Most memorable competition moments of 2009...

Congrats on the kiddo Ryan. We had our first right before last season and it made competitions just that much better to have our daughter there. Nothing like going up to accept an award with her in your arms. Again, Congrats!

Too many but heres a few..

George from WATG? getting me out of the house inviting me down to hang out in Green Lane when I was sitting home recovering from my achhiles surgery

Cooking in Troy NY with Hodedo & Muzzlebrake and laughing so much that it hurt

Going down to the Jack with my son

My most memorable comp moment was watching Big Brother Smoke snore through Big Country's "quiet time" escapades!

The winning is fun, but the best stuff is Phil and James and Vinny working like a team. Forgetting to eat until oh...midnight. Maistro De Pollo and his family. Sleeping outside at night on the cot, small bands of people talking, thick smell of smoke in the air...Vinny covered up in his sleeping bag, and James and Phil trying to out do each other in the gas department inside the trailer :)

Comps, what a blast!

Roadtrip with my team-mate John Delpha to take delivery on our Jambo pit

Cooking Rochester Rib Fest with only my son Ethan and taking first in ribs

My favorite weekend of the year, Harpoon

Winning the Mass State Championship after many, many years of getting beat by I Smell Smoke

When they turned around the big check on stage at Jack Daniels and it had my team name on it

AND, Shig TV live from Lynchburg, all my family and friends got to watch the big call

Lots of highlights this year...

Stu and Kosmo and their first GC's, getting to know Cody and Don Cook, hangin' out with Skip, Andy and Todd after the Royal Open("don't you understand angles?!!"), a fatty and biscuits at 5 am at most every comp with my good buddies Don Simpson and Mike Hays, major improvements in my scores, and a life change in careers are all due to comp bbq...

It's been a great ride so far, and I'm looking forward to more...

Last edited:
I guess for me it was seeing my buddy Matt(JellyRoll) get his first GC.Other then that its seeing the friends we have made and visiting with them till all hours of the nite.

The winning is fun, but the best stuff is Phil and James and Vinny working like a team. Forgetting to eat until oh...midnight. Maistro De Pollo and his family. Sleeping outside at night on the cot, small bands of people talking, thick smell of smoke in the air...Vinny covered up in his sleeping bag, and James and Phil trying to out do each other in the gas department inside the trailer :)

Comps, what a blast!

I thought my singing would of made your list

Comps, what a blast!

Yes.. Good times !!!

Don't forget

*Muzzlebrake making fun of your acid washed daisy dukes shorts !!
*Cue's Your Daddy ragging on "Body by Phil"
* Short little me, making futile attempts to to jump up and push the rain pockets out of the canopies at Sayville
*Frank Sacco giving a hug and kiss to the on-site massage therapist at Battle of the Brethren because he felt guilty

A couple of my favorite moments from 2009 happened the week of the Rock 'n Ribs contest in Salt Lake City, UT. Our good friend Jaybird of Otis and The Bird was there too. As many of you know, Jay wife and teammate Monica passed away earlier this year after a long battle with cancer and Jay had been working hard to try all season to figure out how to do by himself what he and Monica had spent the last 8 years doing together. I imagine it was a pretty hard thing to do for many reasons other than the simple logistics.

As a bit of backstory, Jay and Monica had earned a spot at the 2008 Jack but were unable to attend as Monica had taken a bad turn and just couldn't make the trip. Our two teams had spent the entire 2008 season cooking contests against each other and we were really excited about the fact that our team had been drawn and we were going to be able to cook that contest against each other as well. It was a very sad day when Jaybird call to tell us that they weren't going to be able to go. We, of course, understood the reason but it was very sad none the less.

OK, back to the RnR 2009. This was the last weekend for qualifiers for the 2009 Jack and Jaybird was on a mission to win it and get back to Lynchburg. He had been getting closer and closer to putting it all together in recent contests and we all knew it was just a matter of time before he hit but the pressure was on since this was the last chance for the year. Well, strange things happen in barbeque and I believe it was the Tuesday of that week when Jaybird called me up and told me that he had just received a call from Debbie Christian from Jack Daniel's. She had told him that they were aware of Monica's passing and had decided to extend an invitation to him for 2009 since they had been unable to attend in 2008 due to her illness. It was truly an awesome moment and I fell that same excitement right now just writing about it that I felt when Jaybird was telling me the news. It was awesome!

But that's not all. Fast forward to the day of the contest...

We had cooked what we knew was an excellent contest and felt we really had a good chance to win the event. We were set up right next to Jaybird and had enjoyed each others company all weekend long and were again excited about both our teams cooking the Jack this year. As it turned out, the contest didn't have enough teams to be a qualifier so the winner wasn't going to get into the Utah draw. Even so, I recall that about 15 minutes or so before the awards were about to start, I looked over at DivaHerself and said something like, "Ya know, if we were on a pace to win this weekend, I sure wouldn't mind if we ended up as the RGC behind Jaybird as Grand Champion. Considering the events of the week, it would be downright poetic." She agreed and I'll be damned if that isn't just what happened! Jaybird took home the GC and we were thrilled to be in 2nd Place behind him!

Sometimes things just work out the way they're supposed to and the week of the 2009 Rock 'n Ribs in Salt Lake City, Utah was one of those times.

2 times stick out for me the Claremore hail storm. Stu and I holding down the EZ up. And Ponca City, and to think I almost left that comp early. LOL Met a lot of great friends and learned a lot from the host of arse whooping teams in this area. And starting up my new company Kosmo's Q Injections and Marinades.

Back