THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What offset firebox would you choose or did you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have the same delima I am looking to order a smoker from Paul and am looking to get the best bang for the buck as I am looking to keep this smoker for many years with lots of use but the little cheap guy on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear. I too am considering the cabinet doors and will proably go with that but just cannot make the decision on the firebox.

My first big pit was a trailer mounted TS 24"x104" Old country pit with a 1/4" firebox. I did not like the vertical on the far end of the pit. I could never get the temp up to utilize over just a warming oven. I felt like it was not efficient enough (fuel hog) I sold it, and I built my own insulated trailer mounted offset 24" x 60" with a 24" x 3/8" steel pipe x 24" with 2" of insulation enclosed within 10 guage square box firebox. I love it and the efficiency. I loved it so much I bought an insulated backyard version of mine from Muscrat (a fellow brethern) great pit, but as demand has grown I have out grown the backyard and ordered a 30" LSG vertical with the warming oven 1/2" firebox. LSG said the firebox will be the first to go on a offset pit and the thermal mass of the 1/2" will give great heat retention. I think I am going to miss the insulated firebox, but gaining the warming oven with the 1/2" firebox will be very close especially here in Texas. So, with all of my rambling Shirley pit are amazing looking and they build the vertical over the firebox so my vote is 1/2" + all the bells and whistles! This could be the last pit you buy and who really wants to live with regrets? :wink:

I said it before and I will say it again

I have the 3/8" uninsulated box and live in Michigan on my Shirley cabinet trailer model

Just this past Sat I did a few racks of ribs and a brisket, the ambient temp was maybe 20f or less when I started.

It took a little extra time for the pit to come up to temp but other than that it used the normal amount of wood as it would in warmer temps. Maybe a few splits more during the whole cook, but that's it.

For where you live, I would spend the money on the cabinet not the insulated box

its a no brainer for me

This could be the last pit you buy and who really wants to live with regrets? :wink:

I agree. I really like the look of the insulated firebox. It just looks a little meaner/tougher to me vs the straight lines of the non-insulated. Same goes for the cabinet doors. They just look bada$$.

Well being in my region you know that we don't have terribly cold winters and unlike folks up in the northern states, for us an insulated firebox isn't a MUST as far as maintaining temps. You also know about the hot summers we have and that during those months the first 100 degrees is free, so as far as maintaining temps goes the extra thickness of the 1/2 inch plate would probably be sufficient for you.:-D
Another thing to consider is wether you want a grill top or not because that option is usually lost when you have an insulated box. My suggestion would be to consider the 1/2 inch box and then also the warmer/oven that Shirley makes to go on top of it. Between the two you'll get excellent efficiency by the extra thermal mass of the 1/2 inch steel of the firebox, by capturing the heat normally lost off of the top of the firebox with the oven and also get the added benefits of the many uses of the oven.:wink:

The warmer is almost mandatory. Most of my cooks will probably be in the warmer.

Once you cook in that Shirley warmer, you will not use the horizontal except for extremely large cooks. Trust me when I say that the warmer is a cooking machine and makes life easy. I now do over 90% of my cooks in the warmer/vertical.

I am thinking the Shirley could replace all of my cookers if I can get it close enough to the patio. I will probably keep a few but I bet some will go just so they can get some love from someone. I can envision all the other cookers giving the Shirley the stink eye when I roll it into the back yard.

When I bought the 30x84 deluxe with the regular fire box. After a few cooks now I wish I had got the insulated firebox. This thing is a fuel hog being 30'' wide and deep. It just takes a lot more wood to keep temps up.

Last edited:
I am thinking the Shirley could replace all of my cookers if I can get it close enough to the patio. I will probably keep a few but I bet some will go just so they can get some love from someone. I can envision all the other cookers giving the Shirley the stink eye when I roll it into the back yard.

And you're thinking right. :biggrin1: When I ordered my LSG I optioned it out to be an all in one cooker (smoker/grill/oven). YOu're right there with the Shirley also. It can grill like the weber, smoke like the kamado, I can hang meat like the PBC in the oven or the main chamber, bake/grill/smoke in the oven. etc etc.

I'm thinning the herd already as I sold my Weber performer on Sat. and the kamado is going next probably to the son of the guy who picked up the performer. I haven't used any of my cookers in my sig ever since I rec'd my LSG.

Plan is to keep the PBC for camping and such
WGA for small/quick weekday cooks

Spend it once and cry once, ( just for a short time ) and then enjoy the benefits for life, and then some for whomever gets it when you are done with it. It is an investment, not an expense when it is something you will enjoy for a lifetime. Just my 2 pesos worth.

