Myrtle Beach contest puts stop payment on checks

If I chose to be a criminal, yeah I'd like those odds.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

:thumb:

Yep, only a fool would bring a knife to a gun fight.

Then you have poor accountants or operating cash balance. A signed payout slip, the original entry, the prize sheet, and the KCBS score sheet are more than sufficient backup for any audit. Cash or check you will have to have a W9 if its over $600. Cash is King and the IRS knows that and GAAP understands that as well.

For starters, you're hardly qualified to pass judgement on the abilities of my accountant or the financial health of my organization. Secondly, it doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to generate another form then track it along with the original entry, 'prize sheet' and the KCBS score sheet when one cancelled check is proof enough.

How about handling things like the Sam's Club contests? I know it would require work (and time=$), but it appears that several competitiors are spending a fair amount of time chasing down funds, paying fees, while still be short earned prize money.
While KCBS gives their all to make contests fair; if they would collect the funds from the organizers, and then send a FEDEX envelope back to the organizers prior to the contest with the award checks the entire problem could be solved. Yeah, sure the FEDEX plane can crash, etc, but at least every paying contestant would know that a good faith effort to get every award paid with guaranteed funds at the event had been made by KCBS. I don't recall an instance where KCBS and the BOD hasn't done the right thing.
I love to hear about the new team going to Anytown, USA and getting two calls and having a great time and being excited about competing again. I hate to read and hear about instances like this that make people considering an amazing hobby reconsider.
Either it is time to vett the organizers better or try a new means of fiscal management at the contest level.

BJ, when it gets to the point that we have to go through KCBS or any other 'clearing house' to stand good on prize money, then it's time to pi$$ on the fire and call in the dogs.

I founded and ran the Kettering Ohio contest for the last five years and I have a $100 bill for any team that got a call at any of my events and did not receive their check when they walked to the stage. I've got another $100 bill for any team that can say the check they receivedwas not worth the paper it was written on.

This whole thing is getting blown out of proportion because of one or two irresponsible organizers. Let's take a look at all of the other events that pay as they promise and stop focusing on one or two negative events.

How about handling things like the Sam's Club contests? I know it would require work (and time=$), but it appears that several competitiors are spending a fair amount of time chasing down funds, paying fees, while still be short earned prize money.
While KCBS gives their all to make contests fair; if they would collect the funds from the organizers, and then send a FEDEX envelope back to the organizers prior to the contest with the award checks the entire problem could be solved. Yeah, sure the FEDEX plane can crash, etc, but at least every paying contestant would know that a good faith effort to get every award paid with guaranteed funds at the event had been made by KCBS. I don't recall an instance where KCBS and the BOD hasn't done the right thing.
I love to hear about the new team going to Anytown, USA and getting two calls and having a great time and being excited about competing again. I hate to read and hear about instances like this that make people considering an amazing hobby reconsider.
Either it is time to vett the organizers better or try a new means of fiscal management at the contest level.

This scenario would require teams to get their entry in early for a competition. Which I am sure organizers would like that very much. However, most teams wait until the last minute to enter a competition which could not happen for this to work properly.

This scenario would require teams to get their entry in early for a competition. Which I am sure organizers would like that very much. However, most teams wait until the last minute to enter a competition which could not happen for this to work properly.

Assuming that the prize money or at least part of it comes from paid entries.

Ok, to make everything better, have a registration deadline for people that want to be paid at the contest and any registraints after said date get a checkin the mail within 30 days. The whole people waiting to scout the contestant list may end too. I personally will always try and register at least 30 days prior to a contest, thus I would expect to be paid in full at the conclusion of the event. If I decided to cook this Saturday I would be hard pressed to expect the organizer to pay me when I didn't register early enough so they could make arrangements.
A majority of contest organizers go out of there way to make things work and helping the few make sure things go off with fewer hitches will make more people happy.
While we can propose solutions, beat up those proposals, but at the end of the day we all
will face similar issues every few months unless somene decides to take action.

