I don't think I would say the PBC is more like roasting, but there is a noticeable taste difference from cooking indirect and allowing the meat drippings to hit the coals. I've made a similar setup to what you are explaining and so has Ssv3. I'd say give it a try and see what you think. I bet you'll like both "flavors" but it'll just lead you to want your PBC and another indirect style cooker. You'll find this forum will end up costing you money....lol :becky:
Thanks for your reply Andrew, can I ask because I want that smoky flavour more what amount of wood chunks would I be having to put in with the coals?

i do feel like i get less "smoke" flavor on my pbc vs my WSM mini. i use wood in both. am i the only one that experiences this?

Depending on the size of the chunks you could put 3-5 chunks in the coals. Just spread them around so they dont all burn up at the same time.

Far from a roaster but the flavor is unique due to the drippings landing on the coals and "self basting" the meat. I've used a deflector in the PBC (it's on here somewhere) and you really get the "traditional" bbq flavor due to the elimination of the drippings hitting the coals. I like the PBC out of the box since I have plenty of other smokers that I can turn to for indirect smoking. I find that there is plenty of good smoke flavor supplied by the PBC but I must admit I don't like too smoky of a flavor. Most of the time I don't even use wood chunks for extra smoke flavor (see below).

Suggestions for added smoke flavor:

Use hickory or mesquite chunks if you want a heavier smoke flavor profile. Fruit woods, tend to be light in providing smoke flavor.

Burn straight lump or 75% lump 25% briqs. Lump will give you more smoky flavor and especially mesquite lump. I have used straight lump plenty of times in the PBC without issue but you have to load up coals that are uniform in size for an even burn. I find Royal Oak to be the ideal lump to use with the PBC.

Another observation is that Kingsford Blue/Comp/Professional briqs are light on smoke so you can def use multiple nice sized chunks of wood to compensate the lack of smoky flavor from Kingsford.

I'm not the only one either since a good buddy of mine stopped using Stubbs in his PBC and went with Kingsford because to him the smoke flavor was overwhelming. I, on the other hand like Stubbs and the smoke flavor it provides so anytime I use Stubbs I don't use wood chunks for flavor since Stubbs supplies plenty of nice smoky taste to my liking. I'm thinking the reason behind Stubbs having more smoky flavor profile is because Stubbs is a cleaner briquette consisting of wood chips, starch and vegetable oil IIRC. Same can't be said for Kingsford because I know they use coal, wood chips, lime, nitrite, borax (to separate the briqs from the mold) etc. in their briqs.

Sorry UKSmoker don't know what's available out there but hopefully you get an idea.

i like to typically use local cherry or apple wood since the town i'm in has a lot of orchards for these trees. but lately i picked up some hickory because i wasn't getting much smoke flavor out of the PBC. but even with the hickory, i feel like the smoke isn't as prominent as when using my little WSM with cherry or apple. i've only done around 10 cooks on my PBC thus far in the couple of months that i've had it though. don't get me wrong, i love it. i just want to get a little more smoke flavor in my meat if i can. (i do like a heavy smoke flavor so long as it's not bitter)

i've done most of my cooks with Kingsford Blue, but just did last 2 cooks with Stubbs.

I don't mean to offend BUT (sorry), I think folks confuse the taste of creosote even if it's a light coating with "smoke". It doesn't have to get to the point that it's bitter, but it is still an incomplete burn taste in my opinion.

I just wanna say six things. Of course this thread is so ****ing huge it will be years until someone sees my light. Like Alpha Centari....

