Grill Consolidation

cashmonee

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Gerald
Hey everyone! I am new user, but have been lurking for years here and there but now have a question that I think you all could help out with.

I am thinking of consolidating my grills down to just two. I currently have 4 different Webers. A Smokey Mountain, Performer, 22" kettle, and Genesis Silver B. Obviously I am a fan of Weber and with that in mind, I am thinking of going with a Summit Charcoal and keeping the Genesis. I have read/watched lots of reviews and owners opinions and I have not really seen a negative take on them. It does seem like the perfect cooker for me to consolidate to. Am I crazy?

Some context. I don't use the kettle often. Most of my grilling is done with the Performer, WSM, or Genesis. I don't long for more grill space really, although a little more would be nice. I generally cook steaks, chicken (whole or parts), tri-tip, and pork butt. I am not really that concerned about the cost of WSCG, but also don't want to simply spend money to spend.

TL;DR: Would you replace a Performer, 22" Kettle, and WSM with a Weber Summit Charcoal?

Me? I wouldn't but I'm a cheap bastid (ok - more like a brokeazz bastid) I'd call that a wealth of cookers but if you don't use them...

If I had to get rid of one, It'd be the kettle. I've always had a hankering for a Performer- just never happened. The WSM,-being a smoker- would not be voted off my island.

The Summit seems very versatile - if you just had to clean house, I could see you replacing other 3 Webers you have.

Keep the Kettle. If you ever want to get into pellet poopers, there is a pellet attachment for the Kettle by some company. Its called Spider 22.

There may be other companys making an attachment for the Kettle as well. I haven't done much research on them since i seen the kickstarter.

Me? I wouldn't but I'm a cheap bastid (ok - more like a brokeazz bastid) I'd call that a wealth of cookers but if you don't use them...

If I had to get rid of one, It'd be the kettle. I've always had a hankering for a Performer- just never happened. The WSM,-being a smoker- would not be voted off my island.

The Summit seems very versatile - if you just had to clean house, I could see you replacing other 3 Webers you have.

To be clear. I love all of my cookers. In fact, getting rid of the Performer would be kind of tough because it is what really got me into outdoor cooking. And I do not have a mandate to get rid of anything. Part of this is definitely wanting the shiny new thing, and then also just having two cookers to maintain sounds appealing as opposed to 4.

Keep the WSM, it's a great smoker and you could use it as a charcoal grill. I love the kettle with my vortex...thinking more about it why downsize at all?

Keep the WSM, it's a great smoker and you could use it as a charcoal grill. I love the kettle with my vortex...thinking more about it why downsize at all?

Ha! Good question! For me it just seems like it would be nice to get down to one or two. Less to clean, more room on my grilling patio. It bothers me a little that my kettle is never used and my gasser is mostly for burgers. If I have just the WSCG and maybe the gasser then I would get more use out of each.

Also, to sell this to the wife, I think it would have to come with the idea of replacing at least one or two!

It’s an 18”. I have found the size some what limiting, but not outrageously so.

I would definitely get rid of the WSM. I find full packers barely fit a 22 Kettle. Keep that Kettle and dump the wsm. I feel they don't burn as clean as a Kettle anyway.

If you want to go down to two, I think you should go with your favorite gasser and WSM. That would let you grill conveniently, and also BBQ. You would be set up for cooking anything.
IF you wanted to buy the Summit charcoal, you wouldnt have to keep two cookers, especially if you are fine with charcoal all the time. I think you can make about everything on it?

If you want to go down to two, I think you should go with your favorite gasser and WSM. That would let you grill conveniently, and also BBQ. You would be set up for cooking anything.
IF you wanted to buy the Summit charcoal, you wouldnt have to keep two cookers, especially if you are fine with charcoal all the time. I think you can make about everything on it?

Your second statement is kind of what I am thinking. I think the Summit Charcoal would do all of what I do except super fast stuff. I figure it would handle everything all of my charcoal cookers currently do. The gasser would only stick around for those things where I don't want to light charcoal. Even then there are very few of those and other options in the house to where I could conceivably get down to just one cooker.

I consolidated way down back in 2017, and have had absolutely zero regret. I know it’s goes against the Brethren culture, but it feels good to have a clean patio, have a nice cooker or two and master whatcha have. I had a patio full of cookers for many years. Never again :)

As to what cooker(s) to go with, that is completely up to you. For me, it is my MAK and Camp Chef flat top that have been my all time favorite cooking tag team. It sounds like a WSCG alongside your gasser may work best for you.

I consolidated way down back in 2017, and have had absolutely zero regret. I know it’s goes against the Brethren culture, but it feels good to have a clean patio, have a nice cooker or two and master whatcha have. I had a patio full of cookers for many years. Never again :)

As to what cooker(s) to go with, that is completely up to you. For me, it is my MAK and Camp Chef flat top that have been my all time favorite cooking tag team. It sounds like a WSCG alongside your gasser may work best for you.

This was exactly my thinking.

Back