Pit Boss Copperhead Cook 2: Big ol Beef Ribs & Chicken Heart Sausage

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Ran to RD this morning to get some butts for a competition and saw some nice 2 packs of beef ribs which is great as they normally come in 4 packs most of the time. I had to triple check these weren't double stacked as they looked crazy thick, but they look great.

Copperhead fired up and will run a little lower this go round. Maybe start around 250 and ramp later to get them done for around 5:30'ish.

0tD7YDkl.jpg

zCv9NtMl.jpg

GgtwhbXl.jpg

Marbling looks promising
CBjs8Cul.jpg

I'll also be smoking up some of my chicken heart sausage I made this week and the "nashville hot" recipe too.

More to come........

Since you've done a couple of cooks on the Copperhead, I have a question: Have you had the problem of grease dripping from the smokestack? I did some wings and there was grease all over the top of the smoker. The wings did turn out great though.

My Copperhead is preheating now for some brisket. Used sriracha for the binder like I saw in your cook. Plan to do an hour or two around 200 and then crank it up.

Since you've done a couple of cooks on the Copperhead, I have a question: Have you had the problem of grease dripping from the smokestack? I did some wings and there was grease all over the top of the smoker. The wings did turn out great though.

I didnt on my first cook, but will keep an eye out.

That is serious marbling! I also like steak seasoning on my beef ribs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good luck with your cook today... I would recommend preheating at 300*-350* degrees first for 20-30 minutes to get your PB Copperhead temps stable and then drop it down to your desired temp of 250* degrees to prevent the possibility of abnormal temp swings.. I’ve found when I would preheat below 300* degrees or didn’t preheat my PB at all, I would suffer abnormal temp swings. After I figured that out, I haven’t any any issues with temp swings since July of last year. Also using a water pan helps with keeping temps happy and stable as well. I hope you turn out some fantastic bbq today... :arrow: And Go RAMS!!! lol

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I did on my first pork shoulder cook. I had let the water pan run dry, so I think the fat was dripping down onto the pan, and it would cook and evaporate, and out the stack. Total mess.

I didnt on my first cook, but will keep an eye out.

What do you have in the pan that's covered with foil?

Good luck with your cook today... I would recommend preheating at 300*-350* degrees first for 20-30 minutes to get your PB Copperhead temps stable and then drop it down to your desired temp of 250* degrees to prevent the possibility of abnormal temp swings.. I’ve found when I would preheat below 300* degrees or didn’t preheat my PB at all, I would suffer abnormal temp swings. After I figured that out, I haven’t any any issues with temp swings since July of last year. Also using a water pan helps with keeping temps happy and stable as well. I hope you turn out some fantastic bbq today... :arrow: And Go RAMS!!! lol

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I had it cranked then dropped it. Seems to work well. Mid 30s when I started but supposed to be freaking 60 today

I did on my first pork shoulder cook. I had let the water pan run dry, so I think the fat was dripping down onto the pan, and it would cook and evaporate, and out the stack. Total mess.

What do you have in the pan that's covered with foil?

Nothing. Just peel off the foil each cook and put new on

I still had some burning issues with the lowest cooking item, when it was about a 1/3rd of the way up. It was on a dry-water pan cook, so I thought a secondary heat sink/diffuser might help.

Back