Let's talk about cornbread

I like sweet cornbread and cast iron cornbread that cooks in a blazing hot oven with lots of butter and no flour just stone ground cornmeal. The later is a recipe from Cooks Magazine and it's delicious and gluten free for those that care.

We make this cornbread with blueberries every once in a while, for a change from regular cornbread. To me it's like a dessert, something to eat on its own, such as in the morning with good coffee. So much better than a doughnut or toast whatever. It's from ATK. Not too sweet, not too savory, right in the middle.

Sounds weird to put in blueberries, but we love this stuff, the flavors go very well together. Looks awesome as well.

Always make it in a cast iron skillet. We do not make the honey spread though. So, don't know if that is any good. To me it doesn't need it, it's so good on its own.

I use a thermoworks and pull it out of the oven when it hits 199 200 in a few spots.

Ingredients

• CORNBREAD:
• 1 ½ tablespoons cornmeal, plus 1 cup (5 ounces)
• 1 ½ cups (7 ½ ounces) all-purpose flour
• ¾ cup (5 ¼ ounces) plus 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup whole milk
• 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 2 large eggs
• 10 ounces (2 cups) blueberries

• HONEY BUTTER:
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 2 tablespoons honey
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• Pinch cayenne pepper

Steps

CORNBREAD:
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of light-colored 9-inch round cake pan, then dust pan with 1 ½ tablespoons cornmeal.

2. Whisk flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1 cup cornmeal together in large bowl. Whisk milk, melted butter, and eggs together in second bowl (butter may form clumps; this is OK). Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Stir in blueberries until just incorporated. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top with rubber spatula. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over top.

3. Bake until golden brown and paring knife inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cornbread cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run paring knife between cornbread and side of pan. Remove cornbread from pan and let cool on rack for 20 minutes.

4. Serve warm.

Back