WSM CL Find

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
It's my lucky day! I found a 18" Weber Smokey Mountain on Craigslist for TWENTY FIVE dollars! The bullet is at least 20 years old as it had wooden handles that are weather worn and I will be replacing with walnut. The porcelain is faded, but who cares. There is no fire ring, but I have diamond steel grate I can use to make another fire ring as I have done this before for one of the three bullets I already have. The door needs a little bending and repair and the base and midsection are in good shape. The lid has a thermometer installed and I have not checked it out to see if it is working or accurate. The water pan is in better shape than the one I am using and the three grates need a good rust cleaning.

All in all, for sitting outside for twenty years, it is in good shape. I really don't need a fourth WSM as I have never had all three of mine fired up at the same time. I have had two fired up at once but not three. I thought about selling it once I get it cleaned up and have made a fire ring, but I think I will do this instead.

I am going to use this bullet for parts. I have priced replacement parts for my WSMs recently and they have almost doubled in price in the last five years. A fire ring costs 60 bucks, grills are about $25.00. Weber doesn't list a base, midsection or lids on their site. I replaced two of my bases six years ago and they were 50 a pop from Weber. I was able to locate a site that sells the 18" lids and they go for $160.00. The one source I did find for the midsection and base wanted over 200 for each.

Looks like my brother will be getting a lid for his birthday. He lost the lid to one of his bullets several years ago. He priced a replacement lid after that loss happened and he said he was not going to spend more money for the lid than he paid for the entire WSM.

As for me, I will keep the base for a spare as well as the grates. I am going to use that midsection on one of my bullets by stacking it on top of another mid-section so I can hang ribs and other assorted meats. I cooked a couple batches of sliced bacon using the double stack method and hanging the individual slices from the top cooking grate. I was happy with the results. I will save that report for another post and this post has gone on long enough. To those of you have made to the end of this long post, thank you.

Oh happy day!

Juggy D Beerman

You can hang ribs in a normal 18 WSM. But you can hang Lots O' ribs and pork butts in a double stacked one. Good Find!

Yeah Mike, I prefer a little more distance from the coals and the meat. A full untrimmed slab of spares is too close to the fire when using just the single midsection, for my liking. Now here is something I also have stumbled onto:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-6469-Original-Roast-Holder/dp/B005LR6Z56

The handled ends measure 17.5 inches apart. If you turn the rack as pictured in the link upside down, the rack will sit right on top of two of the four brackets that are used to hold the top cooking grate. I installed two one inch L brackets 8.5" on the right side of each of the two already installed brackets that make contact with the rack. (I hope you can understand what I am saying because I am not sure if I am saying this correctly. LOL) This allows all four corners of the rack to be held in place even with where the top cooking grate would sit. The upside down rib/roast rack can be used a hanging apparatus that will hold up to six slabs of ribs. I can't wait to try this out!

Funny thing is, the recently purchased rack cost more than the used WSM I purchased today.

Back