Ok, to make everything better, have a registration deadline for people that want to be paid at the contest and any registraints after said date get a checkin the mail within 30 days. The whole people waiting to scout the contestant list may end too. I personally will always try and register at least 30 days prior to a contest, thus I would expect to be paid in full at the conclusion of the event. If I decided to cook this Saturday I would be hard pressed to expect the organizer to pay me when I didn't register early enough so they could make arrangements.
A majority of contest organizers go out of there way to make things work and helping the few make sure things go off with fewer hitches will make more people happy.
While we can propose solutions, beat up those proposals, but at the end of the day we all
will face similar issues every few months unless somene decides to take action.

Once again, why the hell does it have to be so complicated? It's a very simple process; A) a team decides to cook a contest so they submit their entry form along with their entry fee in the form of a check. B) They cook the contest. C) They are given a check in return for any categories they score in.

It's not rocket science!

And it's not broken (except for maybe 10 events out of 300) so don't try to fix it. Deal with the ones that are not playing the way they should.

Not a competitive Q'er (never competed, probably never will, so take it with a grain of salt) but if I was awarded a prize, I would expect to be paid as promised.

As I have written before...there are two separate issues at play here. First, the organizer makes good on the contest checks...regardless. Second, if there are issues between the organizer and a team, then take the traditional, legal route. With the garbage we have been handed thus far as to their reasoning behind this stop payment issue...it is hilarious. I have been told we tore up the ground because our RV got stuck up.....then they change that excuse to....we dumped our RV Black and Grey tanks on the grounds before we left (not true)...BUT.....we all know how the "he said....she said" crap goes. How the KCBS and SBN handles things will speak volumes.....it'll be interesting to see how things play out. I can assure you egos are at play here....

Once again, why the hell does it have to be so complicated? It's a very simple process; A) a team decides to cook a contest so they submit their entry form along with their entry fee in the form of a check. B) They cook the contest. C) They are given a check in return for any categories they score in.

It's not rocket science!

It's not rocket science until you are on the wrong end of the deal, I have and waited 43 days for a check.
It isn't that easy, and knowing first hand how the accounting works for a large Iowa contest there are so many variables that can effect all facets of a contest and having a single standard would work.

It's not rocket science!

With all due respect, I disgree.

I got lucky enough to win some money once and the contest did not give out checks at awards, they sent them at a later date. When I received my check it was $250 short. So I had to call, no answer left a message, no response, waited a day,called again, left another message and an email. And then did get a call back. Was a simple computer error, and they sent out the difference, but I had to wait almost 20 days from my winning to getting the final amount due. I did and still took this contest at its word but there is a deadline to enter, shouldnt there be a deadline for receiving your winnings? Easiest solution in my simple minded opinion is to have a cash payout.

I dont think there is a perfect solution for all situations, but one universal simple process is not always the answer either.

Sounds like you boys are cooking the wrong contests. I've cooked everything from unsanctioned events to Arlie Bragg productions and never been stiffed in ten years. Come on over to Xenia and I'll show you how simple it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you boys are cooking the wrong contests. I've cooked everything from unsanctioned events to Armies Bragg productions and never been stiffed in ten years. Come on over to Xenia and I'll show you how simple it is.

Dont get me wrong I agree that it should be simple, and 98% or more contests have zero winnings issues. I just think that if there is a deadline to enter for accounting and other reasons it is not unreasonable to expect to get your winnings when you win. And if even ONE team at ONE rogue contest has an issue then ALL possible ideas should be up for discussion. If there is some sort of true guarantee then ALMOST everything you said I agree with. ( I aint smart enough for rocket science):becky:

I'm not smart enough for rocket science either but I do know the proper way to conduct business. While I sympathize with everyone who's ever been stiffed at an event, I'll be damned if I'm going to take the heat or conform to unreasonable regulations because of a few slimey carpetbaggers.

We must follow some ridiculous rules and laws everyday at work, school, and in this country because of the actions of others and not of our own. Fair? No, but like the saying goes, life isn't always fair.

Back