Most memorable competition moments of 2009...

Wow! Lots of great memories! Here are just a few...

• Standing in the parking lot at Elk Grove Village, IL watching the flood waters from Salt Creek rise and finally fall.
  • Holding down the canopy at Deforest, WI while the rain poured down and lightening hit in the field 100 ft away.
  • Sharing Plowboy's excitement in winning the Butt-to-Butt and Andy winning the Chest-to-Chest
  • Watching Dr. Chucky OD on caffeine after drinking too much Roastin' Ronnie's coffee at Grand Rapids
  • Hearing Dave (Rookie48 ) yell "Fear The Pig" when we were called for first in brisket at Marshalltown, IA
  • All of the new friends that we made with our Friday night margarita runs and the Saturday morning coffee
  • All of the old friends that we were able to hang with all season
  • Taking RGC, first in ribs, first in brisket and the Land of Lincoln Award at Shannon, IL
  • Freezing our butts off at way too many competitions this year :rolleyes:

Getting the privledge of teaming with the Mokan Meatheads and BigMista to represent the Brethren at the Royal in Big Phil's spot. :icon_cool

Meeting all the fine folks that took the time to drop by and say hi at the Royal. This includes making new friends as well as seeing old ones like bbqbull that I hadn't seen in years. :icon_cool

Watching Brethren teams sweep the GC and RGC in both the Open and Invitational at the Royal. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Actually cooking and turning in my first competition entry at Royal this year. It was just sausage, a fatty of course. :wink:

Having to pleasure of hanging with my friend and Brother, BigMista at the Royal. :cool::cool:

It's kind of sad how many people talk about their wins and calls as the most memorable moment. For me having Carol back cooking with me at the U.P. was great. Being able to convinve Tom to cook with me at Nelsonville #2. Winning is great and I got my fair share of calls and money but the people are what's memorable.

I agree, but perhaps because I don't win crap. I fought the storms at Elk Grove, and I'll never forget that. But, my most memorable moment was at Westmont, where I cooked on my new cooker for the first time. Checked the briskets at 5 or 6 in the am, getting ready to foil, and boy were they done. Good advice from Ford and others on what to do, ended up with a 2nd place call. I still think the brisket sucked, but I learned how to salvage.

Sharing a meal with BigDog at Oklahoma Joe's

Giving Jay some mojo before he won best sauce at the Royal.

Hanging out with brethren from around the country at the royal.

Spending the night with Kim and Dammit Andy.

Burning Macoroni in Todd's pot before he won the Royal Invitational.

Cooking w/Bigdog and the Meatheads at the Royal

Winning best team show and 2nd in People's choice at Stagecoach.

And probably this moment...

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/dolson25/Stagecoach/?action=view&current=18ecf4c0.pbr

I cooked one contest this year, and we won brisket, top 10 overall and top 10 chicken, but, the most memorable moment was when was the drunk chick tucked me in at 1:30am. I was asleep, the bars let out, and someone stopped in to kiss my forehead and wish me goodnight.....

Oh, and I can't forget burning my chicken up with a grease fire at Washington, MO and getting called for 10th in chicken.

I don't think I had ever seen the darkside of Plowboys BBQ until that fire. I knew chickens could fly a little bit, but was unaware how far thighs could fly............

I cooked one contest this year, and we won brisket, top 10 overall and top 10 chicken, but, the most memorable moment was when was the drunk chick tucked me in at 1:30am. I was asleep, the bars let out, and someone stopped in to kiss my forehead and wish me goodnight.....

That was me. :wink:

I've always wanted to go stormchasing and see a tornado. You know, a big one over a field that doesn't hit anything. Still want to do that.

What I now know though, is I really don't want to be standing in a big open field, under an EZ-UP with no shelter at a comp while somebody announces that a funnel cloud is heading your way. Pretty helpless feeling. Thats my most memorable event in 09 - Chesapeake, VA - Chesapeake Jubilee comp.

My best wasn't an actual comp, as we decided against it at the last minute... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

I've always wanted to go stormchasing and see a tornado. You know, a big one over a field that doesn't hit anything. Still want to do that.

What I now know though, is I really don't want to be standing in a big open field, under an EZ-UP with no shelter at a comp while somebody announces that a funnel cloud is heading your way. Pretty helpless feeling. Thats my most memorable event in 09 - Chesapeake, VA - Chesapeake Jubilee comp.

did you get nailed

... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

Totally forgot about that Curt. Every year PGBBQ is at the top of my list. I talk about it all year long.

My best wasn't an actual comp, as we decided against it at the last minute... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

That is so awesome! I always love seeing the pictures.

I don't think I had ever seen the darkside of Plowboys BBQ until that fire. I knew chickens could fly a little bit, but was unaware how far thighs could fly............

Reminds me of 2006 at Sedalia, MO. I opened up my foiled ribs and they were falling apart! I opened about the third package like that and turned around and flung the entire slab against a tree! It was about Bubba and Jeff's 3rd or so contest ever and the look on their faces when they saw babybacks flying was funny (in hindsight... it sure wasn't then! :lol: ).

stealing golf carts and the women of Lo n' Slo and PA Midnite Smokers:wink:.Helping out S.I.D.E. in Greenlane. Watching George From WATG? finally win it all in Harrisburg Pa.

It was a fun year!

Oh, yeah. Greenlane was a ton of fun with the drunks, the bonfire and the crawfish boil. Only contest I did this year that it didn't rain, though there was plenty of mud. Thank god for Brian!

I agree, but perhaps because I don't win crap. I fought the storms at Elk Grove, and I'll never forget that. But, my most memorable moment was at Westmont, where I cooked on my new cooker for the first time. Checked the briskets at 5 or 6 in the am, getting ready to foil, and boy were they done. Good advice from Ford and others on what to do, ended up with a 2nd place call. I still think the brisket sucked, but I learned how to salvage.

