Most memorable competition moments of 2009...

I dont know what road you were on, maybe you need a new car .. lol

Here are my Top 3:

1. Taking first place in Brisket at the Jack
2. Winning Hudson Valley Ribfest. It was the first Grand Championship and State Championship for us all. And we did it together. As a result, we were lucky enough to get the NY State Home State Draw for the Jack.
3. Organizing a contest, and hosting a Great Field of Competitors

It was quite a year. We started out by forming a new team, and hitting the road. The road was not always smooth or kind, and we pressed on through the triumphs and challenges. We learned a lot along the way, and were fortunate to spend time with old and new friends. Hard to believe it went by so fast.

Lets see!?.. I would first need to say the formation of our team Smokehouse 72, from then on it goes like this.

- Seeing Rick (Cookie) get his first ever 1st place call on his 50th birthday in M'town.
- Getting Reserve GC in the Northern Missouri Championship
- Seeing Big T'z get his first GC and becoming good friend with them.
- Plowboys and Boondoggle getting their GC's at the Royal
- going to our first Royal

My favorite memories of 2009 was getting our very first RGC and GC in KCBS competition. It was an interesting 22 Days. Dan Hixon of 3-Eyz and I combined forces to get ready for DegaQue. Started with Que by the Sea, NJ, we took RGC (missed by .0002), 5 days later took the GC at Front Royal, VA, then followed that up with a GC at Smoketoberfest, Chambersburg, PA, while Dan takes RGC at Dover the same weekend.

Ended the season with a 7th overall at DegaQue. I have met more great people and consider them all as my friends and extended family. Looking forward to the upcoming season, would like to start Jan/Feb, but nothing up this way. Cold weather cookin is not a problem, its like golf, anyone can play in the fairway, but it takes some skill to play in the rough!

We had a great year of travelling. It was the most traveling in one year we have done and we plan on doing even more so this year.
Highlights for me from the year
Flying into Arkansas- Holy cow coldest I have been to in a long time. Glad to see friends. Getting a 19th call in chicken and being proud of it due to the level of competitors there.
Flying out to Saskatoon Saskatchewan (doing the comp solo) getting RGC and 1st in Pork 1st in anything Butt
Flying out to Calgary Alberta and in the heart of Beef country getting a 1st in Brisket
THe trip to Virginia was so special for us having the girls with us. Getting a 180 in anything Butt and then coming in 4th overall going up against some incredibly talented teams was great.
Getting another 180 in dessert at Oinktoberfest was really fun.
Travelling to Hudson Valley and taking a 1st in Pork was awesome. Andy. You rock. Thanks for the help. I will never forget it ever.
A favorite comp moment would have been winning the GC at the Southern Canadian BBQ Championships taking a 1st in pork again and a 1st in anything butt was beyond special as it gave me an Invite to the 2010 American Royal.. A dream for sure. Those are the special awards moments. I love to win. I am proud of the fact we are now ranked 241 out of 4700+ competitors on the pickled pig forums. Not bad for a Canadian team who only did 7 comps that counted towards that. We made great strides this year in improving and will continue to do so.
Truly though the moments that I cherish are all about the friends.
Driving down last minute to the Jack to see and cheer for our friends was priceless. I am so glad we did. Sitting there afterwards with the Twyfords and Smokey D's was great. Hanging out in Texas with Joey, Chris, Kelly, Dave, Rod, Amy Tommy, and so many more. Seeing my kids enjoying competitions was heartwarming. Additionally the way all of the competitors treated Lexi Ella and Gabe was incredible. They are beloved of you all. It was the true congratulations I received from friends when we did well and the encouragement and sincere feedback I received when we tanked something. It was the 2 am chats with friends and the early morning coffee chats. It was people like IQue, Smoke on Wheels and them Ohio City boys and many others who saved my ass on various occasions by giving me parsley when mine turned bad, or when I forgot my rub at home. Eating cevappacci made by a great guy heere was a highlight too! It was the parsley party with Kim and the talks with Gail. It was seeing Eric and Grace at his birthday, it was seeing Kelly and Roni and their amazing kids. Talking with Tuffy,Tommy and David and being mentored. It was seeing a young man Raymod Cato Jr take a prize at the best of the best kids Q. It was hanging out with teams from the Western provinces of Canada and knowing they were friends for life. It was the surprise calls to say hi and the emails that made me smile. It was being so proud of friends Giggling Pigs and Good Smoke BBQ for both taking the plunge and doing a fantastic job organizing their own comps.
It is being Canadian in an American field of BBQ experts, legends and legends in the making, and being welcomed sincerely wherever we went.
I could write so much more and mention so many more moments and friends. I know I am leaving so many more people out. Thats just the way it is. So many friends so little time. Competition BBQ is unlike anything out there. IT is better than anything out there.

I hate to even post in this thread filled with BBQ icons & champions, but I am proud of my singular accomplishment.

after years of being a legend in my own mind (and in my own backyard), I entered my first comp. ever this year.

I entered a field of 20 or so in the backyard division, and had no idea what i was getting into.
With my 13 year old son, two neighbors (who had even less of a clue than my son & i did), and very little idea of what the heck i was doing. I managed my first call & first walk, when we won 3rd place chicken in the Atlanta BBQ festival

After finding out later 1st & 2nd place was taken by professional Q'rs (they both were catering companies) i felt even more proud or our win.

Or course now i am hooked, and plan several more backyard events in 2010, and working towards the goal of forming a "real team" in the future.

I would have to say, in my very first contest at the Madison Ribberfest backyard (43 teams) I took a first place walk in brisket, the butt kickin that DaleP's son put on me at the rib and chicken contest, and my Back to back walks in my hometown rib (2) and chicken (1).

