THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What offset firebox would you choose or did you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was finally had a break in the snow/ice this past weekend to season and cook in the new SF cooker.
Being from where I am from, the insulated firebox will turn out to be a wise choice. Temps on Sunday as the pit was fired up was 8 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when the pit was up to temp in 20 minutes.
Being in TX this might not be an option you need to shell out some dollars for.
As for the cabinet doors, I will admit to going that route first off on the 'bad assness' of the look. It just looks cool, like a huge, wheeled wood fired oven out back.
After using it over the weekend I really started to enjoy the ease of opening the doors, even with a pan of ribs on one hand.
Another neat feature that is a by-product of the cabinet model is a built in shelf that is the top of the cabinet. This acts like a warming shelf. I set a couple of pans up there on a 19 degree day and they were warm when filled with cooked food, and still clean on the bottom. Nice feature.
Also go with the warming box, a must have in my opinion being so darn versatile.
I do believe that the new Shirley Fabrication cooker will replace almost all of what I currently have for back yard cookers. Most of which will be finding new homes shortly

Your cooker was the one that got me wanting the cabinet doors. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and then Paul posted your cooker on FaceBook. I told my wife it was all your fault.:laugh:

FWIW, I voted 3/8". If money is no option, then go insulated. Based on the climate where you are I think 3/8" would be plenty sufficient. Spend the extra money on the upgrades that make more sense, like the cabinet doors, probe holes, or an extra rack in the warmer.

That is the problem. I keep adding and adding...removable tongue, insulated firebox, wood rack, front shelf, probe inserts, 3rd warmer rack, both dampers, sausage hangers, chrome wheels, spare, 65" main chamber. I think the only thing left is the cabinet doors and SS front shelf. I might as well go all the way. No sense stopping now.:loco: This is going to be my last cooker for a very long time.

Man now you guys are making me want to add Cabinet Doors to my build. That's about the only option I don't have at the moment. Every time I watch one of those damn videos on Facebook I add some more stuff to my build....lol.

The secret is to stop watching the videos. Let me know if you figure out how to do that.:biggrin1: I sure could use some help.

Your cooker was the one that got me wanting the cabinet doors. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and then Paul posted your cooker on FaceBook. I told my wife it was all your fault.:laugh:
My wife was testing out the doors this weekend, and really liked the way they worked. We'd need a step ladder for her to open a standard lift-door.
She is also the one who wanted the glow in the dark TelTru gauges, which work great and look very cool.

I live in the Central Valley of California. Weather here is HOT in the summer and cool in the winter. Rarely do we have wind. We occasionally have breezes. That being saud, I would go with insulated. Do I NEED it, probably noy, but consistant temps are appeliaing to me. If you're going to spend, buy the best once, and cry once.

Matt

This is going to be my last cooker for a very long time.

Lol, you're lucky. I just ordered a new pit (from a different builder) and when my wife saw the price she stated that this would be my last pit, period! And I don't think she was kidding around, either.

Now, to your dilemma, I ordered my new pit with a 1/2" firebox. Living in east central OK, we get some pretty cold weather, often accompanied by ice or freezing rain and plenty of wind. I debated the insulated firebox idea for a long time before making a decision. When I thought about it, I had to ask myself the question, "how often are you actually going to go outside and cook on a cold, rainy, windy and generally cr@py day?" Realistically, not very often. I figured the 1/2" firebox would give me enough efficiency for my needs, and maybe provide me with a firebox that will last as long as the rest of the cooker. Just my .02.

I live in the Central Valley of California. Weather here is HOT in the summer and cool in the winter. Rarely do we have wind. We occasionally have breezes. That being saud, I would go with insulated. Do I NEED it, probably noy, but consistant temps are appeliaing to me. If you're going to spend, buy the best once, and cry once.

Matt

my temps are rock solid in my uninsulated Shirley

Lol, you're lucky. I just ordered a new pit (from a different builder) and when my wife saw the price she stated that this would be my last pit, period! And I don't think she was kidding around, either.

Now, to your dilemma, I ordered my new pit with a 1/2" firebox. Living in east central OK, we get some pretty cold weather, often accompanied by ice or freezing rain and plenty of wind. I debated the insulated firebox idea for a long time before making a decision. When I thought about it, I had to ask myself the question, "how often are you actually going to go outside and cook on a cold, rainy, windy and generally cr@py day?" Realistically, not very often. I figured the 1/2" firebox would give me enough efficiency for my needs, and maybe provide me with a firebox that will last as long as the rest of the cooker. Just my .02.

I am lucky. I have bought 2 nice smokers the last 2 years along with multiple smaller cookers. My wife never really complains. Not saying she doesn't give me the stink eye but she understands my obsession. Probably doesn't hurt that this hobby of ours keeps us in the back yard vs the golf course or softball field.

That is something that never crossed my mine. I was born and raised in Texas so the odds on my being outside in the sleet (we don't get snow) is very unlikely. I really hate cold weather. I would rather sweat thru my drawers than freeze.

If this is accurate then you are 5 degrees +/- higher average monthly temp than where I am in GA. So I wouldn't get insulated if I were you.
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/belton/texas/united-states/ustx0101

I have no issue keeping temp and it is super easy to control mine.........That being said if you are going to have it for a while and the cost doesn't matter then why not :-D. Hopefully that is confusing enough :der:.

I'd be interested to see how many less sticks I would go through with a side by side comparison, but during my cooks I never think to myself "man I really wish I was burning less wood".

I've owned 2 of his smokers and got 1/4" both times. No problem at all. I thought about the insulated FB, and if I lived up north I probably would have done it. I would guess that in Texas 1/4" would be fine.

That is the problem. I keep adding and adding...removable tongue, insulated firebox, wood rack, front shelf, probe inserts, 3rd warmer rack, both dampers, sausage hangers, chrome wheels, spare, 65" main chamber. I think the only thing left is the cabinet doors and SS front shelf. I might as well go all the way. No sense stopping now.:loco: This is going to be my last cooker for a very long time.

Do it all. Do it once. Be done with it. No regrets down the road. Period>:clap2:

you-cant-handle-the-truth_zps3037ccc7.jpg

I actually think you are asking the wrong question here.......because the more I think about it if I ever had an "in hindsight" moment about my smoker it would be to have made it larger. I don't really need the extra room, but that would the thing to spend a little extra on :-D. Of course I got mine in a raffle so I love every square inch of it and seriously don't ever need the extra room (especially with being able to cook in the warming box), but just think a little more about what else you may "really need" :becky:.

I actually think you are asking the wrong question here.......because the more I think about it if I ever had an "in hindsight" moment about my smoker it would be to have made it larger. I don't really need the extra room, but that would the thing to spend a little extra on :-D. Of course I got mine in a raffle so I love every square inch of it and seriously don't ever need the extra room (especially with being able to cook in the warming box), but just think a little more about what else you may "really need" :becky:.
i went 24x70 and my first 2 cooks were in the main chamber.after i cooked in the warmer i have not used the main chamber since.but that 70 inch long piece of pipe sure does look cool

Back