THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really love this show. I felt bad for Myron not placing after having to kiss that pig.

We felt bad for the pig :-D

Yup. And right after that is Plowboy's flag. I get a kick out of it every time. I quit pointing them out to The Missus, though......

I haven't stopped yelling "FEAR THE PIG!" every time the logo comes up. I yell, the dog starts barking and we have to pause the show. Then I rewind a bit, the logo comes up, I yell... You get the picture. :rolleyes:

When Johnny dropped the ribs, he should have said we’ll pick these up and set them right where you all can see them until YOUR food is served. When all food is served to the table then you dispose of the dirty food.

My grandfather did this one time when I was a child. A waiter dropped his steak on the floor. And they started to take it away. He said no leave it here. After they brought him a new steak, he then said thank you, please take the dirty steak away. Didn’t understand it at the time but I do now.

Hope they do the show again this year with more teams.

At high temps, the airs moving fast, and the food reaches 140 much faster than when we cook at 230:)

Yep, those Maxey pits move a lot of air. Almost a convection type smoker (I bet Tuffy might make you a killer deal on the one he bought, though)

Dobbie was right on. You gotta get the cooker up to temp before putting your hog on (those water pans can hold a TON of water...we're talking 50+ gallons of liquid...not to mention >150lbs. of cold pig)

BBQpigsmoker01.jpg

I cooked with Paul at this one. Wanted to help him do all 3 meats. It was lots of fun doing the whole hog. Very proud of our results considering it was our 1st whole hog.

I hope to get back to the Pig Jig, it was one of the best,most fun contest I have ever been too.

I was impressed too Gary. Great job. Paul's team is getting better...obviously with help from a good group of people around him.

did anyone else notice when J Trigg was talkinh to the judge about what he put on his ribs he said, butter, brown sugar, honey, and tiger sauce. Is that the tiger sauce that is sold at grocery stores?

did anyone else notice when J Trigg was talkinh to the judge about what he put on his ribs he said, butter, brown sugar, honey, and tiger sauce. Is that the tiger sauce that is sold at grocery stores?
Finally somebody who paid attention. Lotta Bull has their logo on his motorhome. And as commented earlier Johnny really does give up his "secrets" when he teaches his class. You'll need to experiment on how much to use based on the heat of your rubs. Practice grasshopper. And remember a good competition rib means 1 or 2 bites only not eating a slab so expect some less than ideal eating ribs. But great for a super bowl buffet where people may only eat one rib.

Johnny Trigg's class

I will say one thing I've picked up from the show. To those people who say that Johnny does not tell the truth about what he does in his classes. I can attest 100% that there's not one single thing he's done any different.

I also think that for Jamie Geer to get up in front of an audience and advertise Myron's Class speaks volumes for what these types of classes are doing for people. I'm damn sure going to take one.

Double C, greetings from snowy Lubbock. I've looked for info on Johnny's class, and never found it. Can you share some info on it? Thanks
Paperboy98

I am REALLY going to miss this show after next week's season finale. If they do pick it up for a 2nd season, we won't see those shows until this time next year, right?

Yep and Myron said something about using apple juice (normally says it's all about peach wood, peach juice, peach etc.)

Johnny keeps saying he's kept the same recipe for ages (always seems to be using Lawry's on his ribs, too), although as we saw last night...Jamie Geer changed his up and won.

Myron also keeps talking about how he tinkers with his recipe.

IMHO, I think texture and tenderness are the most important things to focus on. Sure, a nice rub and a sauce are great, but I think there are a lot more points to pick up on the texture and tenderness side (I bet Johnnys ribs would be awesome with Kraft sauce and McCormick rub).

i believe so.

i also noticed that myron's pig ,garnish,& serving set up is identical to what he did for m.i.m. a couple of years ago.

That might be why he didn't get a lot of love this episode from the judge. People like to see new things - they get bored if you keep showing them the same thing. Especially in his home contest. Maybe he should stick a pineapple in there or something.

(Why do people put pineapples as decoration in their pits? It just seems... weird.)

That might be why he didn't get a lot of love this episode from the judge. People like to see new things - they get bored if you keep showing them the same thing. Especially in his home contest. Maybe he should stick a pineapple in there or something.

(Why do people put pineapples as decoration in their pits? It just seems... weird.)

It does for southern BBQ. I think those that use them have Hawaiian luaus
on their mind. :lol:

Double C, greetings from snowy Lubbock. I've looked for info on Johnny's class, and never found it. Can you share some info on it? Thanks
Paperboy98

Johnny has been teaming up with Rod Gray for the High Tech and Old School classes. According to Rod, however, Johnny isn't going to be teaching the class this year because of his commitment to BBQ Pitmasters.

I cooked with Paul at this one. Wanted to help him do all 3 meats. It was lots of fun doing the whole hog. Very proud of our results considering it was our 1st whole hog.

I hope to get back to the Pig Jig, it was one of the best,most fun contest I have ever been too.

Nice segment! He was lucky you had an injector handy.

how did jonny keep his ribs on the smoker that long with out them over cooking. im really curious.

He said he had taken them off and let them cool and was unhappy with that cause they had gotten too dark. I was rather curious how he wood have kept them from overcooking other than foil wrapping them and keeping them warm.

Back