Buying a Gas Grill that lasts

LostArrow

Full Fledged Farker
I've been buying old gas grills, rehabbing them & either keeping them or selling to friends for what I've got in them.
This is a recent source of entertainment , definitely not for profit.
I've gotten a master forge , a charbroil , 2 old weber Genesis ( oldest 17 y/o) , 2 weber Q's & a weber spirit (16 )
I've learned a few things .
A failing firebox is a terminal event! Not worth trying to jury rig burners & manifold!
Frames go bad ( old webers the back of the frame has a design flaw)
All flavorizer bars ( heat shields) eventually fail even SS :shock:
Porcelain coated grates eventually fail although last longer than the heat shield.
In affordable gas grills cast aluminum firebox is the best option.
Stainless body vs. porceloin coated body makes minimal difference.
Weber parts , both factory & aftermarket are easy to find even for 20 year old grills
Aluminum baking pans are useful for making grease pans & a lot cheaper than factory part!
So these recommendations have nothing to do with cooking ability just longevity & ease of repair.
Under $500
Weber Q series , these are so simple to work on almost no parts , cast aluminum body, the grate is the heat shield , the frame is plastic & can be replaced for $80! My new used q320 will be around for my great grandchildren to use !
Weber spirit series & several models of Broil King /Mate run below $500 easy to repair & parts easily available !
$500 - $1000 weber Genesis series ( the porceloin enamel will last as long as the stainless) again Broil King has several models and may offer a little more bang for the buck.
Do NOT buy the various store brands sold at HD, Lowes or Sam's!
There are dozens on Craig list 3-5 years old selling for under $100 & some simply for hall off! The Mastor Forge I got had hidden firebox damage even though only 3 years old!

I recently bought a Charbroil infrared for $40 on CL. When it eventually dies I'll buy another used one. I don't think its worth paying big bucks for them especially since I only use it for steaks and burgers, everything else goes on my RecTec or Lang. Some people just want to upgrade so you can get good ones for cheap.

Eventually I want a Weber Summit. I'm a charcoal guy, but gas is nice from time to time.

I've had my weber geniuses silver for about 17 years. Has the side burner.
I would have a hard time parting with it.

Thanks for sharing! Lots of great info! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing your observations. Also have Q Series webe that will be around for while although I have had to replace the regulator twice in 10 years.

Got a 10 year old (?ish) home cheapo VT casting gasser that I just stared using again when propane prices dropped. Had better days overall and fabbed this or that but the burners are original.

Got a 10 year old (?ish) home cheapo VT casting gasser that I just stared using again when propane prices dropped. Had better days overall and fabbed this or that but the burners are original.
My main gasser was a three burner Vermont Castings grill the Fam bought 10 +years ago.moved to hunt camp his year as the firebox is beginning to fail.still works as a 2 burner gas grill

Bought a Weber Genesis 3000 about 14 years ago, stored outside under a cover. Replaced the flavorizer bars 7 years ago w/ss, only fix I have done. Bought an Akorn 4 years ago, now the only time I use the gasser is for the side burner or seasoning a cast iron pan. Decided to take it to the cabin to replace a POS gasser that was on it's last legs. Taking it apart for transport I noticed that the porcelain grills had a little rust on the edges but are still good for several years. The SS flavorizer bars look almost new.

Wish all my investments held up this well.

Back