Pro Teams at Amatuer contests

IMHO, if you/we cook where there is money won and accepted then you are a Pro cook...I dont care if it is a pro or ametur cook off if its close and has a good pay out Im there..:becky::heh:

My son has cooked 2 amatuer contests and used all of my equipment and won them both. I think he is a pro. Cheating little farker.

This event will be held on Saturday, May 22nd and Sunday, May 23rd at Mann Orchards in Methuen, MA. This BBQ smoke off is open to all amateur and professional barbeques in our area.

That particular link is for 2010, not 2011. The 2011 "label" is different. "3rd Annual Amature Applewood Smoke-Off".

(yes, I know -- Amature was misspelled by them).​

No names need to be mentioned. Not here to trash the person or the team.

In regards to your analogy. If someone has to take out a business loan to start a business, do they consider themselves a "professional" before or after they pay off those loans? My point being, does making a profit constitute being a professional?

I think the IRS defines your profession as 51% of your net income (after expenses).

When their contest winnings (after all the contest expenses are deducted) are 51% of their income, then yeah, they're a professional barbecue contest cook.

Even the greatest of the great probably dont do that (above). I wasn't trying to slight them by any stretch, just trying to bring up a point that not many if any are by that definition a Pro. I mean, by your definition, then I became a Pro in 2008 winning a few thousand dollars. However, all those winnings did just BARELY cover the costs. Luckily I'm a professional at something else that pays the bills...

Right now probably the most winning team is Bub-Ba-Q; who happens to be a brethren (sorry if I mis-spelled it). Oh, by the way, he owns barbecue restaurants, and that's his profession. He's a restauranteur... That's his profession. He happens to be a helluva competitor.

To the KCBS defining what a Pro is, what about the other barbecue cooks who dont participate in the KCBS "circuit"? I dont think Bubba Grills does KCBS, but they do probably 12 contests each year, and they just won Ribs at Memphis In May, and I *think* they were RGC. Gotta watch any one sanctioning body defining what is and isn't a pro.

All, I will be cooking tomorrow in Westmont. Second year for ribs.. Second time ever in a competitive environment. I'm going to have fun and try my best. Will there be teams with more experience, sure, do I care no!!! I'm out to have fun learn and see what happens. It's a hobby, not a source of income. As for next weekend I will be trying my luck in a small event with all four meats and I know I will be competing against others but mostly against myself. IE - did i time myself right, did I prep correctly, did I try my best... Again much respect to all that have opinions but lets have some fun.... Come stop bye, I will be the guy with the red weber and the UDS...

That particular link is for 2010, not 2011. The 2011 "label" is different. "3rd Annual Amature Applewood Smoke-Off".

(yes, I know -- Amature was misspelled by them).

Thanks for clearing that up.. Would seem then that the organizer at least put some more thought into by removing "professional" it this year.

I agree with some of the others though, that this is an arbitrary term at best.

Thanks for clearing that up.. Would seem then that the organizer at least put some more thought into by removing "professional" it this year.

I agree with some of the others though, that this is an arbitrary term at best.

That's really all I've been trying to say. It's arbitrary, and very gray. There are very few black and whites in this one.

Aside, for me, whether I'm considered a Pro or an amateur (I dont think myself either, just a hobbyist competitor that has had a little success here and there), I'd much rather compete against the accomplished competitors. That way when I do good I truly feel like I've accomplished something. Otherwise I'm learning, and frankly I'd rather learn amongst the best. Otherwise, IMHO, why compete at all?

That's really all I've been trying to say. It's arbitrary, and very gray. There are very few black and whites in this one.

Aside, for me, whether I'm considered a Pro or an amateur (I dont think myself either, just a hobbyist competitor that has had a little success here and there), I'd much rather compete against the accomplished competitors. That way when I do good I truly feel like I've accomplished something. Otherwise I'm learning, and frankly I'd rather learn amongst the best. Otherwise, IMHO, why compete at all?

I agree...unless a contest is being pitched as an amateur contest. And from what I've been told, that's what it was suppose to be. From what I've heard, even the contest organizer was upset when he found out the the winning team had been around the block and back on the BBQ circuit. Maybe it's partially his fault for not being clearer or doing better screening. Maybe he's blowing smoke to cover his own backside? Weather we agree or not, thanks for your opinions!!!

I noticed that their present link corrected the "Amature" typo :).

