THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is my first year ever competing in any kind of cooking contest. It all started by sitting around drinking a few beers with my a couple friends. I haven't even BBQ'd all that long, up until this year, I had never cooked a brisket. I DIDN'T even think once about entering some 'backyard' division. The first contest I cooked at had a former winner of the Jack in the field. I got into this because I thought it would be fun to see how my food would stack up against some of the best BBQ cooks in America. Like everyone has said, it's a hobby. I know I'm not gonna win everytime I go out, but at least I learn something and meet some great people at BBQ contests. Amatuer or Pro... does it matter, everyone is doing it becuase they enjoy it, not because they are out to destroy to moral of anyone who finishes lower them.

You obviously do have an opinion on the matter... you got on one of the most read BBQ websites in the world to start a thread. You own every post for your screen name, your friend can have his own opinion on his own account.

I'll skip the obvious fact that I don't make a living off contests, and just say i don't consider myself a professional anything. I actually have a finance and computer science degree... and took up BBQ as a hobby... I'm not even a professional at making stock, peeling onions, or chopping celery. Those are actual facts... not stuff you heard from some guy who you know, who had a buddy, who heard that at 31 Flavors Ferris was very sick.

I have been pretty open on the fact that I am the team you think is shady... skirting around actually mentioning my name is lame, just say it... Honestly your vagueness is more shady than anything I did. Calling my business and my team out as hiding isn't something I'm going to allow... its not true. My business is advertised as "Competition BBQ without Competition"... and lists my Transformer BBQ team name as well as my business partners (I Smell Smoke!!! since I'd hate to get a post about how I kept that a secret). The NEBS site, where I got the info on the contest... regularly has things from my business and my team. The point was to promote my business, so hiding that would have been a little counter productive.

Final thoughts: I stopped posting on and reading bbq sites because of this type of garbage. By bashing not only my team, but my business you did call me out... you, not "your friend" called me out. I am done commenting on something you heard third person, but did forward your posts about the organizer to him just to confirm he did say those things. I'll be happy to share his reply if he's ok with that.

Last edited:
Which opinion is that ? That a team seems shady for competing under their catering company name ? That opinion seems idiotic to me. Keep in mind I'm not calling anyone an idiot specifically.

In the big picture, with the impression that it was an "amateur" contest, to some, it did. After he explained why, it makes sense. Like I said, at the time it seemed suspicious until he explained.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves what he's earned. I don't want to take any thing away from that and I apologize if I did.

But from what I understand, the contest organizer wanted to keep this an amateur, backyard level contest. If that opinion was intended but not promoted as such, then it is the organizers fault. Hopefully, the one next year won't leave any room for misinterpretation?

I'm just giving my opinion from the way I see it and the information I have available. If I'm wrong, I'm big enough to admit it if there is information contrary to what I know.

Our team will be trying to cook at 4 competitions this year (all KCBS). Some of these competitions do not have a backyard section. So we cook with what I call the big boys. But I preferred to cook in the back yard ones, it's cheaper and a good place to work on our timing . I remember last year at Pigs And Peaches (http://www.kennesaw.com/pigs-peaches-bbq-festival/ ) a team that competes mostly with the "big boys" cooked with the back yard and did very well. Some people got upset.

while i do doubt a team with little to no experience is going to have good luck going up against an experienced team, the winner of this contest last year(which was an inexperienced team)went on to win NEBS rookie team of the year. it just goes to show if ya got good Q, experienced in comp or not, it'll come through, and you'll do OK. learn a bit each time out and you'll get better and better results.

when it comes to competition BBQ, i kinda think the only difference between backyard/amatuer and professional is the entry fee. it's the exact opposite of the true definition of the word professional. the pro BBQ'ers pay large entry fees consistently to play, backyard/amatuer is low or free....

when it comes to competition BBQ, i kinda think the only difference between backyard/amatuer and professional is the entry fee. it's the exact opposite of the true definition of the word professional. the pro BBQ'ers pay large entry fees to play, backyard/amatuer is low or free....

Also something I think is important is the difference in how a cook/team carries themselves.. Forget for a minute about KCBS or any other organizations potential future definitions, regarding $$ earned, awards won, cost of entry etc...

In order to have the balls to call yourself a professional, one needs to conduct themselves accordingly... Dirty cooking sites, dirty equipment, drunkeness and not lending a needed hand, word or advice or encouragement to a new team do not make a real pro.

Also something I think is important is the difference in how a cook/team carries themselves.. Forget for a minute about KCBS or any other organizations potential future definitions, regarding $$ earned, awards won, cost of entry etc...

In order to have the balls to call yourself a professional, one needs to conduct themselves accordingly... Dirty cooking sites, dirty equipment, drunkeness and not lending a needed hand, word or advice or encouragement to a new team do not make a real pro.

very good point. and certainly worth mention. :thumb:

I like to compare competition BBQ to the early days of NASCAR (in case you hadn't noticed). There are a lot of similarities. One of the similarities is drivers who never ever won a race . . . but had lots of experience and were competing for many years. These drivers were considered profesionals: Jimmy Means, J.D. McDuffie, Chad Little, Robert Pressley, Dick Trickle, Rick Wilson and Wally Dallenbach all match the description of never winning a single race.

