THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks horse...I will see where that leads to. I am really quite surprised that the digiqII does not have an ethernet connection and cannot be a server (like the stoker), and maybe the stoker is the way to go for me, but if I can get the digiqII to work like I want it, that is the one I would like to get.

yeah I can understand but from what other folks are saying, the ease of use is better on the guru rather than the stoker. I haven't tried the stoker so I can't say. I like the fact that you can control this from your iphone though(albeit via remote control software)

I think unless we find a reliable wireless hub that will work over a good sized area, though walls, we are teathered.

That means the alternative; USB cable with an amplifier so that it can extend over 6'. Damn!

Or USB over Ethernet. My IT tech. son suggeted a data cabling project for the both of us.

yeah I can understand but from what other folks are saying, the ease of use is better on the guru rather than the stoker. I haven't tried the stoker so I can't say. I like the fact that you can control this from your iphone though(albeit via remote control software)

I'm not sure who's saying that the Guru is easier to use than the Stoker, but I would disagree with that for practical use.

Sure, the Stoker is much more capable than the Guru in terms of its ability to serve up a webpage, acquire an ip address from your network, allow external control from ANY web-enabled device, control as many pits (theoretically) and as many food probes as you want, and offer Twitter support, and so it has more menus, choices, and complexity. But once you have the settings on your Stoker doe, you do not need to reset them every time it's turned on.

In fact, when I set up a cook, my Stoker sits in the tupperware container - after connecting the probes to the unit the only button I touch on the unit is the on/off button. Then I walk inside, pull up its webpage on my computer (by entering an ip address in the url of the web browser of any computer or web device), and set the desired pit temperature. That's it - it could not be easier.

The only button I have pressed on my Stoker since the first day I got it is the on/off switch.

If you do not use the computer interface, the Stoker is probably much more difficult to set up using the control unit than is the Guru, since it has a lot more complexity. So, if you plan to use your pit-minder without a computer, sure the Guru is easier to use.

I also control my Stoker from my phone. It does not require any additional software to do this. All you need is a Stoker, a modem connected to a wireless router (i.e. your home network), and an Airport Express/game adaptor/wireless bridge. Initial setup from the box to the internet takes 15-30 minutes.

I think the Stoker is widely misunderstood.

Mark

why don't you just get the new one and give me your old ones<G>?

Would do it but my 2 could have fried in Westport... going to to test them this weekend...went comando at Westport and did pretty good...thank you for your mentorship!!

Heavy rain...replaced 1 and the other farked almost with minutes...had used them in snow etc with no problems...the alarm went off ..Temp 400.. no way...yours were in the same rain no probs...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

mark you are right the stoker is a set and roll unit I have both stoker and guru the stoker is much better for me I run 3 drums with it and its all good try that with the guru and you need 2 lol still good unit just not as good as the stoker now the draw back is john<owner>of stoker is only one man he makes ships and sells his stokers guru have 40+ people to help push that unit just my 2 cents

I'm not sure who's saying that the Guru is easier to use than the Stoker, but I would disagree with that for practical use.

Sure, the Stoker is much more capable than the Guru in terms of its ability to serve up a webpage, acquire an ip address from your network, allow external control from ANY web-enabled device, control as many pits (theoretically) and as many food probes as you want, and offer Twitter support, and so it has more menus, choices, and complexity. But once you have the settings on your Stoker doe, you do not need to reset them every time it's turned on.

In fact, when I set up a cook, my Stoker sits in the tupperware container - after connecting the probes to the unit the only button I touch on the unit is the on/off button. Then I walk inside, pull up its webpage on my computer (by entering an ip address in the url of the web browser of any computer or web device), and set the desired pit temperature. That's it - it could not be easier.

The only button I have pressed on my Stoker since the first day I got it is the on/off switch.

If you do not use the computer interface, the Stoker is probably much more difficult to set up using the control unit than is the Guru, since it has a lot more complexity. So, if you plan to use your pit-minder without a computer, sure the Guru is easier to use.

