THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phishwhisperer

Found some matches.
My first new thread! I just finished restoring my ancient Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill and I thought you folks might like to see the results.

The grill was totally rusted out internally. I disassembled and cleaned everything, sanded, primed, and painted with various gloss levels of high-temp paint, depending upon where each piece went. New parts include ss burners, igniter, ceramic-coated cast-iron grates, aftermarket heavy-gauge ss flavorizer bars, and home-made grease catcher. I refinished the wooden parts by sanding, staining, and applying ten coats of spar varnish.

Total cost was right at $200; I figure I now have me a grill that is better than it was when new.

So far, I have cooked rib steaks and a spatchcocked chicken. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Now, on to the UDS build!

Attachments

• IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 328
Killer restoration - I'm impressed by the amount of effort I know went into this, but the results are worth it!

My parents have a couple of those at their cottage. They don't look that good but its pretty amazing how well they have held up considering how old they are.

Great job! I too am a happy owner of a 20+ year old genesis. Years ago I upgraded (or so I thought at the time) to a SS Jenn Air. That grill couldn't even compare to the flavor of the old Weber. I recently gave away the Jenn Air to make room in the Smokey row line up for the old Weber again. After a little tlc...new wood, grates, flavorizer bars and some cleaning its back in service. So glad I didn't trash that grill years ago!

Great Job! I also have a 20ish year old genesis. I recently booted my new expensive Jenn Air and brought the old Weber back into the Smokey Row line up. It just needed a little tlc...new wood, grates, flavorizer bars, regulator and a cleaning. No other gasser compares to the flavor of that old grill!

looks great! my first gasser was a RED Genesis, lasted a solid 10 years before any real fixing was needed!

I've since retired from gassing, but i fixed it up and gave it to a friend, he's been using it for the past 4 years now...

Very nice job. I have one about that age with the side burner and is still going strong. You have to give Weber credit for building such a sturdy product.

Back