Contest Announcment Roc City Rib Fest, May 29 – 30, 2010

So basically I will have 4 KCBS sanctioned Empire State qualifiers within an hour and a half drive from home? Joy!

When did Western NY become a BBQ epicenter? Judging by the results of the Jack I would say that this circuit is one of the better ones in which to learn the ropes of competing for newer teams like ours, screw ice fishing bring on Q season.

So basically I will have 4 KCBS sanctioned Empire State qualifiers within an hour and a half drive from home? Joy!

When did Western NY become a BBQ epicenter? Judging by the results of the Jack I would say that this circuit is one of the better ones in which to learn the ropes of competing for newer teams like ours, screw ice fishing bring on Q season.

Last year was our first year, and there are some pretty good teams that compete in the Northeast at these NY competition. An excellent opportunity to learn a lot.

I think the comps in the Northeast and NY specifically work very hard to develop new teams, which has helped the growth of Comp BBQ in the region. The help and mentoring from the experienced teams is invaluable!

Yup 4 all within an hour and a half drive. I remember when there was ONE, and anything you wanted to cook outside of that meant an 8+ hour car ride to New England or the Mid-Atlantic Region. (Back-in-my-day Mod)

I'd really like to see Erie, PA add a KCBS Contest to their ribfest, and I know there's someone working on something for Cleveland.

WNY became a force when Cooks became Organizers, and the KCBS Organization supported that effort.

I like doing the dessert, for NEBS you can't just assemble the dessert onsite it has to be grilled in someway (main component has to be cooked onsite). Very technical category.

Brian,

IAW with NEBS rules doesn't the entire entry other then sauce, stuffing or garnish have to cooked onsite?

This is exciting! and in my backyard!!! Ok, so a few questions from the newbie, in no way would I consider competing but I'll certainly go to watch and learn. So, how much access to the teams will I have? Is there any interaction with the public from the competitors? Most importantly do I get to eat??? The only thing I know about competition is what I've seen on TV.

I'd have to agree, Turn in gets pretty hetic, but other than that most teams are very social and are willing to give ya a few pointers. Don't hesitate to ask any of the brethren your questions here. It's a great time and a lot of really cool people.

Brian,

IAW with NEBS rules doesn't the entire entry other then sauce, stuffing or garnish have to cooked onsite?

I think so, I guess thats what I was trying to get to with main component. I see that could be misleading. I will double check with NEBS (or maybe lunchlady can chime in). I will have a cooks packet out to the teams soon with the exact details and rules for each event.

Thanks!

dammit, I missed that memo... I don't know what IAW means...???? :oops:

here is part of rule #5,

4. ... Contestants may prepare and cook sauces, stuffing, and/or garnishes in advance. They may be cooked and/or re-heated on any heat source, without specific allowance in the cook’s packet, except where specifically excluded by the contest organizer in the approved cook’s packet.
(for example “all preparation/cooking must be done on site” or “all cooking must be done on “type of heat source” or other clearly defined wording.)

but mostly that is in regards to sauces, etc, like Sean said.
The part in parentheses is what needs to be stated clearly in the cook's packet.

Once that cook's packet comes out, all will be revealed... basically it is up to the organizer to state how much or how little must be cooked onsite in regards to the dessert, otherwise it should be generally understood that this is a grilling contest... The beginning of that rule says:
Cooking media must consist of wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. Allowance of any alternate cooking media is subject to approval by the NEBS Board of Directors, and must be designated in the cook’s packet.

So, If the cook's packet says that the dessert, or the main component of the dessert, must be cooked onsite then you better make sure you heat up the milk for your pudding parfait over charcoal, wood, or wood pellets. :twisted:

(taking off BoD hat and putting on lunchlady crown...)
(I gotta say... I'm with OC on this one... nothing irks me more than pudding turned in and placing at a grilling contest...)

Brian, I can't get your site to load, are you updating or something, or is it me?

Michelle.... you have never had Trish Trigg's Banana / nilla wafer pudding... that deserves 9's baby!!!