Pat asking me early in the morning at Westmont "So Dann, have you ever rested brisket 7 hours?"
Me: No Pat, can't say I have
Pat: I'll let you know how it turns out:biggrin::eek::biggrin: (He won brisket!)

Trying (unsuccesfully) to keep our EZ-Up in one piece at Elk Grove, but still managing 5th place ribs in the aftermath

The 9:22 at Milwaukee. That one really sticks with me since the priest did the prayer instead of Reverend Randy

Oh, and nearly asphixiating ourselves at Libertyville by having the generator too close to the trailer:icon_bugeyed:icon_sick:mad:

What continues to be memorable is the great spirit for fraternity we enjoy at every competition. It never ceases to amaze me how fiercely a group of folks can compete, while at the same time cheering their fellow teams on when they hear someone elses name instead of their own

You forgot one Dann :-D

1001048f.jpg

Looong, but please read to end. There is a surprise!

Wow, where do I start? I feel this whole year has been a series of memorable moments.

Cooking the Big Green Egg Scramble at the BarbeQlossal. That was one of the more scary things I have done, and I ended up having a ton of fun with my Dad as sous-chef.

Watching "Smokin' Joe" Beland win his first GC with what seemed like the entire town of St. Ansgar there, all sporting their patented white t-shirts, go up on stage to share the moment with him.

Almost losing our brisket due to frigid 40 mph winds picking up and destroying our canopy, and then getting 2nd in brisket the next day.

Midnight pork loin in Waterloo with the Tippy Canoe, Smokehouse 72, and Boondoggle boys, all the while Joe's bro-in-law is packin' heat cuz we were in "the hood".

Having my first official 9:22 am Jack shot in Waterloo, and Clone comes up to the group and says "Ahh chit! Big T'z is here?!?"

Good conversation and a picture with Rodney and Trigg prior to awards in LaPorte City.

The infamous "Chicken Gravy" discussion at the 4-mile camp in Marshalltown.

Witnessing Smokehouse 72 get two first place Pork calls this year after listening to Ray $%tch about it all year. ;-)

The E N T I R E competition in Windsor MO. Those who have heard the story know what i am talking about, but just know that farking dog will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life!

Both Friday and Saturday nights in Nevada (from what I remember). Friday night watching Smokehouse Bob do a slam dunk while the rest of us slam dunked shots of Templeton Rye courtesy of The Woodfellas. Saturday night watching Kenna Jo get tipsy and partying after, as Clone said it, "Getting our asses waxed".

Driving the camper for the first time to Omaha and failing at trying to park the darn thing. Thanks Spanky for parking it for me!

Serving samples of pork loin by myself at the People's Choice competition, and having Plowboy come up, grab a bite, and tell me it was delicious.

Watching Todd and Randy and Bob and Don take home Royal Gold, and tiredly celebrating with the Boondoggle boys and Iowa Regional Brethren Sunday night.

Being next to and getting to know the British BBQ Society Team during the Royal.

Watching my mother-in-law, who has never drank whiskey in her life and barely drinks, take a celebratory shot of clone-sickle after we got 12th place at the Royal Invitational. LMAO!

Having the complete and utter surprise of winning my first GC at the 2009 Great Pork BarbeQlossal. Hearing my name called and watching everyone stand up and cheer me on was a moment I will never forget as long as I live. I understand Ford's point, but it was in my hometown, I grew up less than a mile away, and I had a great number of family and friends there to share it with. It was one of those moments where for a few fleeting seconds everything comes together and seems just perfect.

Finally, and most importantly as I have an announcement to make, was cooking Libertyville IL, our last competition of the season.

For the first time it was just Sonya and I cooking and it was our longest trip to date. We were told to park the camper in the middle of a very large puddle of mud. We forgot to bring rubber boots, so Sonya had to go find some whilst I prepped the meat and got us settled in. After getting the boots on putting a gigantic tarp over the mud puddle everything went smoothly. At one point the Blackhawks mascot assisted me in putting on my briskets.

Later in the evening had a great time having good conversation with Ron and his wife and then having a cigar and a "few" drinks with Smokin' Joe and his siblings, the Brew-B-Q guys and Scottie.

Well and then we won the thing which was a great way to end the season, but that and all the things above were secondary to a moment that Sonya and I wouldn't even be aware of for another week. And that was the fact that unbeknownst to us it wasn't just the two of us cooking there that weekend, there was another, albeit much smaller, Cru member there with us.

That is right, if you haven't figured it out yet, while we were there, Sonya was pregnant, about three weeks pregnant to be exact.:-D:-D:-D:-D

The baby (our first) is due late June, and we could not be more excited and happy. :-D

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, by making this announcement here, but because of this Libertyville 2009 will be a very memorable competition indeed.

Whew, I finally got the go ahead from the wifey to make that announcement on here. It has been so hard to keep it mum, as from the moment I knew I wanted to share it with the Brethren.

Overall, bbq competitions in 2009 have been a conduit for me to spend more time with family and friends than I have in a very long time, if ever. It has also been a conduit through which I have met some amazing people, many of whom I can now call friends. While there are not "moments" of this per se, this has been the aspect of this year that is so memorable to me. I look forward to continuing more of the same next year!:-D

Last edited:
:biggrin: No, didn't forget Ron

It was only 3rd place. It's just the field of teams that day made 3rd place seem like rarified air! To us anyway

The baby (our first) is due late June, and we could not be more excited and happy. :-D

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, by making this announcement here, but because of this Libertyville 2009 will be a very memorable competition indeed.

Nice... Glad you weren't over with us until the wee hours of the morning sipping high end rum... :rolleyes:

Congrats Ryan.

Scottie

Back