Pit Boss Copperhead Cook 2: Big ol Beef Ribs & Chicken Heart Sausage

Friends messaged me about coming over tomorrow so took out some tips and rib parts, gave them a quick hot tub in the sink just so I could get them apart and threw them on half frozen.

Beef ribs looking good after about two hours

82d45ae06deab91048fe62faa7a732a7.jpg
d689c32e53d47dd98d05afc4bd55607f.jpg
9721ade833eeb1f062e7341b86af64e8.jpg
6645ad07eb31d645b5f6d292cd809793.jpg

I had it cranked then dropped it. Seems to work well. Mid 30s when I started but supposed to be freaking 60 today

That’s good... Mid 30’s, did You set your grills P-setting to P4 or P3? On cold weather temp cooks, it’s better to use a lower P-setting like P3 or P2 and when the outside temps are warmer, then you can go up to P5 to get a bit more smoke flavor. Your grill will put out great smoke flavor while on smoke mode on up to 250* degrees... Above 250* degrees, the smoke will start to taper over. High P-Settings and cold temps don’t mix very well. I don’t recommend using P6 or P7 ever... Also, if You can get/find Lumberjack 100% wood pellets, you’ll be able to benefit from the added smoke flavor from 100% wood pellets and not just added oil flavor pellets like Traeger and others puts out...

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

That’s good... Mid 30’s, did You set your grills P-setting to P4 or P3? On cold weather temp cooks, it’s better to use a lower P-setting like P3 or P2 and when the outside temps are warmer, then you can go up to P5 to get a bit more smoke flavor. Your grill will put out great smoke flavor while on smoke mode on up to 250* degrees... Above 250* degrees, the smoke will start to taper over. High P-Settings and cold temps don’t mix very well. I don’t recommend using P6 or P7 ever... Also, if You can get/find Lumberjack 100% wood pellets, you’ll be able to benefit from the added smoke flavor from 100% wood pellets and not just added oil flavor pellets like Traeger and others puts out...

I saw people talking left and right about the p setting and with all things bbq everyone disagreed with everyone, there was no primary consensus . Almost seemed like a flaw if you have to change something like that to adjust auger flow. But the copperhead doesn't have that adjustment thank god :becky:

Running hotter it doesn't seem like it would be a problem. I'm not overthinking this smoker. Turn it on, add meat and go. I know most literally everyone runs lower, but I don't plan on it much.

Plenty of smoke in the 350 brisket I did last week.
nOjdKO1l.jpg

Good luck with your cook today... I would recommend preheating at 300*-350* degrees first for 20-30 minutes to get your PB Copperhead temps stable and then drop it down to your desired temp of 250* degrees to prevent the possibility of abnormal temp swings.. I’ve found when I would preheat below 300* degrees or didn’t preheat my PB at all, I would suffer abnormal temp swings. After I figured that out, I haven’t any any issues with temp swings since July of last year. Also using a water pan helps with keeping temps happy and stable as well. I hope you turn out some fantastic bbq today... :arrow: And Go RAMS!!! lol

This is nice to know. How long does it take to preheat?

Page 16 of the manual states to start at 350 to preheat for 15-20 minutes. :pound:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would you ever consider using pellet for your competitions?

Funny you ask :becky:.......So the competition that we vend every year for a the main charity (Sip & Swine) we've never competed at simply because it was just fun to relax, vend and enjoy not competing.........

This year we might try and do both. My initial thought was cook a few meats on my Shirley since it will be there anyways and bring one drum. Now I'm thinking bring my new easy bake oven as I could cook it all in there and see what happens :becky:. So it might happen just to see what happens......and because I like trying new things at competitions without ever having practiced them :crazy:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but all this "pellet you have to smoke at 200-225 for the whole time or at least first few hours to get good flavor/smoke in it" I just don't get......

250 and bumped to 275 and the samples I took off the ribs are awesome.
5cc7a5acf93faab872c100cc1b9fdfe5.jpg
8fe8e29323c20c4fa9342ce0061c9c7a.jpg
826b99d097cda408e2da411bde194ebd.jpg
f4504d1914decf12fe5e7d32476e3b2e.jpg
You probably are doing it wrong. READ THE MANUAL!!! :loco:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In my short time using this thing it does seem like it holds temps better having the water pan full. But the water goes quick. Might have to fill it with sand next time to see if that works like the water seems to.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but all this "pellet you have to smoke at 200-225 for the whole time or at least first few hours to get good flavor/smoke in it" I just don't get......

250 and bumped to 275 and the samples I took off the ribs are awesome. ]

Looks great! Im the same way. I don’t do the smoke for 2-4 hours and bump thing. I’d try competing on one. It would take a lot stress off of you and the food will always turn out great!

Man, you are killing it with this smoker! Seems we may have another pellet head in the making? [emoji15]

Back