Omar

There was finally had a break in the snow/ice this past weekend to season and cook in the new SF cooker.
Being from where I am from, the insulated firebox will turn out to be a wise choice. Temps on Sunday as the pit was fired up was 8 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when the pit was up to temp in 20 minutes.
Being in TX this might not be an option you need to shell out some dollars for.
As for the cabinet doors, I will admit to going that route first off on the 'bad assness' of the look. It just looks cool, like a huge, wheeled wood fired oven out back.
After using it over the weekend I really started to enjoy the ease of opening the doors, even with a pan of ribs on one hand.
Another neat feature that is a by-product of the cabinet model is a built in shelf that is the top of the cabinet. This acts like a warming shelf. I set a couple of pans up there on a 19 degree day and they were warm when filled with cooked food, and still clean on the bottom. Nice feature.
Also go with the warming box, a must have in my opinion being so darn versatile.
I do believe that the new Shirley Fabrication cooker will replace almost all of what I currently have for back yard cookers. Most of which will be finding new homes shortly

FWIW, I voted 3/8". If money is no option, then go insulated. Based on the climate where you are I think 3/8" would be plenty sufficient. Spend the extra money on the upgrades that make more sense, like the cabinet doors, probe holes, or an extra rack in the warmer.

There was finally had a break in the snow/ice this past weekend to season and cook in the new SF cooker.
Being from where I am from, the insulated firebox will turn out to be a wise choice. Temps on Sunday as the pit was fired up was 8 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when the pit was up to temp in 20 minutes.
Being in TX this might not be an option you need to shell out some dollars for.
As for the cabinet doors, I will admit to going that route first off on the 'bad assness' of the look. It just looks cool, like a huge, wheeled wood fired oven out back.
After using it over the weekend I really started to enjoy the ease of opening the doors, even with a pan of ribs on one hand.
Another neat feature that is a by-product of the cabinet model is a built in shelf that is the top of the cabinet. This acts like a warming shelf. I set a couple of pans up there on a 19 degree day and they were warm when filled with cooked food, and still clean on the bottom. Nice feature.
Also go with the warming box, a must have in my opinion being so darn versatile.
I do believe that the new Shirley Fabrication cooker will replace almost all of what I currently have for back yard cookers. Most of which will be finding new homes shortly

Man now you guys are making me want to add Cabinet Doors to my build. That's about the only option I don't have at the moment. Every time I watch one of those damn videos on Facebook I add some more stuff to my build....lol.

How is the paint on the firebox holding up? My 20+ year old 1/4" offset is still holding up but the firebox doesn't look good.

There is some flaking but overall not bad since I got it in May of last year. I've read that you can rub some Crisco or other oil on the side while you're cooking to prevent that but firebox appearance isn't a huge deal for me.

And you're thinking right. :biggrin1: When I ordered my LSG I optioned it out to be an all in one cooker (smoker/grill/oven). YOu're right there with the Shirley also. It can grill like the weber, smoke like the kamado, I can hang meat like the PBC in the oven or the main chamber, bake/grill/smoke in the oven. etc etc.

I'm thinning the herd already as I sold my Weber performer on Sat. and the kamado is going next probably to the son of the guy who picked up the performer. I haven't used any of my cookers in my sig ever since I rec'd my LSG.

Plan is to keep the PBC for camping and such
WGA for small/quick weekday cooks

I know I will keep the Abe's insulated cabinet, the OTG and the Jimmy. Everything else will probably go to someone who will use them...eventually.

When I bought the 30x84 deluxe with the regular fire box. After a few cooks now I wish I had got the insulated firebox. This thing is a fuel hog being 30'' wide and deep. It just takes a lot more wood to keep temps up.

I bet Tyler could fix the firebox. Probably won't be cheap. I bet that thing is massive in person.

Spend it once and cry once, ( just for a short time ) and then enjoy the benefits for life, and then some for whomever gets it when you are done with it. It is an investment, not an expense when it is something you will enjoy for a lifetime. Just my 2 pesos worth.

Omar

Someone is going to use my cooker when I'm done:confused::mmph::twitch::mad:

my firebox paint is fine.

there is one thing I do not like about the cabinet style.

When you open the doors the smoke rolls right out at you, you have to be careful

with the round chamber, the smoke goes more straight up and doesn't hit you in the face when you open the doors.

But I still prefer the cabinet style

The warmer is almost mandatory. Most of my cooks will probably be in the warmer.
I'm not sure about Shirley but all of the other builders that I investigated when I was pit shopping wouldn't do an insulated firebox with a grill top or a top opening for a warmer/oven. If that's the case with Shirley as well then again my vote would be for the 1/2" box.
As for me, apart from the thermal mass benefits I know that with my 1/2" firebox it will never warp like even 1/4" can do with enough heat and will never corrode to the point of having to be replaced in my lifetime, or in the pit's lifetime for that matter. :wink:
Plus it makes a great bullet shield in the event of a freak Comanche uprising!:razz::biggrin1:

Back