Pro Teams at Amatuer contests

We have been cooking competively for 6 years. Our first contest was a KCBS sanctioned event. We dove right in and did not have the benefit of an amatuer contest to prepare ourselves with. We have never won a contest, although we have come very close a few times (RGC). We run a tidy site, conduct ourselves accordingly and are always willing to lend a hand if asked. We cook for fun. We are a family team that do this to spend a weekend of fun together. Would you consider us professional?

If you took RGC in a sanctioned contest, I would not consider you an amatuer, that's for sure!!!

Here's a question for you. Now that you've placed and won a few awards, would you enter a contest listed as amatuer?

Absolutely! We got lucky a couple of times. We consider ourselves an amatuer team that likes to gauge ourselves against the best competition we can find. We obviously are not in it for the money. We are not even in the same league as some of the teams we have competed against. How are you going to hit big league pitching if you have never faced a big league pitcher.

I am not going to beat the dead horse, but rather speak to the event, b/c I would hate to see someone get a bad impression b/c of this thread. We competed at Mann last year and had a blast, it was only our 2nd or 3rd event and we were looking to get experience, which we did. We had a great time, and I think that's all that matters. We went in with the expectation that there would be some more accomplished teams there b/c it was advertised on the NEBS website and on the Mann site as professional/amature. Regardless you couldn't beat the price...free and the organizers were great hosts, loved the apple crisp. I gathered it was meant to be fun, and more laid back that your traditional sanctioned contests. We might have participated again were it not the weekend before Rochester and a fair distance for us to travel. Its a great early season event that allows you to turn in the more traditional meats.

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to the organizers for putting on a great event. Please keep it up.

This is the stupidest debate I have ever read. Cook your best, take your lumps when you lose the first few times out just as all of us did and either quit or come back stronger the next time because of it.

You're talking like you're a baby holding a plastic teeball bat in a home run hitting contest against Barry Bonds*.

Wow, I can't believe I actually wasted my time reading through this embarrassing thread by whining about a friend's contest experience and thinking that all this time and effort debating who is classified as a professional vs. amateur. All this while some of YOUR BRETHREN were being true, giving BBQ Professionals whether or not they compete, organize, judge, or just support our hobby/sport/profession. If you are in the dark, check out this dying thread on this forum: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107198 OR those of you that have a FB account can check out this link - start at the beginning and work your way up.

Flame me all you want, I will not respond to any posts relating to this thread. Just try to put this past week in perspective.

Back