THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will say one thing I've picked up from the show. To those people who say that Johnny does not tell the truth about what he does in his classes. I can attest 100% that there's not one single thing he's done any different.

I also think that for Jamie Geer to get up in front of an audience and advertise Myron's Class speaks volumes for what these types of classes are doing for people. I'm damn sure going to take one.

Myrons pits smoke like crazy when he cooks, some of its steam, but the green peach wood also gives off some heavy smoke.. But keep in mind, he cooks HOT and FAST. Less time in the smoke warrents heavier smoke up front. . Look at he size of the fires he builds when hes priming the pits, hes laying down a big arse coal bed that started with green peach and then hes adding logs to a heavy coal bed, and green or not, that gets them burning quickly. At high temps, the airs moving fast, and the food reaches 140 much faster than when we cook at 230.. which means the meat is getting less time in the smoke, so hes laying it down heavy. This BTW is probably the same reason the lighter fluid isnt evident. At those temps, with that big ass fiore, the oils have all burned off.

thats my take.. your mileage may vary. :)

I thought Jamie was a class act...he even gave props to Mixon for his first place ribs...:cool: I'm diggin' his pits too...:p

Slap Yo Daddy just posted on Facebook,

Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ Another great Episode! Only one more to go. Don't miss the Season Finale on Feb 4 as there are more surprise

That's it? Seems like it just started, what is that a total of 7 episodes?

Myrons pits smoke like crazy when he cooks, some of its steam, but the green peach wood also gives off some heavy smoke.. But keep in mind, he cooks HOT and FAST. Less time in the smoke warrents heavier smoke up front. . Look at he size of the fires he builds when hes priming the pits, hes laying down a big arse coal bed that started with green peach and then hes adding logs to a heavy coal bed, and green or not, that gets them burning quickly. At high temps, the airs moving fast, and the food reaches 140 much faster than when we cook at 230.. which means the meat is getting less time in the smoke, so hes laying it down heavy. This BTW is probably the same reason the lighter fluid isnt evident. At those temps, with that big ass fiore, the oils have all burned off.

Well I did see a BBQ throwdown with Bobby Flay and a guy from down south (don't remember his name) And he was grillin hot and fast, beat Flay and his ribs looked darn good. So why low and slow???
So I guess it makes sense if you think about it.
Brisket, thats a different thing.
Thanks for the insite Poob

Well I did see a BBQ throwdown with Bobby Flay and a guy from down south (don't remember his name) And he was grillin hot and fast, beat Flay and his ribs looked darn good. So why low and slow???
So I guess it makes sense if you think about it.
Brisket, thats a different thing.
Thanks for the insite Poob

I saw that episode today. Guy from North Carolina. He said he cooked hot and fast, and that he only does spare ribs, not St. Louis trimmed either, for 20 minutes per side. The judges said they were fall off the bone tender. He had to have boiled them first.

i guess LeAnn needs her boyfriend a 10 year old helping you wont cut it.

I watching the second run tonight. I was dumbfounded by the guy that was using green peach for his smoker and the put lighter fluid on the wood to get it to light. I thought these guys knew what they were doing.

Yeah, I was yelling at the TV when I saw that. Someone needs a fire starting lesson. But I do agree with Poobah that if you get a bed of hot coals going all of that will burn off and the green wood will work in a hot and fast cook. I was just laughing to myself because I know how anal that guy is and he must have been freaking out that things were not keeping on schedule.

Excellent post and you explained hot and fast fire control perfectly. It amazes me on how people say it's wrong because it's not how they do it.

In 2003 a bunch of top cooks and some newbies went to the Klose Factory for a class by USA Smoke. Hot and fast especially brisket. And the big boys that went wanted to learn how they did the brisket. FYI Guy was there and that's when he started BBQ seriously. And that's how the Motley Q Crew came into being. Of course he's too busy with TV to cook anymore. We all went away saying interesting but we'll continue to cook low and slow. Things have changed since then.

i have cooke dwith peach wood also,dry wood leaves a bitter flavor and green wood leaves a smoke flavor.if you use peach use it green

I have enjoyed watching all of the pitmaster shows thus far. Heck it's what got me back into BBQ'ing.

I loved Jamie, he sounds like Myron's comic relief.

BTW, anyone else notice that when Myron has help he seems to do worse in the comps? When it's just him and his wife he gets calls.

Excellent post and you explained hot and fast fire control perfectly. It amazes me on how people say it's wrong because it's not how they do it.

In 2003 a bunch of top cooks and some newbies went to the Klose Factory for a class by USA Smoke. Hot and fast especially brisket. And the big boys that went wanted to learn how they did the brisket. FYI Guy was there and that's when he started BBQ seriously. And that's how the Motley Q Crew came into being. Of course he's too busy with TV to cook anymore. We all went away saying interesting but we'll continue to cook low and slow. Things have changed since then.

I seem to recall somewhere that Mike Mills preferred green Apple wood for his smoke, but don't recall him cooking hot and fast? I think it was the type of cooker they used that caused people to wonder about it.

Back