Hey, you jerks!!!!

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Recently had my first run at jerky, the texture was what I wanted but the flavor was way off. First it was way too sweet (brown sugar) and it was lacking in salt and depth (umami).
Anybody have a cure recipe that would work a bit more to my liking?
Ed

Was going to post a smart @ss comment, but since i generally like helping with jerky, lets start off with the recipe you didn't like.

My base curing brine is pretty well balanced between salty, sweet, and savory.
This is for 5 pounds roughly 3/16" thick ( somewhere between 1/8-1/4 )

Marinate for at least 24 hours, mixing it up at least once after 12 hours.

5lb 3/16 sliced beef
130g pickling salt
10g cure #1
5 tsp MSG
1 cup white sugar
3 cups water
1 cup worchestershire

Note: This is just a base. If you like spicy jerky you can add coarse black pepper, or pureed jalapeno's ect..ect to your liking. I don't suggest adding cayenne powder as it leaves an unpleasant looking color on the finished product.

Jerky recipe

How do you plan to dry the jerky. I use my WSM 22 and maintain a Temp of 125 to 160. If this would work for you I can share my favorite recipe.

I don't use any curing salts for jerky, but I'm happy to share the marinade recipe I use. The flavor beats just about any other jerkys I've tried

* 2 1/2 lbs thin sliced lean beef
* 1/2 cup Worstershire sauce
* 1/2 cup liquid aminos
* 2 tbsp fresh ground coarse black pepper
* 1 tbsp garlic powder
* 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
* 1 tbsp hot sauce sauce (whatever you like, I use Marie Sharp's Habanero)
* Lightly smoke with hickory and mesquite

Reduce red pepper and use a mild hot sauce for a fantastic mild peppered jerky.

Give the jerky a day or so for the smoke to mellow out.

How do you plan to dry the jerky. I use my WSM 22 and maintain a Temp of 125 to 160. If this would work for you I can share my favorite recipe.

That is the issue. ModelMaker made a very vague post asking for a recipe that is better then a recipe he failed to post. It is our job to decipher and reverse engineer this recipe without the recipe he used and didn't like.

We have our work cut out for us.

Note: I gave him the benefit of doubt, but he monitored this thread and hasn't posted since. So i am done helping those who don't want help.

That is the issue. ModelMaker made a very vague post asking for a recipe that is better then a recipe he failed to post. It is our job to decipher and reverse engineer this recipe without the recipe he used and didn't like.

We have our work cut out for us.

Note: I gave him the benefit of doubt, but he monitored this thread and hasn't posted since. So i am done helping those who don't want help.

For Christs' sake man, put your growly self in time out!
I posted this thread late yesterday and it's now 8:30 am. Much as I would like to I don't live here.

The ingredients were;
5 lbs pork belly
5.7 G pink salt #1
5 T, brown sugar
5 T. Kosher salt
3 T, + 1 t. black pepper
1.5 t. red pepper
1 T. Garlic powder

As I said, too sweet, needed more depth. I have since noticed there was no where's your sisters sauce, or soy. I think that's the problem.
Wont use MSG (devils powder).
So if any of you have a recipe you really like and you would share a link or the recipe itself, I would be very thankful.
I may not respond to each one of you within 10 minutes, but I will see it and be appreciative.
Ed

Oh, and Itsdone, take your cure and your snarkyness and kindly place them up your arse.

For Christs' sake man, put your growly self in time out!
I posted this thread late yesterday and it's now 8:30 am. Much as I would like to I don't live here.

The ingredients were;
5 lbs pork belly
5.7 G pink salt #1
5 T, brown sugar
5 T. Kosher salt
3 T, + 1 t. black pepper
1.5 t. red pepper
1 T. Garlic powder

As I said, too sweet, needed more depth. I have since noticed there was no where's your sisters sauce, or soy. I think that's the problem.
Wont use MSG (devils powder).
So if any of you have a recipe you really like and you would share a link or the recipe itself, I would be very thankful.
I may not respond to each one of you within 10 minutes, but I will see it and be appreciative.
Ed

Oh, and Itsdone, take your cure and your snarkyness and kindly place them up your arse.

I was just teasing man. relax.

I don't care for soy sauce, i think it overpowers the beef flavor. The amount of salt to water ratio is equivalent to the sodium level in regular soy sauce. So you would get the same saltiness as 3 cups of soy sauce. You get most of that umami flavor from the worchestershire sauce in my recipe so you can omit the MSG if you are allergic. You don't have to try my recipe, but going by the recipe you used and didn't like, I would suggest reducing the sugar in my recipe to 1/2 cup.

I don't care for soy sauce, i think it overpowers the beef flavor. The amount of salt to water ratio is equivalent to the sodium level in regular soy sauce. So you would get the same saltiness as 3 cups of soy sauce. You don't have to try my recipe, but going by the recipe you used and didn't like, I would suggest reducing the sugar in my recipe to 1/2 cup.

This is where liquid aminos come in handy. Similar to soy sauce, but lighter, less salty, and still provides the flavor profile and umami

This is where liquid aminos come in handy. Similar to soy sauce, but lighter, less salty, and still provides the flavor profile and umami

Yeah, you can use liquid aminos or soy sauce instead of the salt and water. Its just my personal preference to use salt and water. Its also cheaper.

Recently had my first run at jerky, the texture was what I wanted but the flavor was way off. First it was way too sweet (brown sugar) and it was lacking in salt and depth (umami).
Anybody have a cure recipe that would work a bit more to my liking?
Ed

There is a tutorial posted on the community forum with several recipes.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=155

NOTE * * *
Keep in mind that the amount of TenderQuick is not directly interchangeable with the same amount of pink curing salt.

Guess I'm one of the few non jerky fans here. But good luck with your future efforts!

Yeah, you can use liquid aminos or soy sauce instead of the salt and water. Its just my personal preference to use salt and water. Its also cheaper.

I actually didn't even see that you posted a recipe that included water until just now, I was just commenting about an alternative to overly-potent soy sauce. If it works well, I'm cool with salt water :thumb:

I actually didn't even see that you posted a recipe that included water until just now, I was just commenting about an alternative to overly-potent soy sauce. If it works well, I'm cool with salt water :thumb:

It brings out the beef flavor better instead of drowning it with soy sauce. Like i said, the Worchestershire sauce brings out the flavor of the beef and gives a nice umami flavor without overpowering. But worchestershire sauce is not salty enough to use by itself, hense the salt+water ratio.

You wont find this anymore , but back in the day you could go to a gas station and find a tall jar that had long strips of beef jerky in it. They cost a dollar each. They probably weighed close to what these garbage company's charge for 2 oz of plastic pieces of beef jerky. My recipe is similar to the beef jerky of back then.

Wow, I just realized TS is using Pork belly to make Jerky. I am definitely an idiot for not noticing it.

Back