Michelle, sorry I at times revert to legalese/milspeak...IAW=in accordance with

I think the language you quoted was rule 4, but you are saying that the details are up to the contest which IAW with rule 5 must be clearly stated in the cooks package that has to be approved and published NLT that 60 days prior to the contest?

oops. it was 4. going back and forth between windows, and saw that, just forgot to change it when I finally posted.

I'm gonna say yes to your question, although I fear it may be bait...
The NEBS rules are continually being scrutinized, because NEBS wants to be fair, not only to competitors, but also to organizers and everyone else involved.
(bit of explanatory history...for those who don't know)
For the longest time New England seemed to be the only place where grilling comps existed. There was nothing set in stone, and when grilling comps were announced, the sheer number of questions from competitors was enough to make an organizer wonder why they even tried. For this reason the grilling rules were developed so that any event that was billed as a 'NEBS event' would hold some sort of predictability and structure for the teams entering it. They would know basically what to expect when they signed up, instead of having things defined at the cook's meeting, and thereby causing teams to run to the store when the answer was not what they thought going in.
There were serious issues when NEBS 'published' the rules, which have continued. even to this year. But, that is another long, involved story which doesn't belong on Brian's thread. (but I would be happy to explain to anyone that wants to know)
Getting back...
In order to fully support an event, new ones especially, there is a need for cook's packets to come in early... for everyone's benefit.
On the other hand, events that have been around for years, usually they don't have critical issues anymore.
Still, the ability to 'fully support' events that DON'T get their packets in early diminishes drastically with every passing day. We can't get the word out, teams/judges, etc. don't KNOW, and therefore can't plan.
The '60 days' is still being debated within the BoD/committee.

All of that being said, this is a relatively new slope for NEBS. Not the grilling contests themselves (Snowshoe is in it's 17th year), but hard and fast rules. There is going to be some ironing needed, but looking at the big picture, these rules are working.

So, I believe I answered your question, although rather long-winded-ly.

thanks Michelle and no worries not trying to bait you at all. Since I got called a whiner and told to man up I just wanted to actually read the rules and understand what I'm getting into.........lol

I can see how there may be room for discussion and I don't envy the policy makers that make those rules.
As it is now, is it fair to say that in the current NEBS ayatem I should be able to have the approved cooks package approximately 45 days before a contest? I understand that things happen but is that a reasonable time frame?

Also, inline with your pudding analogy, if I were to make a cheese cake with a graham cracker crust, would the crackers for the crust have to be cooked on site under the current rules? I understand that the organizer may change those requirements but was just curious if I'm reading the rule correctly.

Thanks!

First Competition

This will be my first competition. I was looking at the rules and it said vehicles only allowed for loading and unloading. Does this means RVs are not allowed at grill site? If not, how about towable trailers? Anyone know?

This will be my first competition. I was looking at the rules and it said vehicles only allowed for loading and unloading. Does this means RVs are not allowed at grill site? If not, how about towable trailers? Anyone know?

That is mainly for the tow veicles. No problem with rvs or trailers, depending on size of course:p, but we should be able to fit you in. Great to have you for your first comp!

... if I were to make a cheese cake with a graham cracker crust, would the crackers for the crust have to be cooked on site under the current rules? I understand that the organizer may change those requirements but was just curious if I'm reading the rule correctly.

Thanks!

lol... these are the kinds of questions I was referring to earlier.

I think that competitors should ask the organizer those specific types of questions, although I would also say to use common sense.
It really comes down to... If you aren't sure, ASK!!
The organizer can then figure it out, relay to the rep what he/she has approved and/or denied.
Communication here is key, along with a clear cook's packet.

NEBS doesn't want to micro-manage someone's event for them.
Allow the the organizer to do what they want... it is their contest.
NEBS just wants everything clearly spelled out for the teams LONG BEFORE they get to the event.

helpful?

As it is now, is it fair to say that in the current NEBS ayatem I should be able to have the approved cooks package approximately 45 days before a contest? I understand that things happen but is that a reasonable time frame?

forgot this question...

yep. That's what we're going for.

Back