The ribs came out looking good (4.5 hours) and everyone at dinner said they loved them but I didn't really care for them too much. I much prefer pork ribs and I'll probably stick to those from now on. That being said I didn't trim much of the fat and they were pretty fatty so I think the meat didn't get much smoke and very little rub because of the fat layer. But it was fun trying new stuff and I loved the way the PBC cooks so it was definitely worth the experience.

They look great and I'm right there with TealSt, I'm not big on beef ribs either and prefer pork. :peep:

Don't get me wrong, I love beef but beef ribs are just way too rich for me. Had amazing beef ribs made by a TD winning true beef-rib star brethren Silverfinger but I prefer pork still

PAZ2vg3h.jpg

5Je8X49h.jpg

I fought with it due to the cold, rain, ice and frankly the new Weber briquettes. It could have been operator error with the briquettes.

Attachments

• IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 148
It was probably more the weather SDAR. I've used several different types of briquettes as have others (especially 16Adams) and havent noticed any major temp issues with any particular brand.
Whatever happened, you definitely worked through it nicely, that's a great looking brisket!

It was probably more the weather SDAR. I've used several different types of briquettes as have others (especially 16Adams) and havent noticed any major temp issues with any particular brand.
Whatever happened, you definitely worked through it nicely, that's a great looking brisket!

The new Weber "briquettes" are more dense and they are larger. I have one of the smaller PBC chimneys that hold about 40 KBB briquettes. I could only get 28 in there because the Webers are larger.

I can light a full chimney of KBB with one Weber starter cube and have them ashed and ready to go in 20 minutes. I had to use 3 of the Weber starter cubes and they were not ready to go until 35-40 minutes later.

The Weber briquettes didn't seem to take well to the Minion method of dropping them on top either. They only really fired up nearest the inlet hole of the PBC. I rotated the basket 180 degrees after a while and almost lost my fire. The temp in the cooker went all the way down to 220 degrees. I turned it back nearly all the way, cracked the lid and got it back. I still had to rotate the basket during the cook to get the other coals to burn. I started making about 15 degree rotations. It turned out to be a rather "active" cook.

I do wonder if the cold weather and high humidity from the cold rain played a role. The PBC was not getting rained on though. I had it under a covered patio.

My review may sound negative and maybe I just need to set the cooker up differently since the PBC was designed to utilize KBB. With the recommded set up, it really only burned about 90 degrees of the 360 degree circular basket until I decided I was going to have to start rotating the basket. I did get about 3.5 - 4 hours of 300 degree heat on that 90 degree piece of the charcoal pie though.

I don't like to give up after 1 try so I will give it another try. The longer light time with more heat required to get it going is/was kind of a tell tale though in my opinion.

More later.

I didn't realize those briquettes were bigger. That probably did play a part in your issues.
I've also had trouble running a true minion method in the PBC with regular briquettes and the few times I did it my results were similar to yours. I've noticed the coals burn towards the intake.
What I've been doing recently is digging a shallow hole in the coal basket that's off center towards the opposite side from the intake. I dump my lit coals in that. It's kind of an in between way to burn the coals in the PBC. Noah recommends pouring the lit coals over the top of the unlit. While that works, I like having a little better consistent burn pattern. If I dig a shallow hole it is like a half minion that helps create a concentrated fire, and off center towards the back helps the coals farther from the intake burn and the fire moves towards the intake.

Just a method I've liked recently.

Guys,

IMO I think the culprits are the Weber briqs given the facts. Not minion method but with KBB I've had the PBC run fine at 7000' elevation with 15* weather. Temps dipped after I took the ribs and woke up next morning with leftover ashes still burning. I've noticed I get the best burn with KBB or KComp or K professional I think it's called now. Gotta say I mainly use Stubbs but on trips where I take the PBC I usually get Kingsford to have it run smooth. I can work around everything else at home.

They sound like very dense briqs which is not necessarily a bad thing but probably not for the PBC and especially if you're doing minion.

Stupid double post.....my phone pisses me off sometimes. Guess I'll make it worth while. Here's my coal setup that I mentioned. Notice the off center fire.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm fighting high temps. It's windy outside and I think it may be blowing towards the intake. I guess I could turn my PBC around but then it would cook backwards :shocked:

Attachments

• 20170116_141126.jpg
    20170116_141126.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20170116_142240.jpg
    20170116_142240.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 159
Nice Andrew!

I'm home today so I had a small butt and haven't done a butt in possibly two years.

My set up is a basket full, then from the basket I get coals and half fill my chimney, light the chimney and dump it on top of the unlit coals. wait for the dirty smoke to clear until it's transparent.

Threw on a chunk of pecan

UoUWWFFh.jpg

Put the butt on

UzqekKIh.jpg

SDAR- Cashsavers and United both carry various brands of Kingsford that work excellent in the PBC. Lump Briquettes, the various wood infused Kingsford the KComp if still made etc. Other brands I've used with success are Trader Joe's, HEB, and the various brands with ridges.

Often times I will use 75% briquettes 25% lump (swag)
I'm also one of those few who'll admit to using lighter fluid with briquettes. I grew up in the shadows of various refineries, so I don't worry to much about something used by directions and burned off.

Forgot about lump. I usually burn whatever is at hand and have burnt straight lump without issues also.

I'm with Adams on lighted fluid if I don't have the weed burner handy. Shoot I've even started charcoal with paint thinner. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. :becky: It all burns off.

A couple of pictures of my butt cook yesterday. Don't know where the finished product pics went.:confused: After 4 hours I was internal 135, 5 hours to get to 160. Wrapped with apple cider for 2 hours to 190, then rested for one. Pretty tasty!

Last edited:
Ran some errands for about 3 hours now back home and she's chugging along. Took out the rebars to expedite the cooking a little bit because I'm hungry and the pics here aren't helping.

szhkbZ6h.jpg

Cheers dudes!!

1mUl56ah.jpg

Back