RUBS: Why do you do store-bought rather than home made?

Gonna try this on pork & beef. My ancient older brother (3 years older than me) cooks quite a bit top of line Traeger, XL Big Green Egg, Custom Klose that was north of 10G's, same with gas. His favorite way to cook is chicken seasoning on beef --beef seasoning on chicken
Pork can be either one. Any adjustments to seasoning are pretty much salt, pepper and perhaps hot sauce.he probably has the least amount of rubs of anyone I know who cooks frequently. Usually the basics, salt, pepper, Lawry's,lemon pepper garlic salt etc and perhaps 3-5 rubs. Big house but itty-bitty amount of seasonings.
Now he will buy custom spices for kitchen cooks.gumbos, soups, chili, Italian etc. He's one of those that can tell a difference in Spanish vs Mexican oregano, paprikas, etc etc . I didn't inherit that.

ATTST- there are those out there with a palate that can taste the high end differences. Then folks like me that can't. Perhaps personal taste and preference for a certain taste and not a lack of willingness to source your own, grind your own.
I just buy Fiesta brand oregano. Being unable or unwilling is different than not being able to distinguish. Plus I enjoy wide range of commercial offerings

Last edited:
Tried for a few years. Realized I couldn't make better than store bought so gave up. Probably had to do with store bought spices. But, when I looked at prices from Penzy's etc and quantities, decided to end my pursuit.

However, I will say I have spent a small fortune over the years trying many different rubs available. Most are disappointments as they are mainly salt dominated. Saltaholic here, but I like to taste the other ingredients and do not believe salt should obscure those ingredients.

Hi all,

I'm so happy to be back after many years gone from the forum. I've been reading a LOT...even back threads.

One thing that has struck me, and I don't think I saw it nearly as much back in my old days here....but SO many people are saying they're using this or than store bought spice mix as a rub.

Being that rubs, for the most part as "I" understand them...are pretty simple ingredients....and could very readily be constructed, generally at a MUCH lower price per volume yourself.

I mean, the basic of most all of them...salt and black pepper.

And on top of that, most add maybe things from the list of:
chili powder or a single ground chile
garlic powder or granulated garlic
paprika
sugar in some instances

and maybe a few more things....

What I'm getting at is....it really shouldn't be rocket surgery to play with seasonings a few times and come up with what suits you best.

Me? I did start with a couple store bought decades ago...and tasted them and pretty much figured out what they had.
Over the years, I got lazy and I just do the basic same thing on all my beef and pork:

Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Granulated Garlic
Chili Powder

And really, that's about it...I don't measure...I buy bulk spices at Costco/Sams and I just sprinkle each on the meat and then rub it around till mixed and sticky on the meat.

Mind you, I'm not even wanting to attempt to bad mouth anyone that buys store bought....especially if you're wanting to taste and figure out what's in there.

But seeing that most of this is so simple, I'm curious why so many seem to regularly use store bought rubs.....

Thoughts? Comments? Is it too early in the morning for a beer....?

;)

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I´m sticking to my blend.

In parts:
2 Salt
1 Oregano
1 Thyme
1/2 black pepper
1/2 white pepper
1/2 Garlic
1/2 Onion
1/2 Pimentón de la vera (roasted paprika from Spain)

Store rubs are mainly salt, I don´t like that.
And high grade brands don´t sell here.

Back