarantee you that I will never need that much space but if I ever need it I will have the space.
That there is a very true statement.
One never knows when the maximum real estate is going to be called upon for a massive smoke out.
Once again congratulations on the new cooker - it is gonna be a beast!

I hear you guys and I really appreciate y'all looking out for me. I am trying to process this.:crazy: But I really like the looks of the insulated firebox vs the straight wall from the warmer to the firebox. That inch or so of width/offset just looks better to me. I may or may not recover the cost of the insulated firebox in unused wood but I really don't want a 90" main chamber either. Even the 65" is too much for me. It is probably going to come down to just having to have it regardless of what makes sense and not wanting to have any regrets. When I bought my last cooker I talked myself out of things that I really wanted because of the $$ and a year later it still bothers me a little.:tsk: If I was being logical I would just stick with the other 9 cookers I have (really hope the wife doesn't see this part). I already have every option except the ss shelf/table and the hip roof on the warmer. I really want this to be the last cooker I buy and hope to get some money back when I thin out the herd in the back yard.

I know I am not a very good listener because my wife mentioned that before or something similar...really cannot remember because the game was on.:shocked:

Get that insulated box! I mean if you can afford it definitely get it :clap2:. Doesn't matter if it is a little excessive, especially since we all probably have things we don't "need" in our smoker arsenal. It's that simple :biggrin1:. Get it. The End.

............................now let's discuss why you really don't need the 90", but c'mon man..............it could be 90"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :becky::razz:

Get that insulated box! I mean if you can afford it definitely get it :clap2:. Doesn't matter if it is a little excessive, especially since we all probably have things we don't "need" in our smoker arsenal. It's that simple :biggrin1:. Get it. The End.

............................now let's discuss why you really don't need the 90", but c'mon man..............it could be 90"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :becky::razz:
I really don't need an enabler. :biggrin1: I do bad enough on my own

Back