Hey guys - about how many wings or pounds of wings do you think I can do in one batch on the grill grate for the PBC?

Ok, I'll ask!

I'm to the point of frustration with my PBC.

I thought maybe it was the new Weber coals last weekend. The weekend before that, it was pretty cold I think. I used straight KBB the first time and lit and started the burn exactly as the instructions line out. Last time I used the new Weber coals and well, we've been through that.

This time I used about 2/3 KBB and about 1/3 lump thinking that mix should run hotter and more consistent. I even left the lid off for 10 minutes after dumping the chimney to make sure I got a good light. The opening on the bottom is about 3/4 open. I'm at 3700 feet elevation.

I love the flavor this gives my cooks. However, I was sold on it running itself somewhat and doing that hot and fast. That is not happening for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 157
What temp are you targeting SDAR?

Are you unable to hit your target temp or having temp fluctuations during the cook?

Yeah, maybe I cracked it a little too much at one point. Went to over 400. Pork Belly and Beef ribs turned out great though. Just a little more active than I wanted to be while the games were on. LOL. :biggrin1:

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 199
A lot of things can affect it's temperature especially wind. But try cracking your lid like I did in the picture. Also don't worry about a 15-20° temp difference from your target...

I don't think I would say the PBC is more like roasting, but there is a noticeable taste difference from cooking indirect and allowing the meat drippings to hit the coals. I've made a similar setup to what you are explaining and so has Ssv3. I'd say give it a try and see what you think. I bet you'll like both "flavors" but it'll just lead you to want your PBC and another indirect style cooker. You'll find this forum will end up costing you money....lol :becky:

Tried the PBC this weekend with a deflector plate and used briquettes and 4 chunks of cherry. Wow, firstly temps were very stable between 234-251 for 6 hrs which I thought was amazing, I did a rack of ribs and a fatty, sorry no pics but definitely one of the best cooks I have done. A totally different flavour profile which I liked. Thanks Andrew and SSV3 for your input.

Glad you liked the outcome UKSmoker. :thumb: I always use the PBC with a deflector in place to smoke my home cured sausage when I do a fairly small batch. I maintain 170* ish (77*C) consistently doing this. Did a quite a few of them with great success.

cFFz2yol.jpg

7HRZ2IEl.jpg

T480K8Xl.png

ph12Sazl.jpg

Sako,

I was referring to the quality of the photos, as well as the care that you put into the presentation, the sides and condiments. I have always been a "meat only" kind of cook.

I hear you Lloyd! :thumb: I got overwhelmed with "meat only" so now I incorporate bbq into sandwiches, dishes etc. or cooking in general. As for presentation and pics I try to be as thorough as I can. So many times I've gotten frustrated reading a thread and you're left hanging and that's my pet peeve lol

Glad you liked the outcome UKSmoker. :thumb: I always use the PBC with a deflector in place to smoke my home cured sausage when I do a fairly small batch. I maintain 170* ish (77*C) consistently doing this. Did a quite a few of them with great success.

/QUOTE]

Would you describe the deflector please?

cFFz2yol.jpg

7HRZ2IEl.jpg

T480K8Xl.png

ph12Sazl.jpg

Hi mate those sausage look fantastic, I have just begun making my own, these are cumberland sausage, I gotta try smoking them over cherry maybe? This was my first attempt at a fatty, sausage meat, sautéed onions peppers and mushrooms with sweet chilli cream cheese and bacon was my homecured treacle pork belly.

/QUOTE]

I have drilled my PBC and fixed bolts to act as grill grate holders at a couple.of lower positions in the drum. My deflector plate is just a grill grate covered with aluminium foil this sits just above the coal basket.

/QUOTE]

It's my kamado deflector stone. It's just wrapped in foil in the above pic since I don't like it getting greasy and messy.

20130926_184252.jpg

I set the fire depending on what I'm smoking, put a turkey rack upside down on the fire basket to create an even surface for the deflector, then place the deflector on.

07QOrQrh.jpg

Killer looking sausages and fatty. :thumb: Nothing beats homemade. Cherry is awesome and what I use when I have it for a nice color and light smoky flavor.

Hi mate those sausage look fantastic, I have just begun making my own, these are cumberland sausage, I gotta try smoking them over cherry maybe? This was my first attempt at a fatty, sausage meat, sautéed onions peppers and mushrooms with sweet chilli cream cheese and bacon was my homecured treacle pork belly.

Brilliant. Did you have to bend the turkey rack or did it work as is?

It works as is Bob. I just flip it over. Not sure if you can see well but the rack's also got two collapsible legs and when flipped down they match the circumference of the PBC basket perfect and lock in place for a snug fit. Funny thing is the rack had been laying around rusting away and I was going to throw it away but figured it'll be handy for something one day. :grin:

Back