THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't see a controller on the PBC website. Got a link?

Sorry, I saw Noah's video about using the Thermoworks temperature management and monitoring and thought he was selling it on his site. Check out this video.

Next check out the line of Thermoworks products at their site -- Thermoworks and the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. A match made in a barrel

I have been using the PartyQ from BBQGuru with great results, but must say the wireless has great appeal.

Perhaps combining the PartyQ controller with one of the wireless monitors would be the best option.

(I should pay closer attention as what Noah is showing doesn't control the temperature.) sorry

Last edited:
How do you even say something like that when you've never cooked on one :tsk:

Skip to 15:15. I don't know why the link doesn't embed right.

[ame="https://youtu.be/IxCqB8piYZs?t=15m14s"]https://youtu.be/IxCqB8piYZs?t=15m14s[/ame]

How do you even say something like that when you've never cooked on one :tsk:

Skip to 15:15. I don't know why the link doesn't embed right.

https://youtu.be/IxCqB8piYZs?t=15m14s

Classic response from someone who's never cooked on a PBC. Look at how many folks right here in this forum say negative things about the PBC without ever having tasted food from one or cooking on one.
Honestly before I bought mine I had my doubts too. That changed after the very first cook!

We should hang him in the PBC and see if his feet cook faster than his head. Only then will he know how evenly it cooks! :wink:

Lol, We'd need a UDS for that because he wouldn't fit. :biggrin1:

Classic response from someone who's never cooked on a PBC. Look at how many folks right here in this forum say negative things about the PBC without ever having tasted food from one or cooking on one.
Honestly before I bought mine I had my doubts too. That changed after the very first cook!

And he's a bbq guy. He probably steered many folks away that would've been completely happy with one. He also swears Yoder Wichita is the best offset smoker when a bunch of folks are having airflow issues with the intake damper on that smoker. They won't happy to find out after they shelled out around $2000.

I'm subbed to his channel BTW and he does a lot of awesome cooks. :biggrin1: I disagree with him on this one though.

Ordered my PBC this morning with cover, hinged grill grate and chimney starter. I have been waiting for a while to make this purchase (bonus check!) and am so excited for my first cook, and my 1000th cook. I love that it's shipping from about 80 miles away and it will be here tomorrow with standard shipping :).

Went with some gloves, and ThermoPro thermometers from Amazon to accompany it.

Looks like I'll be having some ribs and who knows what else for the SuperBowl!!!

Ordered my PBC this morning with cover, hinged grill grate and chimney starter. I have been waiting for a while to make this purchase (bonus check!) and am so excited for my first cook, and my 1000th cook. I love that it's shipping from about 80 miles away and it will be here tomorrow with standard shipping :).

Went with some gloves, and ThermoPro thermometers from Amazon to accompany it.

Looks like I'll be having some ribs and who knows what else for the SuperBowl!!!

Congrats. Welcome to the club!!

Since I know there are several SoCal Bretheren that frequent this thread:

Picked up a 7 1/2 pound bone-in butt from Ralph's for $11 last night. Regular price was $30.

On that note, what is everyone smoking for the Super Bowl? Who is firing up the PBC?

Thanks for the tip on the butt. I'll check out the Ralph's around here when I stop for some yard birds later to throw on tonight as my first cook.

My PBC arrived today about 90 minutes ago. Had it ready to go in about 20 minutes once I found the hooks.

Thanks for the tip on the butt. I'll check out the Ralph's around here when I stop for some yard birds later to throw on tonight as my first cook.

My PBC arrived today about 90 minutes ago. Had it ready to go in about 20 minutes once I found the hooks.

Prepare to be obsessed!

Since I know there are several SoCal Bretheren that frequent this thread:

Picked up a 7 1/2 pound bone-in butt from Ralph's for $11 last night. Regular price was $30.

On that note, what is everyone smoking for the Super Bowl? Who is firing up the PBC?