No "WHINING" here...I just don't think that some one that has cooked on the circuit for 3 years consistantly and 5 years collectively should classify themselves as "amateur" and compete in a contest that references "amateur contest" as being the focus of it.

Like they say, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's ethical. Maybe I just have different ethics?

Certainly looks like whining from where I'm sitting. I find it sad that not one person in this thread or any other thread about this contest bothered to congratulate the winner. That's very unbrethren like.

If you or 'your friend' can't take getting beat by whoever then perhaps competition is not for you. :thumb:

Hey, if I had been given the chance to play against Michael Jordan, I would have taken it...And I never even played BB...and cant dribble with my left hand and have to look at the ball when I dribble with my right...I would have taken the shot...

To the KCBS defining what a Pro is, what about the other barbecue cooks who dont participate in the KCBS "circuit"? I dont think Bubba Grills does KCBS, but they do probably 12 contests each year, and they just won Ribs at Memphis In May, and I *think* they were RGC. Gotta watch any one sanctioning body defining what is and isn't a pro.

Like it or not KCBS has hundreds more contests than MBN or the FBA and they are the swinging dick when it comes to BBQ sanctioning outside of Texas. And Bubba Grills cooks at Lakeland Florida in the KCBS contest every January.

I believe that if the contest is separated into "backyard" and "pro" divisions then I believe that the teams that honestly feel like they can hang with the big boys should stay out of the backyard division. Teams that don't feel this way should probably hang back until they do.

However, if a team competes in backyard alot and consistently wins then they should really think about moving up.

Once in as a pro

Once u cook as a pro stay out of am contests. Its just not the right thing to do and most cookers know its not right.

RLN Just sayin

Certainly looks like whining from where I'm sitting. I find it sad that not one person in this thread or any other thread about this contest bothered to congratulate the winner. That's very unbrethren like.

If you or 'your friend' can't take getting beat by whoever then perhaps competition is not for you. :thumb:

You obviously missed my point. Not that I care. Or am I or others not entitled to an opinion?

I/we can handle getting beat just as well as the rest.

I can hold my own just fine!

You obviously missed my point. Not that I care. Or am I or others not entitled to an opinion?

I/we can handle getting beat just as well as the rest.

I can hold my own just fine!

I get the point. With all your "from what I hear", "from what I've been told" from all you've made up and calling someone shady. Get your facts straight, grow a set and grow up while your at it, I mean you did compare yourself to a high school athlete. The team that won must have developed some awesome bbq cooking muscles (great analogy...NOT).

I get the point. With all your "from what I hear", "from what I've been told" from all you've made up and calling someone shady. Get your facts straight, grow a set and grow up while your at it, I mean you did compare yourself to a high school athlete. The team that won must have developed some awesome bbq cooking muscles (great analogy...NOT).

I didn't call anyone shady specifically. What I said was that it appeared shady, there is a difference. And I haven't made any thing up.

And where did I compare myself to a pro athlete exactly? I used an analogy of a pro athlete vs high school, but I don't see where I used me as the example. Or is this in fairytale land?

I guess some one can't have an opinion if it's different than yours?

Like it or not KCBS has hundreds more contests than MBN or the FBA and they are the swinging dick when it comes to BBQ sanctioning outside of Texas. And Bubba Grills cooks at Lakeland Florida in the KCBS contest every January.

I didnt mean to insult KCBS or insinuate that it wasnt the swinging meat in most places. I think most of us are quite aware of it. In many places, that I'm aware of, it's about the only meat, isn't it?

You're possibly quite right on the Lakeland comp, it wouldnt surprise me.

My point was simply that there are many competitors in many areas that compete in other sanctioning bodies other than KCBS. That's not a slight on KCBS; it's just what it is. Any one sanctioning body, even the big kahuna, defining what is and isn't "pro" is much like the majority governing political party deciding what is a patriotic American. I think not.

We've cooked three backyard events and a few dozen sanctioned events over the past 5 years. All of the backyard events were done after we had at least a dozen sanctioned events under our belt. Of the three backyard events that we did, we also cooked a sanctioned event on the very same day, which means 8 turn ins in 4 hours. If anything, we were at a disadvantage against the other cooks that only had 4 turn ins that day.

Personally, I want to compete against the best in any event we do. If someone doesnt like competing against a team that is better than them, competion BBQ (of any sort) probably isnt what they should pursue.

Back