Finally taking the plunge into the world of all wood BBQ

I just made the switch this year myself. Between doing 15 racks of ribs for my wife's birthday to a couple competitions now, I can tell you, wood is cheaper. A lot cheaper if you were using Royal Oak or another lump charcoal. We went thru 10 bags of charcoal just for one competition. For the same money I bought a little less then half a cord of cherry wood and cooked the above mentioned plus all my other weekend cooks and still have a few weeks of cooks left.

I bought mine here. Expensive as f$%k, but it was the only place I could get my hands on cherry before my wife's bday. They hooked it up in person, I got probably close to double what they say they give you, so it softened the blow a little bit, but it was still expensive (still cheaper than charcoal).
http://www.jerseyfirewood.com/

Thinking about grabbing some from these guys next. I talked to them on Facebook and they told me their wood is 90% oak.
http://www.giamaresefarm.com/firewood.html

Thank you! Will check those out!

This person is in Perth Amboy/Hopelawn. Was thinking of trying this as he's close to where I live. Army vet, too.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/for/5636206856.html

Congrats! Look forward to seeing what you produce with it.

Worst case, at least you are getting a small / inexpensive stick burner to try out. Not like you are jumping into a $4K unit and then finding out that stick burning really isn't for you. I know some yoyo that did just that. Loser. :mrgreen:

The thought of having something arrive that is leaking badly or is poorly welded or whatever is not a nice one. And I went back and forth a million times on that. But for like $600 all in, I get what I hope to be a heavy duty well constructed unit to my door. I think the Yoder/Meadow Creek route would be closer to $1500 or even a little more considering tax, add ons, and shipping. I am thinking if I like this one maybe I'll upgrade next year (or not!).

Congrats! Look forward to seeing what you produce with it.

Worst case, at least you are getting a small / inexpensive stick burner to try out. Not like you are jumping into a $4K unit and then finding out that stick burning really isn't for you. I know some yoyo that did just that. Loser. :mrgreen:

LOL, Terry are you talking that guy that stares at you when you brush your teeth? :mrgreen:

Congrats! Get what suits you and have at it. Life is too short to not have a little fun playing with a real fire.

Good news/bad news for me.

Good news - 1) I have a delivery date for my Wrangler 2) I was already planning to be home that day 3) I just ordered a wood rack but haven't received it or put it together yet and now have more time 4) I have leads on wood but haven't pulled the trigger yet and now have more time

Bad news - delivery date is after July 3 party we are hosting and July 4 party to which I intend to take some BBQ as my contribution to pot luck.

Despite not having new toy for the weekend, I am happy for the clarity of when it is coming and what tools I'll have on hand this weekend.

Thought I'd share. Now off to meat and wood planning!

no better way of making bbq than Burning Sticks..

Attachments

• First cook weekend! (16).jpg
    First cook weekend! (16).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 87
I grew up using wood in our offset. I didn't even realize anyone used anything other than wood to do BBQ until about six years ago when one of my buddies cooked a brisket on a kettle.

LOL, Terry are you talking that guy that stares at you when you brush your teeth? :mrgreen:

That would be the yoyo I was referencing. Loser. At least he got his act together eventually. :mrgreen:

The thought of having something arrive that is leaking badly or is poorly welded or whatever is not a nice one. And I went back and forth a million times on that. But for like $600 all in, I get what I hope to be a heavy duty well constructed unit to my door. I think the Yoder/Meadow Creek route would be closer to $1500 or even a little more considering tax, add ons, and shipping. I am thinking if I like this one maybe I'll upgrade next year (or not!).

Yeah, there is something to be said about "if you can cook on a POS, it'll be easier when you get a good pit", but if it is too much work, it might turn you off on it. I think you made a good choice of a solid entry level pit that will last you for years, or be a stepping stone to something bigger and better if you like it as much as you hope you will.

Best of luck wood is "real Q". I learn on wood first and honestly my charcoal grilling is not worth a flip because of that. Your smoker just takes more fire management.

I forgot us wood burners have a secret hand shake and hand signs, too. When you finally get it right some pro with fill you in.

ya mean there is other stuff to cook over besides wood ??

14 Then I said, “Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth.”
15 “Very well,” he said, “I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement.” Ezekiel 4:14-15

You will love it! There is a little learning curve like all things, but it is my favorite way to cook que. I just love watching a small fire and embers glowing knowing I'm going to eat good in a bit!

14 Then I said, “Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth.”
15 “Very well,” he said, “I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement.” Ezekiel 4:14-15

Hey,,dont knock the cow dung thing !!

if ya get it from them pure grass fed cows,,,let it dry properly,,,then cook said pure grass fed cow meat over the pure grass fed cow dung ,,the recycling effect doubles the output of the flavor !!

Makes it easier to make COWPIE steak !!! :)

Back