THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
Unfortunately the Dr. hit me with the old "need to limit salt intake" line at the last visit. I'm not cutting it out all together, but have been looking for some suitable alternatives. I loves me some salt, and have had a hard time finding a suitable replacement. All the potassium chloride based salts leave a chemical after taste and just don't cut it for me. But I ran across this stuff and it is great to put on cooked food. Not sure how they do it (assume its the yeast), but it really works. I found it online and will definitely be reordering.

I'm not sure what the rules are for posting this type of thing. Apologies if I broke a rule. Just figured that there are likely many in my position and thought I would share my findings. I am in no way affiliated with the product.

Attachments

I watch my salt as well, usually. My advice is don't put so much on while cooking, but season at table. In most cases the amount you add at table is miniscule compared to the amounts recipes want you to add.

Yeah, the potassium stuff is nasty. Just figure out how much salt you can handle and stick to it. You'll be OK.

A teaspoon of iodized table salt is 2,300 milligrams, a relatively modest amount. Applying it at table I doubt you'd use half of that in a day.

Kosher salt, sea salt, Himalayan rock salt, etc, are usually coarser and contain fewer milligrams of sodium, but not a lot. Sea salt is about 2,000 and Himalayan about 1,700 but that is just because of the size of the crystals. All salt is about 40% sodium.

Last edited:
Don't need all that alternative salt stuff. Just use good quality sea salt instead of crappy table salt. Been using Celtic sea salt over 20 years. Tastes much better than table salt also...milder and no bitter metallic aftertaste.

Understood. I don't use Iodized salt. Just have a small bowl of kosher or sea salt flakes at the table.

Purpose of the post was to inform others who may be trying to reduce / limit salt intake with a decent non-sodium/potassium based alternative.

No MSG. At least according to ingredients on the back.

Understood. I don't use Iodized salt. Just have a small bowl of kosher or sea salt flakes at the table.

Purpose of the post was to inform others who may be trying to reduce / limit salt intake with a decent non-sodium/potassium based alternative.
Have tried Mrs. Dash. Not bad. Give it a try.

Another salt-free alternative would be to use citrus juice or vinegar instead. It hits same part of the tongue as salt does. Use in marinades or sparingly at the end.

Or marry a Filipino and you'll be swimming in vinegar.

Wasn't a fan, now we buy a gallon and a half jug a month.

Whatever we don't cook with, also cleans the floors and add it to the laundry machine.

Yum!

(Seriously)

Also, cook with whole foods. Processed foods can have huge amounts.

I'd agree here. I'm willing to bet most sodium folks intake is added to packaged foods we buy. you'd be better to focus efforts on reducing added sodium than scrap seasoning your food completely.

also there seems to be alot of evidence that salt intake is not a major cause in hypertension but i suppose that's a whole other discussion.

I'd agree here. I'm willing to bet most sodium folks intake is added to packaged foods we buy. you'd be better to focus efforts on reducing added sodium than scrap seasoning your food completely.

also there seems to be alot of evidence that salt intake is not a major cause in hypertension but i suppose that's a whole other discussion.
I'm convinced the entire cholesterol scare is a pharma scam also.

Back