But who would call any one of those drivers less than a professional?

Winning doesn't make someone a professional. It's how they conduct themselves. Think of the KCBS CBJs. I know that most of the judges I've met are true professionals conducting themselves to the highest standards. But are they 'paid'? No. But they are serious about their duties and they do their best in every aspect of their functions.

What makes an amateur? Someone who has no idea what they are doing beyond the most basic instructions. (Cook meat over fire.)

BUT - in every competition I've been involved in, including a single non-sanctioned event, everyone has been in the same 'class'. Competitor. Either you are - or you're not. Sure, it's tough to step up if you don't have experience, but that experience of stepping up will be more valuable to you than you will ever realize.

So don't bemoan professionals being in the competition. Be grateful that they are there to learn from and that you, as an amateur, can gain a lot from them being there.

Very well said!

I like to compare competition BBQ to the early days of NASCAR (in case you hadn't noticed). There are a lot of similarities. One of the similarities is drivers who never ever won a race . . . but had lots of experience and were competing for many years. These drivers were considered profesionals: Jimmy Means, J.D. McDuffie, Chad Little, Robert Pressley, Dick Trickle, Rick Wilson and Wally Dallenbach all match the description of never winning a single race.

But who would call any one of those drivers less than a professional?

Winning doesn't make someone a professional. It's how they conduct themselves. Think of the KCBS CBJs. I know that most of the judges I've met are true professionals conducting themselves to the highest standards. But are they 'paid'? No. But they are serious about their duties and they do their best in every aspect of their functions.

What makes an amateur? Someone who has no idea what they are doing beyond the most basic instructions. (Cook meat over fire.)

BUT - in every competition I've been involved in, including a single non-sanctioned event, everyone has been in the same 'class'. Competitor. Either you are - or you're not. Sure, it's tough to step up if you don't have experience, but that experience of stepping up will be more valuable to you than you will ever realize.

So don't bemoan professionals being in the competition. Be grateful that they are there to learn from and that you, as an amateur, can gain a lot from them being there.

I really don't care who I compete against. My main goal in these contests is do the best that I can, have fun and meet some good folks. In the past 3 contests we have been surrounded by 3 teams that competed in Pittmasters last year and done very well and the team who won the whole shootin match, and the team who placed second in the American Royal Invatational. I found all 4 of these teams to be great folks.

My take is don't worry about it and do the best you can.

Sherwood 3 BBQ

I really don't care who I compete against. My main goal in these contests is do the best that I can, have fun and meet some good folks. In the past 3 contests we have been surrounded by 3 teams that competed in Pittmasters last year and done very well and the team who won the whole shootin match, and the team who placed second in the American Royal Invatational. I found all 4 of these teams to be great folks.

My take is don't worry about it and do the best you can.

Sherwood 3 BBQ

My question to you cubfan is this: Did you go to a competition that you knew would have big names, or the potential that big names would be there, or did you go to an amateur contest, thinking that you would be competing against other amateurs just starting out, and they showed up?

Here's the online advertisement for the contest:

http://www.mannorchards.com/index.php?p=2_15

Here is the definition of a "professional":

professional [prəˈfɛʃənəl]
adj 1. of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in as a profession
2. engaging in an activity for gain or as a means of livelihood
3. extremely competent in a job, etc.
4. undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid

n 1. (Business / Professions) a person who belongs to or engages in one of the professions
2. a person who engages for his livelihood in some activity also pursued by amateurs
3. a person who engages in an activity with great competence
4. (General Sporting Terms) an expert player of a game who gives instruction, esp to members of a club by whom he is hired

So, how much experience should one have before they are no longer considered an amatuer in competition BBQ?

So, how much experience should one have before they are no longer considered an amatuer in competition BBQ?

We have been cooking competively for 6 years. Our first contest was a KCBS sanctioned event. We dove right in and did not have the benefit of an amatuer contest to prepare ourselves with. We have never won a contest, although we have come very close a few times (RGC). We run a tidy site, conduct ourselves accordingly and are always willing to lend a hand if asked. We cook for fun. We are a family team that do this to spend a weekend of fun together. Would you consider us professional?

My question to you cubfan is this: Did you go to a competition that you knew would have big names, or the potential that big names would be there, or did you go to an amateur contest, thinking that you would be competing against other amateurs just starting out, and they showed up?

Before I entered my first contest a friend told me folks from all around participate in these contests. I figured if you travel some distance you might be pretty good. So yes, I did think there might be "pro" teams there. This pro and amateur thing has me puzzled. If you are doing something for money you are no longer an amatuer. And if your willing to pony up the $$$ for the entry you must think your BBQ is pretty good also.

We have been cooking competively for 6 years. Our first contest was a KCBS sanctioned event. We dove right in and did not have the benefit of an amatuer contest to prepare ourselves with. We have never won a contest, although we have come very close a few times (RGC). We run a tidy site, conduct ourselves accordingly and are always willing to lend a hand if asked. We cook for fun. We are a family team that do this to spend a weekend of fun together. Would you consider us professional?[/QUOTE]

If you took RGC in a sanctioned contest, I would not consider you an amatuer, that's for sure!!!

Here's a question for you. Now that you've placed and won a few awards, would you enter a contest listed as amatuer?

Back