Mini WSM worth it?

Definitely worth building! While I don't use mine a lot, I love that I have it, and it is GREAT for travel as it doubles as a grill or smoker. I've done some reverse-sear hot wings on mine which were out of this world. Smoke them for a while indirectly, then simply remove thew tamale pot and place rack directly over coals i.e. standard grill setup. That's one thing that's really cool about these things is you can literally go from smoking to grilling on the fly, and there's plenty of room for two racks in there. Plus adding coals is easy and you don't lose much heat from the tamale pot if you do it quickly. The only drawback I've found is wind will kill your temps, especially in the winter so you may need a three sided wind block in these conditions. This is only a minor issue though.
Go for it, you will be glad you did.

I have a 10" & 12" clay pot base. I use the 10" for stable higher temps and the 12" will help keep the lower temps. Once you build it, play with it and find your own comfort zone. You will not regret having one, I am considering building my second one and leaving it in the RV.

I have a 10" & 12" clay pot base. I use the 10" for stable higher temps and the 12" will help keep the lower temps. Once you build it, play with it and find your own comfort zone. You will not regret having one, I am considering building my second one and leaving it in the RV.

But does the 10 inch work well for low and slow as well?

Also- I read some places that the 12" clay saucer doesn't work b/c of the fact that the clay takes more fuel to heat up and keep warm, and other places said that the reason is b/c it is too big (and 10 inches works better). Anyone know which is the case?

Last edited:
Has anyone used their mini without a diffuser? Or would that present a problem with the coals being too close? I would think it'll be fine for certain types of cooks.

Has anyone used their mini without a diffuser? Or would that present a problem with the coals being too close? I would think it'll be fine for certain types of cooks.

I use the top grate regularly w/out a diffuser. It's sort of a semi-indirect cook. It's great for stuff like chicken, moinks, ABTs.

You are only limited by your imagination with a Mini WSM. I use a diffuser when smoking raw sausages. I place a foil wrapped pan on the bottom shelf and sausages, abts etc on top grate above. Steamy, oveny smokey--- dang now I'm hungry. Bye

Back