THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys I wanted to let you know I won a Chili cook-off at work today. The biggest reason I won was because I used PBC smoked chuck for the meat. It definitely set my chili apart from the rest. I wish I had taken pictures but I had a lot going on while I was cooking (and honestly I just forgot) so I didn't get any pictures. :mmph:

So, for the next year at work I carry the title of "Chili Master".....lol. :becky:

Hey guys I wanted to let you know I won a Chili cook-off at work today. The biggest reason I won was because I used PBC smoked chuck for the meat. It definitely set my chili apart from the rest. I wish I had taken pictures but I had a lot going on while I was cooking (and honestly I just forgot) so I didn't get any pictures. :mmph:

So, for the next year at work I carry the title of "Chili Master".....lol. :becky:

Congrats. Too bad no pics or you could have entered the chill and soup throwdown !

It works as is Bob. I just flip it over. Not sure if you can see well but the rack's also got two collapsible legs and when flipped down they match the circumference of the PBC basket perfect and lock in place for a snug fit. Funny thing is the rack had been laying around rusting away and I was going to throw it away but figured it'll be handy for something one day. :grin:

That's why I tell my wife is never want to get rid of stuff. You just never know!

Congrats. Too bad no pics or you could have entered the chill and soup throwdown !

Wow! Man I've barely been able to keep up with this thread lately. I didn't even realize there was a chili and soup throwdown. I wish I would have known, I definitely would have entered......

:clap2:

Congrats Chili Master previous known as AClarke44. :biggrin1: That is awesome. :thumb:

I just saw on Twitter someone used the PBC to make smoked ice for cocktails. Definitely going to try this next cook with the leftover coals. I believe Meathead has an article on it

Bite the bullet and purchase a PartyQ or the new gizmo Noah is promoting for temperature control. The addition of temperature control elevates the PBC to another level IMO

I'm to the point of frustration with my PBC.

I thought maybe it was the new Weber coals last weekend. The weekend before that, it was pretty cold I think. I used straight KBB the first time and lit and started the burn exactly as the instructions line out. Last time I used the new Weber coals and well, we've been through that.

This time I used about 2/3 KBB and about 1/3 lump thinking that mix should run hotter and more consistent. I even left the lid off for 10 minutes after dumping the chimney to make sure I got a good light. The opening on the bottom is about 3/4 open. I'm at 3700 feet elevation.

I love the flavor this gives my cooks. However, I was sold on it running itself somewhat and doing that hot and fast. That is not happening for me.

Bite the bullet and purchase a PartyQ or the new gizmo Noah is promoting for temperature control. The addition of temperature control elevates the PBC to another level IMO

I don't see a controller on the PBC website. Got a link?

10# Pork Butt

I've had my PBC since June, but have primarily cooked only ribs and chicken. However, this weekend I am cooking a 10lb pork shoulder. I was wondering how long I could rest it and have it still be hot. I will be putting it on around 11AM and serving it at about 6PM.

I've had my PBC since June, but have primarily cooked only ribs and chicken. However, this weekend I am cooking a 10lb pork shoulder. I was wondering how long I could rest it and have it still be hot. I will be putting it on around 11AM and serving it at about 6PM.

That only gives you 7 hrs. You may think about starting earlier. Not saying you can't get it done in 7 but it might cut it close. I'd start it about 9 am. You can hold a butt for several hours. So if you get it done a couple hours early no big deal. Here's how I would do it.....When it's probe tender pull it off and slightly unwrap foil. Rest on a counter top for about 15 min. While resting get an ice chest and fill with hot water. When you are ready to tightly re-wrap the butt, empty the water from the ice chest and put a towel in the bottom of the ice chest. Wrap the butt back up in foil, then wrap it with a couple towels. Place in the ice chest and close the lid. Should hold for several hours that way. You can also leave a temp probe inside the butt to ensure it doesn't drop below about 155-160 while resting.
You should rest this way any time you cook a butt for at least an hour.

Maybe some others will chime in on how they do it.....

Good luck! :thumb:

That only gives you 7 hrs. You may think about starting earlier. Not saying you can't get it done in 7 but it might cut it close. I'd start it about 9 am. You can hold a butt for several hours. So if you get it done a couple hours early no big deal. Here's how I would do it.....When it's probe tender pull it off and slightly unwrap foil. Rest on a counter top for about 15 min. While resting get an ice chest and fill with hot water. When you are ready to tightly re-wrap the butt, empty the water from the ice chest and put a towel in the bottom of the ice chest. Wrap the butt back up in foil, then wrap it with a couple towels. Place in the ice chest and close the lid. Should hold for several hours that way. You can also leave a temp probe inside the butt to ensure it doesn't drop below about 155-160 while resting.

Good plan Andrew!

Ok thanks I think will do that. I was thinking about foiling around 3 hours in, do you think is too soon?

Ok thanks I think will do that. I was thinking about foiling around 3 hours in, do you think is too soon?

Foil when you hit the stall. It should happen around 160° internal. Could be sooner though. That'll probably happen about the 3-4 hr point though. Also you can not wrap if it hits the stall sooner to give you more time if you want. Once you wrap it'll cook fast.

Oh and I should have mentioned when I said 7 hrs may cut it close, I was assuming a 275-300° temp. If you cook hotter, or you don't monitor the cooker temp, it could easily be done sooner so take that into consideration.

Back