Muffin pan chicken - why?

I was told the same thing when I took the class earlier this year, Mike Lake I believe was the instructor

I'll have to put a call in to Mr. Lake. As I've been through a couple of his classes. Granted as a gofer... But I know of a cook that was also DQ'd in pork because of "sculpting"...

I'll have to put a call in to Mr. Lake. As I've been through a couple of his classes. Granted as a gofer... But I know of a cook that was also DQ'd in pork because of "sculpting"...

Scottie

It has been years since I have seen a DQ for sculpting or marking but when you think about it, any new presentation would be marking right? That is if you know who the team is. No garnish in this world of parsley could be considered marking. Always go on the side of the cook, unless you mold the pork in the form of CS.com I guess you are safe .:) Ice Cream scoops are legal, jello molds are not.

Anyone who knows me knows I write my own script I compete for pure pleasure I make my own rubs,sauces I don't bite off of anybody that's my badge of honor. I just cook to the best of my ability and let the chips fall. BBQ is real personal to me I take it seriously but have great fun to me knowing the real history of BBQ in America I feel I have to rep it. That is why even though competing in about 80 kcbs BBQ contest since june2006
I have yet to win a grand because I do it my way keep working and perfecting an enjoying just as my ancesters done. Peace

Anyone who knows me knows I write my own script I compete for pure pleasure I make my own rubs,sauces I don't bite off of anybody that's my badge of honor. I just cook to the best of my ability and let the chips fall. BBQ is real personal to me I take it seriously but have great fun to me knowing the real history of BBQ in America I feel I have to rep it. That is why even though competing in about 80 kcbs BBQ contest since june2006
I have yet to win a grand because I do it my way keep working and perfecting an enjoying just as my ancesters done. Peace

I can respect that. My only question is, why waste all that money competing if you don't want to cook for the judges? I would just come hang out with some teams and save the cooking for home.

Scottie

It has been years since I have seen a DQ for sculpting or marking but when you think about it, any new presentation would be marking right? That is if you know who the team is. No garnish in this world of parsley could be considered marking. Always go on the side of the cook, unless you mold the pork in the form of CS.com I guess you are safe .:) Ice Cream scoops are legal, jello molds are not.

So what is the difference with a ice cream scoop and a jello mold? I mean, I know the difference. But according to the BOD, what is the difference as you guys are the one's that enforce the rules...

Quau was DQ'd at a contest in 2008 in pork...

So what is the difference with a ice cream scoop and a jello mold? I mean, I know the difference. But according to the BOD, what is the difference as you guys are the one's that enforce the rules...

Quau was DQ'd at a contest in 2008 in pork...

I honestly don't know what the difference is, that was a BOD ruling before I was on the board so I never heard the discussion, only the results as a rep. A jello mold has an actual form where an ice cream scoop makes it round???? YMHO - I have seen small dixie cups used just to make them uniform, no distinct form, not dq'd. I have been a rep where Quau competed and he did the right thing, came to me prior to the turnin and asked if what he was doing was legal. If you push the limit check with the rep first. By the way I was fine with his chicken entry.

Because I do enjoy the challenge I'm a one man team I luv the competition BBQ enviroment at contest. It right up my alley I have met alot of friends competing it is like a my 2nd family.
It would be nice at times to have a partner to cook with but I yet to find any close family or friend who is as dedicated as I am when I need to go I go I can't have any here one day and not the next I can do bad by myself.

Because I do enjoy the challenge I'm a one man team I luv the competition BBQ enviroment at contest. It right up my alley I have met alot of friends competing it is like a my 2nd family.
It would be nice at times to have a partner to cook with but I yet to find any close family or friend who is as dedicated as I am when I need to go I go I can't have any here one day and not the next I can do bad by myself.

I agree Moe. Probably why I do it on my own as well. Granted, I have my girls and mys sister with ibn the summer, but otherwise, I would rather do it on my own, than to count on someone and they let me down.

For sure bud see you guys at the banquet will bring some cigars peace.

Good answer. Glad you enjoy it so much and have the ability to do what you enjoy.

I don't know. It didn't make my turn ins look any better!
OMG! Thank you for that! That crap was premeditated!! You had to plan that one out to pull it off.
BTW - How were the nuggs? :icon_bigsmil

When I saw Myron using the muffin pans, my first thought was why in the hell would you want a round thigh, even if they are uniform?? A small rectangular pan makes way more sense if you're going to try it at all in my worthless opinion.

Here is Jacks Old South chicken scores from July 2009 to end of season. As Myron said on the show a new and/or recent technique that he was doing (which is why I only pulled from 7/09-present). I'll let you be the judge... This info was from the Pickled Pig site. I'll let you all decide.....

Results History for Chicken Category

Date ContestPlace PP Power Ranking Points
11/21/09 Plant City Pig Jam - Plant City, FL 20 of 33
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 50 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 261 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 18 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 17 of 59
08/29/09 Music City BBQ - Nashville, TN 17 of 36
08/15/09 Pigs & Peaches BBQ Contest & Festival - Kennesaw, GA 13 of 42
08/01/09 Dillard Bluegrass & Barbeque Festival - Dillard, GA 20 of 57
07/11/09 SC Festival of Discovery - Greenwood, SC 38 of 58

All talk & no walk.

MM did get 5th at Mesquite, before he DQ'd himself.

lol, alright, mostly talk & rarely walk...

Wasn't bashin' the guy per se, but if you're going to run your mouth about anything, then you'd better be prepared to demonstrate real world results when required, right? Especially if you're going to get in someone else's face for shiggin' an idea that you don't have any intellectual property rights to.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that Myron has accomplished far more that I could ever dream of in competition BBQ, and much respect for that, but how the heck does he do so well in other categories and quite often tank in 1?

My food isn't always right where I want it to be, there are absolutely days where something goes wrong and so you present what you have... but it baffles me that some almost seem to have concluded that XXX category is their weak spot and will remain as such, just as long as YYY category remains their strongest...

Not bashing, I guess I just have too limited of expirence to understand or maybe I'm not seeing the whole pic...

Pretty sure this thread is now completly derailed, I'll shut up now. :biggrin:

You do all realize that this is a huge practical joke that Myron is playing on all the Shiggers out there. Myron is probably laughing his arse off right now over all the folks that are trying to copy something he's probably never done and never would do.

You do all realize that this is a huge practical joke that Myron is playing on all the Shiggers out there. Myron is probably laughing his arse off right now over all the folks that are trying to copy something he's probably never done and never would do.

I had that same thought...

Since a few of you liked my chicken turn in, here is my (Mc) rib turn in.
I created these for a joke on another website.
By the way, the kids ate them and said the real deals tasted much better!

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 218
Back