Weber Genesis restore project

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
I picked up for $15 a weber genesis propane grill. It's old but a good candidate for a restoration. I want to restore it to new condition or as close to new as possible. The good it was cheap the bad is it needs a few welds done new grates and new flavorizer bars. For $15 though it's not to bad. The seller said he used it last year just fine. The burners themselves look good. It's a silver edition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 223
Some reason won't accept two pics here is the other pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 222
That's a 2000-era Weber Genesis Silver B or C, 'cuz it's got 3 burners.

New flavorizer bars and grills will probably set you back about $80. Unless you throw down for cast iron grates and stainless flavorizers.

It will be simple to restore that cooker functionally. Much much more challenging to restore it cosmetically. I'd fix the guts and cook with it for awhile before you commit to really going to town on it.

seattlepitboss

It's a "B" there's no side burner.
Look for a sticker on the right edge, the
1st 2 numbers will tell you the year.
This grill will last forever covered.

That's a 2000-era Weber Genesis Silver B or C, 'cuz it's got 3 burners.

New flavorizer bars and grills will probably set you back about $80. Unless you throw down for cast iron grates and stainless flavorizers.

It will be simple to restore that cooker functionally. Much much more challenging to restore it cosmetically. I'd fix the guts and cook with it for awhile before you commit to really going to town on it.

seattlepitboss

It just needs to look decent it is going to be a Father's Day gift. My dad's grill is way worse than this already. Function is number one and cosmetic is going to be important. I did not want to get him a charbroil gas grill. I think this weber restored would be good. I was thinking polish the lid up clean the plastics and high temp black grill paint for metal. Nothing to over the top but you know nice looking. My brother was going to do a little welding for me to get some loose metal reattached. It is getting totally broken down for paint and welding. Would have bought him a new genesis but way over budget couple hundred max so yeah new is out of the question. I have two weeks to be done totally. Talk about a project. I think it can be done. I was hoping to give it the best guts possible so yeah any recommendations? I would love to put new cast iron grates in for him. It needs to be durable.

go for the staneles flavor bars and the cast iron grill mine has lasted at least 10 years of heavy use since i rebult it

Had one like it the track the bottom slides on rusted out so I ordered new ones, but the screws had fused and could not be removed. I am in a hostile enviroment on a barrier island though.

Go for the stainless flavorizer bars, the bars are the only thing I've replaced since I bought my Genesis new in 1999. BTW I would much rather get a well restored grille than a new grille for a gift any day.

It's a "B" there's no side burner.
Look for a sticker on the right edge, the
1st 2 numbers will tell you the year.
This grill will last forever covered.

The sticker is too worn to read. I did find it just can not read it.

Ok so far the grill needed paint on the cart, new flavorizer bars, new grates, new gas hose , and a new ignition assembly. Hopefully, can finish getting everything disassembled and painted by tomorrow. The cart just needs put back together it's good to go. Removed the control panel and in the process of removing the ignition so everything can go together quickly when I get all the needed parts.

There's a guy on eBay that sells stainless flavor bars , cheaper and thicker than weber brand

His name is RCPlanebuyer. His flavorizer bars are great. Have bought from him many times and actually deal with him direct now instead of going through Ebay.

Ok so far the grill needed paint on the cart, new flavorizer bars, new grates, new gas hose , and a new ignition assembly. Hopefully, can finish getting everything disassembled and painted by tomorrow. The cart just needs put back together it's good to go. Removed the control panel and in the process of removing the ignition so everything can go together quickly when I get all the needed parts.

Just a quick tip I picked up along the way. An easy shortcut for painting the Weber logo is to just spray paint the whole thing and then lightly sand the paint off the raised areas. If you are having to buy new grates, it's worth the extra dollars to pick up the porcelain coated cast iron ones. Home Depot will probably have the best pricing of any "authorized" retailers.

Just a quick tip I picked up along the way. An easy shortcut for painting the Weber logo is to just spray paint the whole thing and then lightly sand the paint off the raised areas. If you are having to buy new grates, it's worth the extra dollars to pick up the porcelain coated cast iron ones. Home Depot will probably have the best pricing of any "authorized" retailers.

Everything but the lid is getting painted the lid paint is in good shape.

His name is RCPlanebuyer. His flavorizer bars are great. Have bought from him many times and actually deal with him direct now instead of going through Ebay.

Agreed. I think this is the seller I ordered flavorizer bars from. IIRC I paid like $38 for perfect stainless ones last year.

Great timing as I'm picking up one later this week that I was planning to restore and put to good use on those days when I don't feel like lighting the charcoal.

Anyone that knows how to restore the old shine to lid let me know how. It's a bit dull but maybe some sort of polish or something any ideas?

Back