Mini WSM upgrade?

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
tom
One of my SIL's loves the mini I built him. So much so, I've made a few different grate mods etc for him at his request.
He stuffs 3 chickens in his regularly. 2 is just simple to him.
Anyway, his birthday is coming up. I had a thought to make it easier for him to smoke more of his deer meat/jerky. Jerky of any kind actually.
I already made him a meat hanging grate, but it won't work as nice as this I don't believe.
Took a new Weber 14" cooking grate. Welded 1/4 rod across 2 sides, underneath and to the cross grate bars. If that makes sense.
Cut out the middle. Believe me this grate is probably stronger than the original grate.
I found some old 1/2" wooden dowel rod just to try a dry fit. I'll be buying some 1/2" hard wood dowel rod for actual use.
The 1/2" dowel rod fits nice between the original grate rods. Won't roll on you. Are large enough to were even with my bad hands with gloves on can pick them up...(with no weight yet). Plenty strong enough to hang most anything you want. Either straight over the rods, with string or hanging "S" hooks.
With a 1/2" gap between each 1/2" rod. This should easily fit 7-8 wooden rods. To hang stuff from. That is quite a bit for this small space.
(I'm going to have to make one for myself for my mini!)
I believe this would work great on a 18" mini or real 18" WSM also.
Pretty cheap mod that should increase low smoking capacity.

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Back