Muffin pan chicken - why?

Funny how everyone caught that he used muffin pans, but didn't catch that he has admitted to not doing so well in chicken.

I did. Just as I'm not going out to buy Waygu briskets either.. So don't come looking for muffin pans in my camp.

I caught that his chicken didn't do well ... all the chicken turned in looked good, tho. I'm sure I'd be happy eating that stuff.

Regarding the remove-the-skin, scrape-the-fat-off, put-the-skin-back-on method ... and, maybe not even put the skin back on the SAME piece of meat. How is this NOT sculpting? Can a CBJ explain?

I caught that his chicken didn't do well ... all the chicken turned in looked good, tho. I'm sure I'd be happy eating that stuff.

Regarding the remove-the-skin, scrape-the-fat-off, put-the-skin-back-on method ... and, maybe not even put the skin back on the SAME piece of meat. How is this NOT sculpting? Can a CBJ explain?

with that argument, how is it that just trimming the thighs to be uniform ain't sculpting ?

I don't know. It didn't make my turn ins look any better!

seriously funny. Just about spit out my coffee when I saw that

I don't plan on buying Wagyu or doing muffin pan chicken.

I think that meat should still look like meat when it goes into a turn in box.

I did. Just as I'm not going out to buy Waygu briskets either.. So don't come looking for muffin pans in my camp.

No kidding !!!.. I do just fine with $25 briskets.
Same here.

You could ask the same question of those that trim briskets to fit in the box before cooking....

We did molded chicken in 2006 in our first comp ever. We took foil and made tight little ramiken like things and filled them with garlic butter. We took the thighes and put them in skip up after stuffing the bottom of the skin with butter and seasoned the chicken with S&P. We smoked the chicken for two hours and put it in the box and took 6th place with no sauce and no rub. They looked like perfect discs of chicken. We had no idea what we were doing and didn't do another contest for over a year.

In the CBJ class I took recently, one of the turn boxes had "Ice Cream Scoop Pulled Pork." I asked the instructor if that was sculpting, and he said no. He explained a story where creating a perfectly round "doughnut" of meat isn't sculpting, but creating an X is. I give up trying to guess what sculpting is. Yet another reason why I think the presentation category is bunk.

dmp

In the CBJ class I took recently, one of the turn boxes had "Ice Cream Scoop Pulled Pork." I asked the instructor if that was sculpting, and he said no. He explained a story where creating a perfectly round "doughnut" of meat isn't sculpting, but creating an X is. I give up trying to guess what sculpting is. Yet another reason why I think the presentation category is bunk.

dmp

Can I ask who taught that class? That is completely contradictory to what has been taugfht and instructed out on the circuit...

thanks.

Here is Jacks Old South chicken scores from July 2009 to end of season. As Myron said on the show a new and/or recent technique that he was doing (which is why I only pulled from 7/09-present). I'll let you be the judge... This info was from the Pickled Pig site. I'll let you all decide.....

Results History for Chicken Category

Date ContestPlace PP Power Ranking Points
11/21/09 Plant City Pig Jam - Plant City, FL 20 of 33
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 50 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 261 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 18 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 17 of 59
08/29/09 Music City BBQ - Nashville, TN 17 of 36
08/15/09 Pigs & Peaches BBQ Contest & Festival - Kennesaw, GA 13 of 42
08/01/09 Dillard Bluegrass & Barbeque Festival - Dillard, GA 20 of 57
07/11/09 SC Festival of Discovery - Greenwood, SC 38 of 58

Those look like some mediocre scores to me, think I will stick with what I do, at least I wont do any worse.
Dave

Here is Jacks Old South chicken scores from July 2009 to end of season. As Myron said on the show a new and/or recent technique that he was doing. I'll let you be the judge... This info was from the Pickled Pig site. I'll let you all decide.....

Results History for Chicken Category

Date ContestPlace PP Power Ranking Points
11/21/09 Plant City Pig Jam - Plant City, FL 20 of 33
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 50 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 261 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 18 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 17 of 59
08/29/09 Music City BBQ - Nashville, TN 17 of 36
08/15/09 Pigs & Peaches BBQ Contest & Festival - Kennesaw, GA 13 of 42
08/01/09 Dillard Bluegrass & Barbeque Festival - Dillard, GA 20 of 57
07/11/09 SC Festival of Discovery - Greenwood, SC 38 of 58

:lol::lol::lol:...you'd think he was doing top 5 every time by the way he was ranting about having his idea shigged.

Even bad ideas are shigged if it's a good team using it. I'm just glad there's a bunch of people wanting to do that now.

Here is Jacks Old South chicken scores from July 2009 to end of season.

I'd be curious to see what his presentation scores were for those competitions. They aren't broken down on the KCBS sight, and I'm not even sure if individual scores are given to other teams at the event. Since that's what we're discussing though, I think that's most germaine.

dmp

Can I ask who taught that class? That is completely contradictory to what has been taugfht and instructed out on the circuit...

thanks.

I was told the same thing when I took the class earlier this year, Mike Lake I believe was the instructor

Back