Stupid Human BBQ Tricks

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
There is a new BBQ business in the 'burg. Guy retails BBQ and sides out of a kiosk type building. Has a smoker out front that seems to be there more for appearance and burning wood for the smoke to entice customers. He also does catering and sets up for events. I saw his truck and his vending trailer hooked to the back of the truck getting ready to head out on the road. Hooked up to the back of his trailer is a homemade bbq smoker made out of a propane tank with an offset firebox. The amount of smoke coming out of the doors that access the cooking grates indicated they did not seal very well.

There was a fire burning in the firebox and this guy is pulling out on the road! I might have felt a little different about this if this were the middle of winter and there was snow on the ground but we are in the middle of a drought! It is dryer than a popcorn fart round these here parts. We have had several burn bans in the area. Am I being a little bit over concerned about the safety issues involved here?

I called the Missouri Highway Patrol about this and they said there is no statute that prohibits this practice. The patrolman said he agreed with me it was not a good idea to do it, but it was legal. While talking to him, I asked if trailer mounted smokers needed to be licensed and equipped with running and brake lights. He said that since they were deemed as a piece of working equipment such as a trailer mounted air compressor or welder, they do not need to be licensed or light equipped.

So anyone else think that running your smoker down the road with a fire burning in it is a good idea?

Lager,

Juggy

I hear Smitty has done it- but since he's "one of ours" - he gets a pass.

That other fella tho....well...

I do it - but not when it’s really dry and we have burn bans. I have rolled in Cold at a few bashes. The intake on my smoker is not just a slide or pin wheel that you can see the fire thru - it is a long tube that goes under the fire basket and past it a lil bit - in a vertical smoker that drafts well. An ember would have to fall sideways, then make a 180* turn into the pipe Against the draft and then travel 20” or so to fall out on the road.

Last edited:
Hey Smitty, My comments were not directed at you. Sounds likes you have evaluated the possibilities of sparks escaping your smoker and you have made responsible decisions on the possibility of blowing sparks during dry conditions.

The example I posted about had a smoker that had the firebox on the tail end of the smoker. Neither the draft intake of the firebox nor the doors of the smoker in question appeared to seal very good. In this case, the gaps around the doors would have created a forge type induced draft that exited through the intake of the firebox. This would force fed the fire to get bigger and throw a lot of sparks out the draft. It is dry, dry, dry around here.

In most southern and flyover States if there is not a law prohibiting it then it's legal. As for registration that is determined by most States registration laws of which most states have reciprocity. As for equipment required that depends on how the State domicile registers it. So one State may declare it a piece of equipment another may declare it a trailer that can carry a load. Some states laws on equipment come in at actual, registered or gross weight. Then if it's a manufacturer assignment rated carrying capacity that can have an effect. Lighting, safety chains, registration requirements can vary widely from State run DMV"s, Tribal DMV's and the nice ladies at the courthouse who run the show.

Bottom line. What SmittyJonz requires in Texas may or may not be required if he lives in Oklahoma, Colorado, California or New York.

Is a deep hole

The deep hole has a solution in Texas. Weigh it, take a photograph of it and walk into the registration department of the County Tax Assessor Collector office and ask them what's required to tow behind the truck, car, van etc.

Last edited:
Have seen smoking asphalt trailers in transit. What's wrong with BBQ trailers? :mrgreen:

Erik, The asphalt heaters around here use propane or some other type flammable gas to heat the asphalt during transit. The gas fires do not throw sparks like a live fire consisting of charcoal or wood does when they burn. This is especially true when a wood fire is exposed to a higher than normal draft is created by being towed down the road. (And I am illiterate when it comes to interpreting emoticons so I am guessing you were kidding, but I answered you anyway.)

And Mr Adams, I completely understand your sentiments about what may be deemed legal or not described as being illegal for vehicles in one state may not transfer to another state. In my case, my unlicensed smoker never left Missouri so I never had to worry about that issue. However, if I were to visit my aunt in Dallas, I would contact both Oklahoma and Texas authorities on what I needed to do to be legal when traveling and towing. I would also find out if it is legal to bring my own wood for smoking. Some states do prohibit bringing in firewood from another state. We have some restrictions here in Missouri due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestation.

Hot smokers on the road is common here in Southeast Texas. Never heard of any causing fires roadside either.

With so many guys here selling BBQ on the corners, it is not uncommon to see smoking smokers on trailers as they move from one location to the other. Actually most people will not buy BBQ from a guy that does not have any smoke.

If this causes you to worry, then don't move to South Texas,because you might have a nervous breakdown.

Captain, If weather conditions allow it, I see no problem if the smoker is sealed to where sparks being blown out of the unit are non-existent. There is a burn ban in my county right now and the public exhibited fireworks for the 4th may not take place next week if we don't get rain. That is why I voiced my concern.

I understand the sentiment as smoke being your best advertiser for a road side operation. The motto that I live by is I will not venture into a place that calls itself a BBQ restaurant if I do not smell smoke. It is one thing to hold the cooked BBQ and serve it. Even reheat it up and serve it. But if I am not smelling smoke, they are not cooking their products on site and that dog won't hunt for me.

Last edited:
Smitty can have a whole butt cooked by the time he gets from Dallas to here. Not really but it will be 1/3rd of the way done.

Back