Guys,

Nothing wrong with Ralphs, actually my favorite supermarket, but for butts I've been getting Farmer John's from Smart and Final. FWIW, their products come from Central Cal and I've been really impressed with the quality. I used to exclusively buy my butts from Sam's but I switched to Smart and Final and haven't looked back. IIRC Ralphs sells Farmer John butts also but they triple the price where now S&F sells them at $1.39 max and down to $.99 at times.

And congrats on the PBC SS. You'll love it.

Thanks for the tip. Ralph's is my local store so I just check to see if they are on sale. Pretty sure I haven't bought one at regular price from them because that $30 price tag seems insane. I was there for TP last night but decided there would be pulled pork this weekend when I saw the price.

If S&F is doing that low of a price point at all times and not just for sales, I will definitely stop there when pulled pork is on the menu.

Last time I got one at Ralph's and had them go in the back to get me a whole one, it was a Farmer John butt so you're correct that Ralph's sells them too.

Last night on my first cook on my PBC I did chicken.
One chicken I did with the All Purpose rub that came with the PBC, and the other I did my standby chicken seasoning of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Both came out amazing...of course.

My question however is that the PBC rubs, for us, are a bit herb-y. My wife and I were thinking using the Beef and Game as a base and combine it with some brown sugar, more paprika, and maybe a few other things to fill it out to make a more sweet dry rub. We like more dry rub, than saucing our ribs, like Memphis style.

Thoughts? Has anyone done any trials with such a crazy thought? Anyone have a great dry rub for Memphis style ribs?

One chicken I did with the All Purpose rub that came with the PBC, and the other I did my standby chicken seasoning of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Both came out amazing...of course.

My question however is that the PBC rubs, for us, are a bit herb-y. My wife and I were thinking using the Beef and Game as a base and combine it with some brown sugar, more paprika, and maybe a few other things to fill it out to make a more sweet dry rub. We like more dry rub, than saucing our ribs, like Memphis style.

Thoughts? Has anyone done any trials with such a crazy thought? Anyone have a great dry rub for Memphis style ribs?

I usually use commercial rubs like Big Poppa Smokers, Simply Marvelous, etc. If you like to make your own, Meathead's Memphis Dust is a winner!
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
Congrats on your new PBC and Meathead also has a nice tips and tricks for the PBC too which I saved as it's a great reference:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tec...gn=Dec+14+2016+Smoke+Signals&utm_medium=email

I really like Plowboys Yardbird rub. Not sure it would be called Memphis style though. Great job on your first cook. Question: are you related to SSV3 since your screen names are so similar? :wink:

A question for the group: Are any of you familiar with a Phoenix gas grill? There is one coming up at an estate sale this weekend, and I wondered if I should be a player on it. My research says that is similar to a Holland grill, which is an indirect cooker with 1 burner and no temp control, either its on or its off. The Phoenix is a 2 burner with adjustable gas valves. My concern is that you are not cooking over the flames, but are cooking over a pan in between the burners and the grates. They claim this eliminates flare ups. Seems like this would defeat the whole purpose of a gas grill.
I have a Huntington gasser that has been pretty satisfactory (especially for the price ), but I am probably going to have to shell out $$$ for parts before spring. Any thoughts?

A question for the group: Are any of you familiar with a Phoenix gas grill? There is one coming up at an estate sale this weekend, and I wondered if I should be a player on it. My research says that is similar to a Holland grill, which is an indirect cooker with 1 burner and no temp control, either its on or its off. The Phoenix is a 2 burner with adjustable gas valves. My concern is that your are not cooking over the flames, but are cooking on a pan in between the burners and the grates. Seems like this would defeat the whole purpose of a gas grill.
I have a Huntington gasser that I has been pretty satisfactory (especially for the price ), but I am probably going to have to shell out $$$ for parts before spring. Any thoughts?

It is very similar to a Holland ( has better temp control ). I've had both and the upside to those gassers are no flare ups.

I guess my point is, I am not all that concerned with the versatility (smoking, roasting, etc ), but will it cook steaks, chops, chicken breasts, and the like as well as a regular gasser?

Back