TWO FIRSTS AT A COMP - RGC - GC - GC (DOVER DOWNS) all four in a row. Also our first place call for Ribs at Salisbury MD. First comp of the year.

Being able to swing the trip to compete in the American Royal Invitational and feeling the true love of the Brethren when I had to put everything together after arriving with nothing.

Julie and Skip for letting me send a box down with them in their trailer, TheSlabs and Plowboy making sure I had rubs and sauce, Smokehouse72 for the kind use of their WSMs, Butchers for the injection hookup, Dammit Andy and Jorge for advice on buying meat, and, most of all, Dr. BBQ for letting me use his space and various equipment. Beyond cooking against all those fine folks, getting to meet so many new people (plus watch Todd win the Invitational) and relax and enjoy the Open was a once in a lifetime thrill for me, my brother and my dad.

Two big things for me. Number one was getting my first ever call. First place in Pork in Maine, which was my second BBQ contest ever. Also having my parents join the team at the Harvard competition was great.

We only got to do one comp this year in College Grove, TN. Finished 19 or 29, but got our first trophy for 4th in Pork and 6th in chicken. Hope to do twn next year. Finally have some sponsorship to help offset the costs.

Draggin' my 20' camper to Williepallooza (down the parkway and through Brooklyn) all while on the phone with Sled*Star getting directions,

Competing and not coming in DAL in ribs at RocCity Ribfest ,

Meeting all the great people on the road and having a beer/shot/? with the teams, (you guys!) and still remembering what happened.

Pulling all the compeditors out of the mud at Greenlane, PA and New Holland, PA only to have my trailer fall off outside town...

All the great locations and comp ideas that has given me the idea to put on my own comp next year.

Getting 2 DAL in pork and then closing the season with a 6th place pork call at Lambs Farm in IL. I had to leave the contest before the awards to fly to Washington DC for work and missed the walk. Thanks to everyone that gave me suggetions on Pork.

Cooking in a parking lot that became an Island in Elk Grove IL.

Meeting Todd of Plowboys on thursday night at the Shannon IL contest and then getting him mixed up with another guy at the cooks meeting Friday night and he was two people away, that was embarrissing but I had been drinking all day. Then watching him win the Butt to Butt.

Finishing 13th, I think, at a first year contest with 15 teams and having a 4 hour drive home to think about it.

It's kind of sad how many people talk about their wins and calls as the most memorable moment. For me having Carol back cooking with me at the U.P. was great. Being able to convinve Tom to cook with me at Nelsonville #2. Winning is great and I got my fair share of calls and money but the people are what's memorable.

First year competing in KCBS. Our first thrill was having TelTru sign on as a sponsor and hook our team members up with therms.

And what a comp our first one was, Roc City in our backyard, great venue, great organizers and with the exception of getting our butts kicked by just about everyone a great time.

Second ever comp was Boston Hills, had the privilege of setting up right next to The Giggler. Learned about the circuit from a seasoned pro, shared some baked goods and then got handed our 1st trophy by the Giggler with a 7th in chicken.

On to Troy where we actually had a decent effort in the People's Choice, hung with the guys from Good Smoke and got a chicken trimming lesson from The Giggler (many thanks to Mike for improving our Q). The chicken finished 27th there but my first foray into burnt ends resulted in 8th place brisket and we cracked the top 15 overall.

Can't wait until 2010.

Getting to go on stage at Memphis In May for belatted Hot Wings Championship.
Thanks
Mike

stealing golf carts and the women of Lo n' Slo and PA Midnite Smokers:wink:.Helping out S.I.D.E. in Greenlane. Watching George From WATG? finally win it all in Harrisburg Pa.

It was a fun year!

I guess since I started this thread I should at least mention my memorable moments...

Having my Wife and Daughter at almost every comp we did this year, it's amazing how even when I don't do as good as I would like, one smile from my Daughter puts it all in perspective!

Watching my close friend Darian of Kosmo's Q win his first GC at Ponca City and also win a new FEC as part of the prize.

I may not have been there to see another close friend of mine Stu of Stu's Q win his first GC in Claremore, but just hearing about it made my day!

It really wasn't a comp, but the Midwest Brethren Bash has to be a huge highlight for me this year. Getting to meet soooo many of the brethren from the Midwest area was a great experience.

I would also like to thank Scot of Little Pig Town and Jeff Hughes for all their positive comments and support. It was their motivation that got me involved and gave me the drive to compete and stick with it!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only compete once a year.

Getting to see so many of the Brethren at a comp means a lot to me. It was especially nice to meet Walt and Theresa.

One highlight this year was making my brisket turn in with 3 seconds left on the clock, my good friend and assistant Derek chanting "We have to go, we have to go, we have to go!" and getting a call on it (7th, but it was a call!).

But just like last year, the biggest thrill for me was the rousing cheer I received from all of the Brethren and Sistren when I did get the call. There is a palpable sincerity when the folks from this forum cheer you, and it is evident on their faces that they are truly happy for you.

I cooked for an Operation BBQ with Pat, Rookie 48 and Spanky and the Meat Mafia. It was a lot of fun and I really got to know those guys and their families a lot better. Really a great bunch of guys and it made us all feel good when the whole thing was over. Thanks also to Roo and Bride of Roo for their efforts.

I took 7th place ribs at a one day competition in West Des Moines, but no call (only called top five). At that same comp, made a good friend in Pork County BBQ. We later connected and cooked together at Mason City. Really nice guy and crew.

The other one was cooking my only contest, Nevada, IA and doing almost the whole thing myself. I had a buddy come up at 10:30 on Saturday to help with box prep, turn-ins and clean up, but the rest was all me. I even managed to do pretty well in a good field of competitors.

Looking forward to next year and cooking even more.

Back