I also control my Stoker from my phone. It does not require any additional software to do this. All you need is a Stoker, a modem connected to a wireless router (i.e. your home network), and an Airport Express/game adaptor/wireless bridge. Initial setup from the box to the internet takes 15-30 minutes.

I think the Stoker is widely misunderstood.

Mark
Very well put Mark but I was referring more to what I've been hearing on this and other forums regarding the ease of use for the guru vs. the stoker. I'm in the IT field and understand everything that you speak of in your post however most would not be willing to do that. That's all I'm saying. So if you have to set your temps at the unit itself, we both agree that the guru is easier than the stoker.....Then again why would you get the cyber-q for that matter :lol:

I was referring more to what I've been hearing on this and other forums regarding the ease of use for the guru vs. the stoker.

Hi - I realized that, and did not mean to imply that you thought that was the case.

The rumor that the CyberQII is easier to use than the Stoker or that the Stoker is very complicated is one of those internet things that someone who does not have any experience with the product starts, and then gets propagated by others until it becomes an established fact. I just want to dispel this notion before it becomes "well known" misinformation.

You want to see an example of how the reverse is true? Look at that thread over on Huck's Hut where Huck hooks up his CyberQII to his iphone. The Guru is sitting in his desk inside the house, and he required 2 computers and three additional pieces of software to get his iphone controlling the computer to which his Guru is hard-wired. This does not even include a wireless solution from the CyberqII to the 1st computer :confused:.

as someone stated a while back in this thread - it's all in the implementation.

Mark

do you know how much they are going to be and were will we can we buy them?

I just purchased the CyberQ II and setup has gone well so far. Haven't had a chance to start up a fire yet but will this weekend.

I was able to purchase a forty foot USB cable so my Smoker and guru are outside the house and I'm just running a cable from my computer out to the guru.

I tried one of the Sabrient USB to RJ45 adapters that allowed you to use a ethernet patch cord but it was junk, I would not recommed that route. I read lots of bad reviews about the wireless USB hubs and the distances they would allow.

I located a company that makes high quality USB cables and ordered a forty footer from them. www.usbfirewire.com and it is rock solid. Every USB device I've plugged in has worked. No affiliation with this vendor other than being a satisfied customer.

Please update us when you have used it. Just curious how it did.

I've done about seven cooks so far and have been very happy with the control. I have a 18.5 WSM and it does a great job of keeping the temp very close to the set point.

I have gotten a copy of the source code and will be modifying it to fit my personal preferences and for full remote control.

If anyone has suggestions for modifications to the code let me know. The first thing I did was to modify the e-mail format. The one provided by CyberQ had the values for Pit1 and Pit2 intermixed. Pit2 informaiton also showed 100% of the time but since I have only used one pit any information provided about pit 2 was just useless chatter.

So I have all the information for pit one listed together and then conditionally show all the information for pit two only if the pit 2 probe is connected and being used.

I plan to clean up the main screen as well so that if you are using only one pit you aren't distracted by the other information.

I would also like to create the ability to save setting for later recall. I always cook my pork at the same temp so by recalling a file call Pork it will set the pit temp, ramp mode, etc with one recall instead of walking through and setting everything manually each time.

Please share your thoughts/wishes.

I've done about seven cooks so far and have been very happy with the control. I have a 18.5 WSM and it does a great job of keeping the temp very close to the set point.

I have gotten a copy of the source code and will be modifying it to fit my personal preferences and for full remote control.

If anyone has suggestions for modifications to the code let me know. The first thing I did was to modify the e-mail format. The one provided by CyberQ had the values for Pit1 and Pit2 intermixed. Pit2 informaiton also showed 100% of the time but since I have only used one pit any information provided about pit 2 was just useless chatter.

So I have all the information for pit one listed together and then conditionally show all the information for pit two only if the pit 2 probe is connected and being used.

I plan to clean up the main screen as well so that if you are using only one pit you aren't distracted by the other information.

I would also like to create the ability to save setting for later recall. I always cook my pork at the same temp so by recalling a file call Pork it will set the pit temp, ramp mode, etc with one recall instead of walking through and setting everything manually each time.

Please share your thoughts/wishes.

Thanks for the information. Appreciate you digging into it.

Back