One...Brian just sent me a free Barrel House Cooker and I love it. Expect a huge release of videos.

two..... about creosote................................................... the other day my neighbor smoked his stuff on a stick burner. i am making plans to haul the Meat Mama 3000 out of storage (been holed up since 2009). there is a whole lot of "there" in SDARS COMMENT

guess which one i am lying about.

i like to typically use local cherry or apple wood since the town i'm in has a lot of orchards for these trees. but lately i picked up some hickory because i wasn't getting much smoke flavor out of the PBC. but even with the hickory, i feel like the smoke isn't as prominent as when using my little WSM with cherry or apple. i've only done around 10 cooks on my PBC thus far in the couple of months that i've had it though. don't get me wrong, i love it. i just want to get a little more smoke flavor in my meat if i can. (i do like a heavy smoke flavor so long as it's not bitter)

i've done most of my cooks with Kingsford Blue, but just did last 2 cooks with Stubbs.

You could try and run your PBC @ a lower temp

Thanks brother Joe!! :thumb:

Thanks SDAR! I will admit that I like what you're doing with the PBC. Great start. :nod:

Thanks Bob! :mrgreen:

Lloyd,

You had some nice looking butts on the PBC. Honestly. I just like to play with my food and that really is the only secret to it if it's even considered a secret to begin with. I just use my imagination and the rest just follows.

Sako,

I was referring to the quality of the photos, as well as the care that you put into the presentation, the sides and condiments. I have always been a "meat only" kind of cook.

To the group: I was amazed at how quickly the two 10 lb. butts got done on the PBC. That would have easily been around 14 hours on my WSM. I am curious as to why the PBC takes approximately the same amount of time to do ribs as the WSM.

Sorry UKSmoker don't know what's available out there but hopefully you get an idea.

Thanks for your thoughts mate, unfortunately we don't have the same selection, we have pretty much bog standard lump charcoal and heat briquettes, that's it :cry::roll:

I just wanna say six things. Of course this thread is so ****ing huge it will be years until someone sees my light. Like Alpha Centari....

One...Brian just sent me a free Barrel House Cooker and I love it. Expect a huge release of videos.

two..... about creosote................................................... the other day my neighbor smoked his stuff on a stick burner. i am making plans to haul the Meat Mama 3000 out of storage (been holed up since 2009). there is a whole lot of "there" in SDARS COMMENT

Looking forward to the BHC videos. :wink:

Number 4?

One of the neatest things to me about the PBC is the afterburn opportunities. Once your thru with cattle sheep and swine you'll have several hours of perfect temp for meatloaf cupcakes or roasting chopped or whole vegetables Boudin raw or smoked sausage veggie dips etc.

http://www.thepaleosecret.com/2016/08/roasted-cauliflower-soup/

Of course Id have to add purple potatoes and roasted green chile to the soup, but that's just me YMMV

I'm with Adams ... I always try to use my extra cook time on the PBC and I end up with dishes to eat for a week!

As for the smoke issue, physics dictate that if you burn the wood chunks you are, indeed, getting the same amount of smoke, though if you hang your meat the exposure time against the food will be less than if you lay it on a grate. It may also be masked a bit by the flavors introduced by dripping on the coals.

If curious, you could place your meat on the hooks, but begin by laying it on the grate for the initial burn of your wood chunks; then move it to a hanging position and see if the end result changes for you.

I'm with Adams ... I always try to use my extra cook time on the PBC and I end up with dishes to eat for a week!

As for the smoke issue, physics dictate that if you burn the wood chunks you are, indeed, getting the same amount of smoke, though if you hang your meat the exposure time against the food will be less than if you lay it on a grate. It may also be masked a bit by the flavors introduced by dripping on the coals.

If curious, you could place your meat on the hooks, but begin by laying it on the grate for the initial burn of your wood chunks; then move it to a hanging position and see if the end result changes for you.

Interesting experiment for the next chicken cook if you have the hanging grate:
Hook and hang one half chicken as usual and on the grate lay down the other half. Season and prep both the same and then see what differences there are in the final results. Will one finish ahead of the other? Any difference in texture, moistness, smokiness, etc.? Bonus points: submit the half chickens, without telling them which is which, to your family and ask them if they can tell the difference and which method was used on each. Ultimately then which way, hanging or half spatchcocked, produced better results or is there a difference other than the capacity is increased by hanging?

Back